Dumars: Trades, free-agent signings possible

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by markie8002000, May 1, 2009.

1. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

Victor Claver has signed today a 3 years contract with Pamesa Valencia,but he will go to draft in order to be eligible in second round because he is a younger 2,09 cm SF,international with spain. He has a nba buy out too cheap 400000 $ every final of seasson,and meanwhile he play a lot of minutes in the 5 team of acb.
    About herman,here in valencia it´s said nothing about Walter since last summer,surely he will finish in Unicaja, if he return to spain,Claver and Hermann play in same position, SF,Pamesa valencia has not money for two starters at same position,prefer develope Claver because is cheaper and has future despite injury this seasson.

Link in spanish about
    ACB

I don´t know what could be happen with pistons roster this summer,but we must be patience with deals,6 years in elite is difficult to keep with a veteran core and very low first round picks year by year.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Still like a lot of things that Sheed does and also think that he is still physically capable of performing at a Championship level. But the self discipline, desire, and energy level required to play the right way seem to have faded. He's a great 3-point shooter, but he's 3 happy. He's a great post player, but he rarely calls for the ball and usually ends up taking a quick fadeaway when he gets it.

If he were traded to a contender and was asked to be the missing piece, I think that he could probably work up the energy to be a good inside-outside force again... at least for 1 more season.

We will surely miss his defense and his intelligence with the ball (very sure handed and smart passer for a big man). Also, he's a good rebounder when he is in position, which is why his defensive rebounding is so good and his offensive rebounding is so bad. His best quality is his fundamental defense on the game's best big men.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Agreed.

This is why we really need to chase a very talented player like Boozer as opposed to what I feel is a interim center in Kaman. Kaman isn't going to win you any ball games even if his game is relatively solid in the paint. So, if we're going to have the kind of money we think we will, we need to use it on an impact guy...not a 'hope he can' guy.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I totally agree.

I firmly believe that if Sheed is in a good situation (decent roster, good coach, chance to win, etc.), he'll flourish.
    Put Sheed in a bad situation (suspect roster, weak coach, no direction, etc.), he'll simply "check out".
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm high, but not on Kaman. I was being sarcastic. I too am puzzled by people's lust for a C and how this is the path back to the title. I think for the most part it is simply a matter of player A not being Sheed that puts a shiny coat on them.

I don't see a team out there that is still playing that runs their offense through a C. Orlando would be sunk with their jump shooting big men and how much resistance is an athletic freak like Howard really providing against LeBron on D?

Does anyone think CLE wishes they had Sheed & Dyess in this series instead of Z and Varajao?
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You mean instead of Z, Varejao, and Big Ben?
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Do you think the Pistons were calling plays where Sheed was supposed to go into the post and he simply didn't and broke them off and went and stood out by the 3 pt line instead?

To me, it seems the overwhelming majority of plays the Pistons run are for their guards, specifically Rip.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Why would it be a 2 for 3 deal? That doesn't seem fair. I'm going starting C + PF for each other.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good question. I'm not really sure what has been going on for the past 5 years, but my best guess is that when they call plays for Sheed in the post, he still avoids the paint, so they quit calling them after a while. Having an isolation fade away jumper with no chance of drawing a foul is not really that great of an offensive option. It's OK, especially if he draws attention or if he has a weak defender on him, but not something that you want to repeat over and over against a good team.

At the start of the year, MC talked about how it was essential to get Sheed back into the type of shape necessary to work in the paint. He correctly pointed out that it very taxing on a player's energy level. Maybe as the season went on, MC realized that Sheed wasn't in that kind of shape and that it would be foolish to force the ball through a player that wouldn't be able to hold up.

Another factor IMO is that his progression from 2004 through 2009 was very gradual. His mix slowly changed and there was never a true breaking point where it became obvious. He always shot a high enough percentage from deep that nobody could point to that and tell him to stop. Explaining the opportunity costs from having 1 less player filling a big man role on offense was never really done.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was just adding in some trade filler I guess.
  11. Stereodave

Stereodave First Round Draft Pick

I said Sheed is the best free agent available but I didn't say I was happy about it and I didn't say we should sign him. I was thinking we have to trade for a starting center and a starting power forward because we don't have either and they are not in the draft or on the free agent market. They are not very easy to trade for either. :ohwell:
    Kamen, Bosh, Okur, Milsap. These all sound a lot better than the unrestricted free agents out there.
  12. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I hear ya! I just don't think Sheed is the best available maybe if we were looking at this list 3+ years ago. He's lost his edge. Is Okur would be great to have back. I hated to see him go....
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe this isn't what you mean, but I remembered looking at this data at some point...

In Sheed's last part season in Portland he took 26% of his FGAs from three.

During the two Larry Brown years he took 25% and 22%.

Then Flip showed up and it was 41%, 35%, and 36%. With Curry he reached 44% this season. So, not that gradual a change in terms of where he shot from, looks more to me like a clear mandate from the coach to go outside.

I don't think doubling the share of your shots that come from beyond the arc is something a player decides to do (22% to 41%) on his own. That has to be a deliberate choice of the offense.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point... maybe not so gradual in terms of his shot selection. And I can't really find any stats to support that his 2003 through 2005 offensive game was any better than his 2006 through 2008 offensive game. His eFG% and TS% actually improved after LB left.

I wouldn't say that offense was really our problem for the last few years either, so it is sort of hard to blame Sheed for something offensively related. Offense was only our problem in the ECF's, and that is to be expected in the Eastern Conference.
  15. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly. Very few if any NBA teams ever have an offense that is dictated by the players and NO teams have an offense run or not run solely at the behest of one player all year long.

I think that's been the point I've been trying to make for years. The offense dictates what kind of shots a team (not just individual players) works for and/or ultimately ends up taking.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a shocking comparison for you re: Sheed and Chaunce. No real reason for this comparison other than it is so unbelievable.

In 70 games this season (reg season + playoffs), Sheed attempted 101 free throws and made 78.

In 14 playoff games this season, Chauncey has attempted 110 and made 100.

If we only look at Sheed in the post season, then he was 0-0 from the FT line (undefined percentage!).
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You know there is more than offense in basketball . . .

I would think watching Dwight Howard abuse every defender he comes into contact with would highlight that.
  18. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And on a semi-unrelated note...

CB has already shot 15 more (and made 21 more) free throws this season in 14 playoff games than he did last season in 15. Assuming the same pace for the next game he will have shot 24% more FTs this season than last in the same number of games.

Yeah, there was the hamstring, but this isn't your grandma's CB either.
  19. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Well, it is being reported that the Bucks are looking at Johnny Flynn really hard, he is by the way a PG. As a result of this love affair, it is being speculated that they will not be able to sign Ramon Sessions.

If this is true, Joe needs to put a bid in for this guy, he is starter material, moving Stuckey to his natural SG position, bring Bynum off the bench to play along with Stuckey and our backup SG.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

I think that when LB left and Flip came the guards controlled the ball a lot more. Brown used to hammer Rip and CB when they didn't pass the ball. I doubt it was by design, it was probably more Flip's laid back demeanor that led to this. The increase in Sheed's 3 point shooting to some extent was a result of this.