1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

DUMARS TURNED DOWN 3 TEAM TRADE

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BG*CV*STUCK, Jul 11, 2009.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

yea those dumb GM's need to consult us brilliant fans more... what are they thinking :p

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We can understand what the players do on the court, perhaps not in as sophisticated a manner as the experts, but we know who has a jumper, who has range, who can crossover, who plays hard etc.

We can observe action.

But there are a lot of fans who judge intent. Something that we have no means of knowing. Certainly, GMs have much more access to the personalities and disposition of the players, both their positives and negatives, than any fan could hope to have.

So when people sometimes say, "player X was feeling Y, and if he would have felt Z then he would have done W" is mostly just a projection of our own actions had we been in their position, as we perceive them (very limited due to our lack of intimacy).

Joe may have no plans. He might be absolutely clueless. I don't know. I know if he makes a move, it means he had some plan, because all action is purposeful. The absence of a trade, (to me) does not signify that there are no plans to trade. As I understand it, GMs are on the phone all the time, talking about trades and player movements, nearly 365 days of the year.

3. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

of course, Roscoe. I am not trying to tell JoeD what he has to do; but from what I have seen, he was eager to sign CV and BG as soon as possible. I understand the CV signing but I still don't get the BG thing - as I said, a team that has NO real PG and NO real C but already 4 SG (Bynum is probably more of a SG than a PG, plus RIP, Afflalo and Stuckey who also isn't a real PG yet) shouldn't sign a SG, unless there is something fixed to get a C in exchange for one of the too many SG's - especially a team that already knows (or should know) that the situation with 2 SG's doesn't work out too well.
    Now every team knows (or should know) that JoeD really needs to get rid of RIP, who is overpaid (that's another thing, JoeD obviously intended to keep the CB/RIP combo for longer than he actually did) and plays a position at which there are lots of good players in this league for a position that is thin with almost every team in the league. If he gets Boozer for RIP, everything makes sense. If he really keeps RIP because there are no alternatives I'm officially off the JoeD bandwagon on which I have spend alot of years.

4. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

And the moral is . . . I'm just mess with you. Good morning everyone.

5. roscoe36

Morning Bro! :)

6. roscoe36

Charlie V will start. I don't believe Joe is pursuing Boozer.

Bynum is not more of a SG than a PG. He is as much a PG as Jameer Nelson and Chauncey Billups circa 2003.

I have a feeling Gordon will start. The odd man out may be Stuckey, who is not in Vegas, and whom the newspapers neglect to even mention anymore.

It's only July. The magic show is still in the first act.

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yeah yeah, otherwise, how could we survive such a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng a$$ summer ?

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

i have a feeling you are right here. Third year players can play in the summer league right and I believe Stuc should be their. This dude still has some learning to do.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think Dumars has a problem with Gordon and Rip both being here. Somewhere along the way Joe has become consumed with finding the next Vinnie Johnson.

10. BG*CV*STUCK

BG*CV*STUCK Second Round Draft Pick

Hoping BG7 comes to D like CB7 did and learns how to be a real pg and become the next pure pg :D

11. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe and then again, maybe not. It use to be that crowds where never organized and deep perceptions went to the "in-crowd". As closeness becomes evermore linked, you have unique opportunities to combine a unified voice that dances to the tune of a refined cultural perception. Do not underestimate it and this will become stronger. A very good example of this was the Stockholm tribute to Michael Jackson. Notice the beginning and ending (disorganization/dispersement) and then the collective core of it's statement...a very powerful statement. In a sense, it turned the collective consciousness on it's head.

YouTube - Michael Jackson Tribute - Stockholm. July 8, 2009

12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brilliant stuff. One of my dad's favorite quotes: The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

13. pass99

I believe CV and BG will start.

Stuckey is fortunate to be a dependency factor for JD. It will be an important year for him.

All this silliness about 3 gurard rotation and BG as a PG is a non-factor. It simply won't happen unless JD has thrown out the season.

The Pistons desperately need some leadership. Can you trade for it? It is a very big question. I generally think not, but opportunities do arise.

Andre Miller is the person the Pistons need for PG. Talented and a very heavy IQ for floor leadership. Unbelievable that this guy is still around and this no doubt is because of his (or his agent's) high perception of his abilities. When he comes down to financial realities, some team is going to get a top-five PG. He is only 33 and healthy. I would pick him over the most recent signings of any major PG. Only Nash is to his equal to one who is not wrapped-up by a long contract.

I could list the positives (at least a dozen) about this guy, but why bore the lumpish administrators of this organization.

14. roscoe36

Without a doubt.

But there are known unknowns, and while it's fun to fantasize, we rush to every newspaper article and quote, because we really don't know what the players are thinking, or how they feel. We're constantly seeking to be informed. This is why CV31's Twitter channel is so exciting to follow. It fills in gaps as a speech by Neil deGrasse Tyson declared, The God of the Gaps. We mystify that which we do not understand, and always have as a species.

There has been a big move away from the game on the court, to being empathic with the celebrity of the players. I think it is a product of our fast paced, up close and personal, multimedia culture. I'm not judging it, but like reality TV shows, it's not my cup of tea.

I like the business and on court strategizing. What they wear, or how many houses they built for the united way is irrelevant to me. So when we talk about what Joe has and has not done, I don't view it through the lens of collecting and removing individual personalities, but assembling enough pieces to be able to play a proper and respectably competitive chess match come Nov 1 without compromising the 3 year plan.

15. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Cosigned

16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I agree with you . . . which is why it's funny to read about Joe's big plaaaans.

17. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

Assuming that the big trick at the end of the magic show is a championship, we are barely at the beginning. We aren't getting one of those this year if we trade rip for dwight howard because our team has no identity, a new coach and are not in a position to compete with the big spending teams of the east or west.

The second act won't start until we can get some depth at every position, and, sadly, that won't come this season. Next season, regardless of how much cap space we get, we'll be adding new players to the team with our MLE and probably our Biannual exemption. What Joe is setting us up so we can finesse the cap rules to get right up to the tax line so we can have a deep roster a few seasons from now.

Hopefully by then, Q will have taught our team how to run and play D, shaq will have retired, the Magic will have gone bankrupt, and the celtics will have imploded. This draft and these signings will be part of creating the initial nucleus, but what the final core of the team will look like is definitely going to be different from what it is now, and what it is when the season starts.

Since the big moves aren't really needed for right now, (for us to survive this season and still make the playoffs without injuring people) I think Joe is going to take his time with these trades. I think he especially wants to see if any of these summer league players can fill in some spot time at PF/C so that he doesn't have to do anything rash. Given that we are barely into Act I of the show, I am glad thats what he is doing.

18. roscoe36

Great post!

I am laughing so hard.

19. pass99

To gain your confidence (or some sort of futuristic justification level), you are whistling as you walk past the cemetery.

Unless you do limited nothings (which is my take on your direction), then you have quiet questions on who the starting five will be come November 1. Obviously we don't know and many agree that we are only half way there.

Let us take care of business that now faces us. Leave the planetary excursions of bench strength, as the holy grail, for those that don't have a 3 year plan or think stability on five (by body placement value), is a good projection for another Star Wars movie.

If JD's 3 year plan involves the solidification (as recently shown) of leadership levels sans coaching abilities; then we are looking toward the 1930's (five year plans) of Russian wheat fields collectives.