Dumb and dumberer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great discussion going on here. Thank you Lee for getting this started. I'm going to go back through all this, ingest it, digest it, and poop something out a little later.

You guys are all great.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That has always been Joe's problem though. Trader Jack didn't have an open door policy. The players and Daly were expected to work things out, as it is done in most other NBA cities. Daly was accountable to the GM for the performance of the team, but not for every pregnant dog and gripe.

Because Joe has this nutty policy where the players can go around the coach, every coach is undermined by his veterans.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

The way I look at it...if Tim Floyd could last 3+ seasons with the misera-Bulls...coach Q should be here at least three years. This year ain't about the coaching. He's doing a decent job with a unbalanced roster and every player getting at least one ankle sprain. I find it hard to believe we are laying this on the coach. I guess we have no one else to pick on at this point and the forum needs a villain.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Rascoe???
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sorry Wiggles, there is no excuse for the last 18 mo. We have 3.5 allstars on the team and can't hang around .500.
    Can you smell the teal?
  6. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

Or me?:gun1:
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

We have 3.5 all stars that have been hurt all year.

My feeling is that we were showcasing some of these guys coming back from injury so Q still was not allowed to coach the way he wanted. Now that the deadline is over; I hope rotations come about that include more of the rookies and less small ball.
  8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...Q's hands have been tied for the most part. He has job security IMO. We are playing for a lottery pick this year. Folks in the forum are rooting for us to lose...you can't have it both ways.
  9. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We shall see tonight.

Q will probably become a more confident coach next year. After all if he doesn't get fired this summer, he'll join the ranks of Larry Brown, Flip Saunders and Rick Carlisle as the longest serving coaches in Pistons history under Joe Dumars. That's some unique company there.
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I think Q is very comfortable with the fact he will be back. I think when Joe sat at the press conference and joked about Q's job security; it was something the two of them had already talked about.

Joe is not dumb and he knew going in that there was going to be some rough roads. I think he planned on Q just being able to keep the ship afloat until the trade deadline when the roster would be rebalanced.

Unfortunately he could not foresee the injuries. I think he was hoping Q could keep the team just above .500 with the "individuals" playing well on the squad; but just not gelling because of the imbalance. He was then planning on a move to restore the balance and move into a competitive position.

Best laid plans of mice and men.
  11. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

who are you counting here as allstars? Rip.... and?
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

And to think sometime in the latter half of 2008 some folks thought it couldn't get worse than it was back then. :)
  13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Last time I counted we have no all-stars.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wouldn't have such a problem with things if we were actually trying to rebuild.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Just as Joe is showered with praise when he does well, he will be criticized when he does not. And he has really dropped a lot of balls in the last season and a half.

This forum is not like others, in that while we're fans, many of us for more than 2 decades, we're not going to blow smoke at the franchise when we're outside the top 25 teams in the L.

To adopt an "it's all good" because it is our team, is to be the sort of fan who cheers regardless of the quality of what he is cheering for.

For me at least, I want a team I can be proud of, not to cheer mediocrity and failure. The Lions fans have done that, and their reward has been 5 decades of futility.
  16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

who said we were not trying to rebuild?
  17. Walter

Well, not a full all-star. We have half a star in Rip, Gordon, Tay, Stuckey, CV, Wallace and JJ. It adds up to 3.5 all-stars.
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I totally agree... but folks were saying 3.5 allstars over the last 18 months...

I don't think anybody over the last 2 seasons should be in the same sentence as all star when it comes to the pistons.

The only player on the team that has been even close with production would be Rip.
  19. Walter

We had an All-Star starter last year.
  20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Kind of feel maybe you are talking about me. I rooted on the Pistons when they were the worst team in the league. I went to lots of games at the Silverdome when the seats were cheap indeed, and loved it. And I won't stop cheering them on. I won't stop watching the games. Win or lose. Well, I might slow it down some - but even at their worst I doubt you will find many people paying them more attention than I do. I love watching the Pistons, and I love this board because I get to "talk" to people about my favorite subject.