Dyess coming back?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Tha Locstah, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Where will Dyess end up?

1. Pistons

80.0%
  2. Celtics

5.0%
  3. Other

15.0%
  1. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

What's everyone's take on the Dyess situation? What do you think the odds are that Dyess comes back to the Pistons? Will another team such as the hated Celtics sign him before we have the chance (we have to wait 30 days)?
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I was thinking his loss he every other Pistons gain.
    Now I'm thinking we need him very bad, still.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

McDyess doesn't like KG and has called him the "P" word a few times. I can't see them being on the same team.
  4. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I see Dyess coming back.
  5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Me too. I was reading the other Dyess thread and I think there may have actually been some sort of "understanding" between all involved that Dyess would come back. I really hope that is the case because our bench is hurting without him.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I see Dyess either coming back or signing w/ another team (not the Celtics). I would say HOU and the surprise candidate would be CLE b/c of his strong relationship w/ BW (then again his dislike for Vare-whatever might override that).
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I would guess that Dyess has some loyalty to Joe D. He's been treated extremely well here and has gone very deep in the playoffs for many years in a row. Joe just has to promise to make it up to him salary-wise next year. That type of thing can be enforced through his agent.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The question is does that loyalty hold if he was traded (and traded as filler) and knew nothing about it?

I hate this 30 day thing. That's way too much time for people to get in his ear.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I want to believe that Joe prepped his agent and/or Dyess for this before hand. Dyess seemed to know exactly what to do after the trade: not lead Denver on, not talk too much about anything, be somewhat difficult to deal with, yet professional. And he agreed to a buyout number very quickly. I would have thought that he would drive a harder bargain (maybe that amount was pre-arranged too).

The benefit to Dyess in this scenario is that he will have a choice next year for which team he plays with, vs. being stuck in Det for this year and next year before the trade. So, he can take one more ride with Sheed and then go ring chasing next year if need be.

If he chooses to stay in Detroit next year, then I think Joe will fulfill the quid pro quo (tossing around legal terms to sound authoritative).
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Makes the most sense. It has been eerily quiet. I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So can any other team sign him during those 30 days? And the expectation is that he would refuse to show up? I am having EC flashbacks.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He's as free as a bird to sign with any team he wants, unless I am missing something. So, he can reject any offer for any reason. He could turn down a $10M offer and come play for us for as low as the vet's minimum if he wanted.

The clearing waivers thing was the catch I believe. Any team could have picked up his existing contract. Then he would have theoretically refused to show up, thereby discouraging anyone from doing so.
  13. coynejeremy

OK, right, so the waivers things is what got EC stuck in New Jersey, right? Because he got waived and not bought out?
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think so, but I think there was also a waivers period here with Dyess. Not really sure.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

This 2nd unit really does need McDyess, I thought Kwame and Max would be fine, but Kwame appears to be the right guy only at the right times. Dyess is that steady Vet needed to unclog the lane for Rodney Stuckey.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

When you get bought out, you have to get past waivers.

Basically, you work out a deal (say 1/2 off the remainder of your contract) and then get placed on waivers for "X" amount of time. Anyone can grab you off of waivers (based on strength of record, worst to best) but they have to assume the full balance of your existing contract.

Usually, players being waived aren't picked up by teams with the cap space to add a decent sized contract. Dice is useless on a bad team that he doesn't want to be on, for a high salary they probably don't want to pay.

Once he clears waivers, the buyout is complete. Then the waiting period starts to come back to Detroit.

You can always check Larry Coon's site
    NBA Salary Cap FAQ

It has a load of info about the CBA and how things related to contracts work.
  17. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Guess it's time to see how much his words are worth.

I hope he comes back though, will be a nervewrecking 30 days.
  18. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Yea, I don't think he owes us anything, but I'd be pleased if he came back.

Maybe that was the intention all along. Anywho, Celtics fans seem pretty confident that they're going to land him, which makes no sense whatsoever, with the amount of bigs (young ones specifically) they have.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The Celts could afford to sign McDyess for the league minimum, just to keep him away from us or anyone else between them and the championship.

The cost to add him is so low, that just shelving him has a tremendous upside for the defending champs.
  20. coynejeremy

Thanks.

Wow. That would truly be low.