Dyess

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Interesting news out of Denver. Nuggets offered $6 mil to buy Dyess out. He's owed $13 mil, so he'd walk away from big money in order to leave Denver. There were already 16 teams that inquired about his availability including Celts, Cavs, Spurs. Pistons have $1.6 mil available if they were to sign him. He also seems to be upset by trade, so going back to Detroit is not a given, that is if he does accept the buyout offer. Celts and Spurs have about $2 mil each to offer, Cavs have about $5 mil. Would he want to come back to Detroit and do we want him back? And also, does Joe want him back?
  2. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I want him back. I like Dyess. Especially since the price is right and to keep him from going to the enemy. If Dyess is angry, one meeting with Dumars will alleviate that. Dyess is smart. He will understand that this move has set up the Pistons for years to come. It was a no brainer. And it had nothing to do with Dyess as a person or an athlete. Pure business.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I want him back.
    Hopefully, he'll see a good chance of getting a ring in the D.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I would be bitter too, but it is a business. No one wants to be traded or released from a championship caliber team, as witnessed by the public emotional outburts by both Dantley and Mahorn back during the BB era. At least Mahorn was eventually welcomed back.

Since Dice cannot comeback to the Pistons for 30 days, (or is that still true) the question is can we wait it out or do we need to find another big man (younger) to plug in there.

Right now we have Kwame and Max to fill the holes, but that will not be enough to carry us all the way home. With the diminshing skills of Dice, he may not be enough either, but if he does sign with someone else, Joe has to have some contingency plan in place....I hope.
  5. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

I think Dice will come back here because he said himself that he didnt want to be a ring chaser. Going team to team is not for him and I know that if he really thinks about it, he knows it was about business and that business comes first in the NBA hands down. I think Dice will be happy to be back here.
  6. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I am not sold on the fact the he is upset. He has been in the business long enough to know how things work. Maybe this is part of the act to keep people guessing. He was here when LH got let go and picked back up. He knows Joe will take care of him and that his best chance for a ring is here; especially if AI gels with the rest of the club.

Dice just needs to take the month off, rest up and come back with that same fire he has had. AI will help set up that jumper of his so he better be in the gym shooting every day until he can report back to work.
  7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

also.... dyss and dumars may be doing a puplic dance after the mess that happened with dallas last year... just food for thought
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's tough to know how much nodding and winking was going on. Everyone is probably on their guard after Stackhouse shot his mouth off last year.

If he came back he could earn 7.6 this year with the buyout and what the Pistons can spend. But he loses a guaranteed year.

I find it hard to believe he'd go to Boston. Others have posted about his relationship with Garnett. The Cavs would be hard pressed to put him in front of Ben or Vercinetorix, and if they are spending, I'm not sure that's the best place. The Spurs could make a serious run, and Dyess would be happy in a warm place.
  9. mikhail1973

I'd love to have Dyess back, but if I had to choose where he'd sign, I'd prefer Spurs. They can definitely use him.
    I'd hate seeing him in green. :granade:
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It is acting.

He wants to get the biggest buyout that he can from Denver, and if he wants to come back to Detroit, he needs to make it look like there was no pre-set deal.

The problem may be that he will not get the buy-out he wants from the Nugs and would potentially be losing money in this deal if he came back to Detroit vs. took a higher amount from one of our competitors.

Can we go into lux tax territory for this? I understand that there are lot of people here who aren't sold on Dice, but keeping him here beats giving a direct competitor a sweet shooting, tough rebounding big man with incredible hunger (think of the crying after last years loss).
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Us or him?

Is Joe Smith a better pickup than Dyess for DET?
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

You can never have too much heart on your ball club. We tried Joe Smith once and it didn't work out.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can never have too many quality bigs.

Didn't Dyess lead our team in rebounding last year?
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

dice will be back.
  15. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

He saw how stupid Stackhouse was last year and isn't trying to repeat. :work:
  16. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

That experiment already failed.
  17. mikhail1973

Nuggets report: McDyess mad at Denver : Nuggets : The Rocky Mountain News

Another thing: does any other team have Arnie on their staff to keep Dyess healthy?
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Riight. Dice has only one thing to catch and it is not in Denver.

Nuff said.

I guess, Dice tries politely say to Nugggs management that sry, but you're not championship caliber.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

But if you think about it, we're still spending more money than we would have in order to get Dice back. We're giving AI CB's and Dice's money and now giving more money to Dice. Not that I care, I would love to get Dice back, it's just that I realized that while we're financially better off long-term, right now we end up spending more. We would be getting him "on sale" but we'd still be spending additional money to do so. Basically like any store sale. Like I keep trying to get across to my wife! :)
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer