East Playoffs

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I just hope Howard doesn't have another meltdown and prove to be a distraction to his team with all his selfish technical fouls.
  2. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

From Dwight Howard's facebook:

Good thing. There was NO TAUNT!
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

They played him straight up with Varejao in the OT period... and Howard opened the overtime with 3 straight dunks and finished with 11 points in the period. And he was even making his foul shots.

It's pretty much impossible to defend a team like Orlando when you have a guy like Howard in the post and all of those three point shooters around him. And the reason for that being is that Cleveland has no one on the roster who can contain Dwight, unlike Boston who had Perkins.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think Orlando has the edge, because they seem to be better poised on the court. Cleveland looks distraught. I wouldn't be suprised if they wrap this up on Thursday.

And yes, they have beaten Cleveland pretty consistently over the last 15 games.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Those weren't really post ups though. Cleveland didn't decide not to double him. The plays happened so fast that they weren't able to.

I'm not saying Howard wouldn't get his fair share of dunks, but they'd be better off letting him go for 40 and clamping down on the 3's. The Pistons dominated Orlando because we didn't double Howard. The Pistons beat the Lakers in '04 because we defended straight up. Cleveland is a better team and their current strategy isn't working very well.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

It's the one thing that would turn this series around. Also i think Ben Wallace has actually been playing him best one on one; not stopping him, but at least being smart about it (foul,etc.)
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree about Ben. I would tell Ben to stay in between Dwight and the hoop and never look to help on anyone else's man. Don't foul or do anything else to make Dwight's shots difficult... just try to force him to do something other than dunking. Even a 3 foot shot off the backboard is acceptable. Dwight has less touch than Shaq around the hoop and more touch from the FT line.
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Are you saying Cleveland can play better or are the better team? I think Orlando just simply creates match up problems for the Cavs. This series should be over if it was not for King James hitting that 3 pointer with no time remaining. I agree that Cleveland needs to clamp down on those 3's. Let Howard dunk and do that little hook he has. Those are the only moves he has and he can't put up more than 30pts because he is a poor free throw shooter and is not used to handling the scoring load.
  9. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Perhaps. They still won't be as effective as the Pistons are by single covering him since Detroit actually has a guy that can stop Howard in the post and they clearly do not.

Even by playing Dwight straight up, Orlando will still get their looks at the three point shots unless their pick and roll defense is sewn up. Turkoglu and Alston are running those to perfection, (either getting a clear lane to the rim or kicking out to open shooters) and they are often screening with Ilgauskas' man since he is too slow to hedge and recover in pick and roll defense.

I think Orlando is just a bad matchup for Cleveland because they don't have the personnel to contain them. Winning 11 out of the last 15 meetings prooves this pretty definitively.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Its all about the matchups...The Pistons team has been a bad match-up for the Magic the past few years but since they punked it out in the end, it appears that the Magic will be going to the finals. That is not to say that our currently coached Curry team would have stopped the Magic in the first round or ECF, but we know that they were probably more spooked in facing the Pistons than the Cavs or Celtics or Sixers.
  11. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Starting next year and the year after there will be a model established among NBA to stop the type of game that Orlando plays. Apparently not too many people took them serious after their 5 game exit last year, so not many took notice. They were too busy looking for the model to stop Boston.

The Battiers and the premier perimeter defenders are going to be in HIGH DEMAND. Artest is going to make a LOT of money.

Bottom Line: This year, there isn't a team built to stop Orlando, but eventually the league will adjust... If LA is going to have a chance they are going to have to juggle minutes between Gasol and Bynum, because neither one of them is fast enough to cover the Rashard or Hedo (whoever is at the 4) on the perimeter.

Orlando is Cleveland's WORST NIGHTMARE. Cleveland was constructed to stop Boston. KG's injury was the worst thing to happen to them.
  12. max

max All-Star

Orlando is using one of the most testing and proven formulas. A big guy up front, a premier scorer at the 2/3 and a decent supporting case. So they take a lot of 3's. They can back it up with Howards post-game.

Should be a lot of calls going Clev's way today. Have to see how frustrated I get - may have to turn it off.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

See i feel like ORL plays exactly like a European team. I just think alot of opposing teams play into their hands by doubling Dwight or simply don't have a big to put on him. Howard doesn't have a reliable post game. He's just getting ridiculously easy shots (dunks,etc).

They are fairly easy to shutdown when played correctly. For all the talk about the East being so tough this year, almost all of them have put on a pretty weak showing.

KG's injury made those 2 early round series much more competitive than they should have been.

I don't feel like there are currently any well-defined powerhouse teams; not even the Lakers. All of them seemed to be inconsistent and unsure of their identity.

The Lakers are schizophrenic defensively
    DEN's too stupid to be elite
    ORL is too up and down
    And CLE left their defensive identity at the all star break

It's just like someone will win b/c well there has to be a winner.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Ben Wallace at the 5; Lebron at the 4? Might be their best shot . . .
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've been thinking pretty much the same thing lpg. Now, I know I am going to really anger some people here, but hasn't the league been like this for quite some time? Honestly, didn't we just love the 2004 Pistons for their non superstar team concept? But could they have competed with any of the great teams from yesteryear? Who did they beat out that year? N.J, Indiana, a Laker team on the brink of self destruction? I just don't think they were really that good. Not taking away from the efforts and accomplishments of the Larry Brown coached teams, but really...how good were they from a talent perspective? Compared to the competition (except the Spurs), they were pretty good. But on a larger/historical scale? Not so much. I think if they ever met the Bad Boys, or a Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Earvin Johnson team they would have battled but been run over and smashed to bits.

Just my opinion folks.
  16. The Palace Artest

So basically, no team is perfect.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The refs are unbelievable. The NBA has zero credibility.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Listen, sonny boy! When I was young, men were men. We beat the Germans, built the railroads, took a hard foul, and walked 3 miles through the snow just to go to school. :stirthepot:

Seriously though, I think the biggest difference between todays NBA and the golden team of yesteryear (1980's-1990's) has mostly to do with officiating and rule changes. If the rules were called the same for every player, I'm sure that todays champs would be very competitive with the glory teams.
  19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No, no team is really elite. It's been a long time since we've seen a team that truly is great.

The last team IMO that was that won a title was the 2005 Spurs. They knew who they were, had heart, a fantastic coach and a clear identity. And even then you could argue they pale in comparison to the earlier teams.

It seems like now you just have watered down competition and it's competitive b/c everybody's OK.

I mean the last few champions; the MIA Heat, Spurs-lite, and the Celtics (best of the 3 IMO) . . . What will they be remembered as?

edited to add;

And maybe the reffing has alot to do with that. The NBA manipulating story lines instead of letting the game be decided on the court. This game is a definite example. And frustrating as hell to watch i might add.
  20. The Palace Artest

s'all about getting in to Game 7.

I think the only thing keeping me onto the NBA is my hometown team, and the fact that basketball is a cool game.