Easy Buckets

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Delfino Delivers, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I was looking back at some of our most recent games and some of the first games of the season and was shocked. We are getting 10 fewer shots now then to start the season.

I remember the first few games of the season we were up and down the floor getting easy buckets time and again. We are back to having to work to get baskets in our half-court offense. Is it because Lindsey was our back up and he is more apt to push the ball when he played?

I thought Stucky's game would be faster. Is it because he is learning the set offense or just the way he is going to play? If we can get Amir in the lineup with him it may speed things up vs. the older guys or Brezec.

I just thought we were going to be a little more up and down the floor this year with our younger players to get some easier baskets. That was how the season started but things have changed and we are missing the opportunity to shoot 10 more times a game.

Is this by design because of personnel or something else?
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

You sure we're down 10 possession per game? That seems like a huge change.

Are you taking an average from a range of games then and now?
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think it's Hunter. Seems to me that CB isn't pushing the ball up the floor anymore. He's gotten lazy again and Flip isn't pushing him. If Tay or Rip brings the ball up it's a lot faster.

I distinctly remember being kind of stunned those first games of the season when CB was running up the floor. I bet they're getting into the half court offense three or four seconds later now than at the beginning of the season.
  4. Delfino Delivers

Was only looking at first few games but went back and took first dozen and last. The descrepency is only 3 "shots" per game. I wasn't looking at possessions. May be it just seems like we are working harder to score then when we started the season.

I thought we would try and run more to utilize our speed and youth.
  5. Delfino Delivers

Exactly. I remember CB charging up the floor those first 5 games for easy scores to Rip and Tay. Not any more.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT ANOTHER EASYBUCKETS. LOL

Is there a correlation with our shots and offensive rebounding?
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

In November, the Pistons averaged 79.9 FGA (field goal attempts per game).
    In December, the Pistons averaged 79.4 FGA.

Last season, the Pistons averaged 79.1 FGA.
    Two years ago, the Pistons averaged 80.0 FGA.

I don't things are changing a whole lot....
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

It seems to me that you also have to look at our opponents shots per game over this time frame.

It could be that we are getting fewer shots per game because our defense has improved and it is taking longer for our opponents to take a shot, thereby lower the available time for us to take shots.

:hoops:
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's less about how many shots you get and more about putting yourself in the position to take advantage of times when the defense isn't set. It's just harder to play when you give the defense the chance to set up and get ready for you. And that's what happens when you walk the ball up.

Someone needs to look at the film from the first five game of the season and the last five and compute the average number of seconds it takes the Pistons to get the ball across halfcourt.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tempo does not equal shot attempts necessarily.

a) If we are shooting poorly, then we will get more rebounds and more shots.

b) If we are ahead, we will get fouled down the stretch and have several possessions in a row without shot attempts.

c) If we are trying to increase the tempo, and as a result turn the ball over more, we will show fewer attempts.

I would propose that the best measure of tempo is probably possessions per game, with the caveat that "b" above will skew it upwards. In our case, that should not matter much because our leads have been so big that not many games have turned into foul fests at the end.

The absolute best measure would be "time per offensive possession, excluding possessions after the 2:00 mark in the 4th quarter."
  11. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

One could also measure tempo by the the average number of seconds per possession that it takes to get the ball over the half court line and/or get your shot off.

In this case you would exclude turnovers and possessions when you are fouled in the number of seconds that it took to get your shot off.

:hoops:
  12. Delfino Delivers

I thought about this yesterday and was going to make an adjustment for free throws. You figure that when free throws are shot; a shot attempt is missing. Whether it was a foul in the act of shooting or not.

Not quite as scientific as some of the other suggestions but I have a wife, kids and a job. :pound:
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    All-in-all, statistics are only going to tell you so much. You have to watch game tapes in order to see things like that.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sometimes multiple times... in your basement... with the lotion.