1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Eating my words about Carlos Delfino...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jan 17, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

...and they taste pretty good.

I've called him a crybaby, in-so-many-words, in the past. I laughed at him being upset about being left off the playoff roster. I ragged his apparent lack of motivation thru the summer league. I even coined the nickname 'Playstation' for him last summer.

Now...the truth IMO. Delfino's knee surgeries DID hold him back physically and maybe even psychologically to some degree. Some can argue that LB held him back, but I still think LB was right in doing so...to the point that I think LB may have inadvertently done the best thing he could have for Delfino's career. (Come-on LB haters...I'm ready :boxing: )

After the season started and Carlos got a little PT, I could see that I was wrong about his motivation...he wants to play. He impressed me in the little time he was getting and caused me to reconsider my earlier statements. I've wondered for weeks now why he wasn't getting more PT.

What can I say about yesterday? He showed he has game on BOTH ends of the floor AND got the team fired-up! Flip would be foolish to give him another DNP the rest of the season. He has earned more PT.

I was (gulp) wrong about Delfino. :sorry:

BTW...I would like nothing better than to eat my words about Darko one day while he is still a Piston. ;)

2. Pastor Flournoy

Pastor Flournoy First Round Draft Pick

Now let's just all Hope we are wrong about Darko. I just wish he had the fire that 18 year old had against Shaq last night.

3. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

yes. lb held delfino back. delfino was coming along nicely last year at the start of the season. delfino was sent to the dog house because he took too long to come back from injury. lb also denied delfino valuable playoff experience last year. could have cost us a championship. just think if we had someone to defend ginobli, wade and not hurt us offensively. i don't give lb any credit for delfino's development. he could have been the same player for us last year.

well i'm sure i'm right about darko. isn't it weird that all the others that were in lb's doghouse are now good players for other teams?? delfino, smush, arroyo, memo, mike james and darko all could and can play now. just need oppurtunity.

that 18 year old doesn't have a coach that feels he has to break a player first before he can build him up. darko has always did well against shaq in my opinion.

4. G-man

G-man Starter

I don't think that many people were dissing his game last season. I think they were dissing his attitude, personal discipline & judgement. Everybody knew he was physically hampered.

He did whine. He did run his mouth his mouth repeatedly to the press, something Piston fans aren't used to seeing or hearing from our rostered players. If you're the only one doing it, you'll stand out like the elephant in the corner of the room.

He's quieter this season under Flip. Maybe that's a sign he matured a little and learned a lesson about keeping stuff behind closed doors. Maybe cause he's healthy it's easier to stay content until your name gets called cause you know you're better prepared to make your best showing (something he knew he wasn't capable of last season). Maybe Flips jump shooting O system has him happier than a clam in silty water.

Maybe it's all Larry Browns fault. Double Damn that Larry Brown. :laugh:

I think it's a measure of everything in paragraph 3. And I surely wouldn't under estimate the effect that Flips system has on the mood of a natural jump shooter...it's all goooood..

5. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

coach aside, bynum last night was DEMANDING the ball in the post after Shaq posterized him. Doghouse or not, Darko would not have wanted to go up against the giant like that, its just not his style. Sometimes I wonder if Darko likes basketball, or if he is in basketball because he is over 7 feet tall and thats where the american money is at?

6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

what do you think, how much potential does CD have? Can he be a starter (on another team) producing 15ppg? Can he be a solid bench player- 6th man of the year consideraton?
    Or is his current play all he has- maybe just a lil bit more?

7. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I definately think Carlos Delfino deserves mo' of Mo Evans' PT.

It has suprised me that he has been playing the 2 spot. I know that is where he says he is most comfortable, but I figured given his size, he'd be resting Tayshaun. I kind of thought that was one of the big upsides to having him here, because Tay doesn't get much rest. But out of the starting 5, Rip is probably the weakest at D, so it makes sense.

I can't believe how huge Delfino's hands are.

Aside from the fact that he's kind of weird looking, and I'm not even really sure what makes him so wierd looking, I really like him.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Fino did nothing wrong last year. All he did was defend himself. And refuse to be anybodies boy.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG]

Check that out!

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Was he signing his rookie card for you? :laugh:

11. G-man

G-man Starter

Hmmm. Same eyes..What do you think?

[​IMG]

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i disagree darko hasn't backed down from 1 person in the nba yet. he may not have went against shaq in the same way since he isn't a true post player. in a year darko will be wearing shaq out on pick and pops all night long. i will say 1 thing darko's team would win the game isn't that all that matters.

it has been said that darko had stopped smiling during lb's tenure. i think darko loves basketball because he was in serbia playing since he was a teen and they weren't paying american millions. darko is just unhappy with his role on the team right now. he loves basketball that's why you see how unhappy he is when he doesn't get to play it.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

:mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod: :mod:

Some intervention is necessary, the Darko/Delfino glare is giving me the creeps :faint2:

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That's not an "Alien" from Argentina is it?