1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

ECF Game 1 Celtics vs Pistons Tues May 20 8:30PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by max, May 18, 2008.

1. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

Um. Does "<p>" imply sarcasm? I'm pretty sure Lindsey was a huge positive out there tonight. Amir would get torn to shreds by KG and wouldn't stand a chance holding it down in the post against Perkins. Flip is a good coach, you're just overreacting. Most of you are.

2. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Analysts did say that Sheed has a trey that KG does not. Sheed couldn't hit any of them. KG did once or twice enough to make it matter. Sheed again was inconsistent in hitting fades and rebounding, KG was not. Game difference.

3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, and looked like a team that hadn't played in a while. I'd take that rust if Billups had been able to come back strong, but that didn't seem to pan out either.

For me the loss comes down completely to offensive execution. The Pistons didn't have any. All they ran was iso's (especially in the second half), and that's the worst play in their book.

I used to think Tay just didn't want to throw the ball into a post man. Now I realize that he doesn't know how to set up in order to be able to execute the pass. He always puts himself in the position where his man can both guard him and drop back enough to deny the post pass. Someone should have a little session in practice with him.

4. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I expected them to be slightly sharper in the first, and then we'd get our rhythm in the second half and they tire, nope, they finished stronger just like all 3 regular season games (sans 1 second).

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Y'all are underestimating the Celtics. I think objectively, they are the better team. They had a better season, they have home court, they have been dominating on home court, and the odds are in their favor that eventually they will win a road game.

They have a very deep roster, as deep if not deeper than the Pistons.

Based on the last 6 years, we might be the better franchise and team, but clearly not this season.

Now does that mean we will lose? Heck no.

But people who were thinking we were going to go into Boston and steal game one, and then afterwards get upset that we didn't pull of a small miracle are being unrealistic.

Oh, and GOOD MORNING PISTONS FANS!

6. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Excellent post, welcome aboard, hope I'll be able to hold my tongue long enough to stick around here. Getting close to blowing my stack...

I believe we were +4 in Vegas. I don't think that is a small miracle.

That's not stealing a game when you have a week to prepare (at least half your coaching staff), and rest.

7. roscoe36

Boston held serve. If anything, we showed that with a barely effective Billups, and a wildly erratic Hamilton, and a woefully slow Wallace, we could grind with these guys and stay within single digits on the road in their house of pain.

Jump, Jump, Jump up and get down!

I like our chances to steal game 2 or 5. We just have to hold serve at home.

8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Stuckey plus 5, Hunter plus 8, rat plus 4, the only bench player that wasn't in the plus was max... who still seemed to lack a bit of energy, but he doesn't play with the same energy on the road.

As bad as sheed played he still was the best starter in the plus minus, at minus 6.... Billups really was the deciding factor though, not playing a game for 2 weeks against a team that as game tested as possible playing at home.... I have hope that game 2 will be a game we can steal.

Game 2 is were we see if flip should be here next year or not... does he make the adjustment to fix things or does he try the same game plan again and just hope to make the shots.... we have seen what they plan to do to us, now how does he adjust.

i'll be watching...

9. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Must have been the tights

10. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I agree that subpar games from Sheed and Rip (including, I believe, three turnovers by Rip) were the main factor in this loss. I guess the question is whether, in light of those performances, Flip should have given our best bench players more of their minutes. I do think Flip should have done that, at least when things began unraveling in the third.

11. roscoe36

Hey man, those are pantyhose! ;) :D

12. dba

Agree. My bet is on game 2.

As long as the offense manages to average more than one pass per possession. :)

13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I agree with this. I think the biggest reason for the Pistons loss was the Boston Celtics. Pierce, Garnett, and Rondo played exceptionally well. 26 assists on 36 made baskets is excellent team ball. I think the Pistons did a great job of hanging with a team that was on fire.

It's time to see if Flip can make a few defensive adjustments and come back strong against the C's.

Sheed, Chauncey, Tayshaun, Stucky, and Rip need to hit their shots. :hoops: The Pistons got decent looks, but half of their shots rimmed out or were just off the mark. Gotta fix that.

Lindsey was amazing. I'm would like to nominate myself as the new President of the Lenz Huntah Fan Club!

We'll get the next one. Go Pistons!

14. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

Actually the problem with that play was 1. Pierce was playing good D. 2. Tay had a bad angle...BUT the main reason for the bad angle was that the man in the post was pushed out too far from the Block. He needed to be lower to create a better passing angle...but the good D in the post (or the bad positioning by the player) made it difficult.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Chauncey has been our plus/minus leader for a few seasons straight now. And not just marginally, he dominates that stat and is up with the league leaders. That is why it is so rare for him to be the worst on the team, which he was last night. If Mr. Big Shot would have played in that game, we probably would have overtaken them.

KG had a very nice shooting night and Sheed looked frustrated. We're going to need that mismatch to level out a little bit. A litte here and a little there, and we'll be winning.

On the positive side, Dyess was really hitting his shot last night. And Stuckey and Lindsey did a pretty good job in relief. And yes, Afflalo could be very useful here. He can shadow Ray Allen and has the versatility to help out on Rondo/ Pierce, etc. I would bet that Flip wants to play him, but didn't feel like it was right last night.

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think everyone (fans, pundits) was expecting the following scenario: pistons steal game 1 against a tired celtics team, lose game 2, hold serve at home, and win the series at home for game 6. so that didn't happen, but guess what, we can still win game 2 and put ALL of the pressure on boston.

i have to wonder if some of you are watching the same game, complaining about theo and lindsey. guess what, we outscored boston when they were on the floor! theo got physical with garnett and picked up some fouls to get him out of his rhythm, while lindsey played great defense and even hit a 3 that we needed badly at the time. what would AA give us? sure he's a little taller and you could put him on pierce, but he can't hit the 3-ball and he doesn't get the respect of the refs. if anything it's a wash.

maxiell isn't playing poorly but he's not giving us much of a spark, either. at least he starts plays with a pass though.

simply put we lost this game because of chauncey, rip, and sheed. chauncey wasn't aggressive when he could've owned rondo, rip tried to generate too much offense by himself and turned it over, and sheed was just atrocious, terrible offense combined with slow and horrible defense. what were the tights for? why couldn't you stay with garnett? why did they get so many open shots? you guys can complain all you want about the minutes he played in the 1st half, but he was far better in the 2nd which kind of negates that point. rip, what the heck was that pass to tayshaun halfway upcourt that got promptly swiped? i'm all for pushing the ball but don't be an idiot about it.

it's scary when dice is our most mentally composed player on the floor. great game from him. tayshaun wasn't lockdown but at least he had a good offensive game. stuckey was spectacular - garnett cannot and won't block shots like howard because he respects sheed's outside game too much to cheat. we need to exploit that. and flip, when your guys are playing well, leave them in there. and stop with the 'dribble in one spot for 12 seconds and then make a move', or the 'isolation backdown where absolutely no one but stuckey makes cuts and tries to generate movement' - that's not a good offensive strategy. and starters, take notes from the bench because they ALWAYS start offensive sets with some ball movement. and what's with that high pick-and-roll that we run? instead of it being effective, our big just stays far out on the perimeter while our guard gets double teamed and we gain nothing from that whatsoever.

i hate when we get a lot of FTs in the 1st half because it means we're getting no calls in the 2nd. some of their 'steals' were clear hacks and reach-ins, plus when pierce PLOWED over stuckey that was an OBVIOUS offensive foul and it never got called. but that didn't decide the game. rondo's steal on wallace in the post was unacceptable because no one yelled to him that rondo was coming around and that he should watch out.

either way, it was a winnable game and the killers were blowing the 39-35 lead and letting them go on a 6-0 run, the atrocious 3rd quarter, and the complete lack of hustle on the defensive end. starters, you're going to have to do better than that. let's hope game 2 is better.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think I'd call Stuckey's game spectacular since he had 0 assists. But at least he was aggressive. I was actually a little baffled when Flip put Chauncey back in the game when we cut it to 6 with Stuckey leading the comeback. But instead of switching Stuckey out, he moved him to the 2 and actually yanked Rip.???

I agree that Stuck could have got that charge call. Similarly, the play where Lindsey took a charge at about mid-court was perplexing. It looked like he took the hit AND never touched the ball as it went out of bounds. Not sure how Boston got that ball back. Sheed also had a nice block that got a bad whistle.

18. dba

True some of the time last night, but I don't think Tay's hesitation to throw the ball into the post is a one game thing. It's a pattern.

Yes. I think a lot of Sheed's offensive success comes off his defense. Getting blocks and steals gets him fired up on offense too. Last night, two steals and no blocks. In fact, only one block for the whole team, and way too much flailing as Pierce as he rolled to the hoop.

Still, as you say, a defensive adjustment or two, and a little bit more CB and they split in Boston.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

They shot 52%.

Udrih sucks. With Scola there was internal drama with his contact in Europe.

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sounds like golf to me.