1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

ECF Game 1 Cleveland May 21 8PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by max, May 19, 2007.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Re: Conf Finals Game 1 Cleveland May 21 8PM

I'd let Jmax at least touch the game ball...a significant difference when the Pistons were going through the motions.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Who's that dancing in the aisles behind Charles? Is that...Warthog?! :laugh:

3. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

Seriously. They were running a why-the-hell-not play, so why not have the guy you've been working so hard to stop all game hit the dagger shot? He really should have been the guy, but going for it is definitely what I would've done in their shoes. We lucked out.

4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

James is such aLOOSER. Satisfied with" a loss"???IN THE ECFINALS!!!!This is why I am more scared of Tony parker than any team with James on it! Wow. Your leader at this level CANT be a 22yr old. Unless his name is magic Johnson and he had Kareem and Bird had Robert Parish.:pound:

5. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Yeah...that was lame. Obviously they missed a great opportunity to steal one on the road.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If we play like we did tonight for the series, they will win their home games and we have to hope that we get all of the home cookin available to win this one in seven. If they had shot better tonight or if Labron had got some friendly superstar calls, we'd be down one just like last years ECF.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think that last shot was planned. Go for the win with the low % three. Vet teams take the layup and win it in overtime. (multimillionaire) Kids go for the win.

8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed. We're clearly a better team than the Cavs, but that doesn't mean we can mail this series in.

Sheed has been playing like a man possessed lately, especially on D. SEVEN blocks tonight!

Absolutely. We give it to him when he wimps out, but we've got to hand it to him when he mans up as well.

I think you nailed it. He's 22 years old and disgustingly talented. He's playing like a kid who thinks his career is just starting and that he'll have plenty of other opportunities to get his rings. But we know that doesn't always happen. I think its a combination of nievity, arrogance and an under developed killer instinct.

9. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

Did anyone catch exactly what happened when JMax tore down that rebound and got it out to Chauncey? I think he hypnotized the whole Cavs team into thinking the play was over!

"Watch it again and you'll see there's really no other explanation."

See Mike Brown shouting at Pavlovich: "You weak minded fool! He's using an old Jedi mind trick!" :sssh:

10. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

One of the biggest plays of the game was by JMax, a guy who didn't have a single shot attempt all night, with his tip out of Donyell's miss. Until we controlled that posession the game was still up for grabs. It's great to see the young guy show that kind of composure in some of the most important minutes of his NBA career to date.

11. max

max All-Star

It was a good play. I don't care what Barkley says. Marshall was wide open and it was a great pass. The odds on that shot were probably around 75%.

12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:pound: :pound: :pound:

13. jammertime

I agree. If you're the Cavs, that's a darn solid play. When you're the underdog you try to get in and out as quickly as possible. You don't go in there and stand toe to toe with the champ.

Your best 3pt shooter wide open in the corner for a potential game winning shot to steal game 1 on the road. He just missed. That single shot had the power to swing the entire complexion of this series.

We dodged a huge bullet on that one.

14. max

max All-Star

I know. Catch that post-game bit with Rip? He said that leaving Marshall wide open is exactly what they did not want to do. I had a relapse of game 5 against the Spurs while that shot went up. Like LB said, something like - never leave a shooter wide open in that situation.

We got lucky. Sometimes you need luck, we got some tonight.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

That was a very exciting game. Neither team got all that far ahead, and I think the Pistons never got more than about 6 up on Cleveland. The game had my heart pounding something fierce toward the end. I absolutely loved seeing Jason Maxiell play most of the 4th quarter, right along with Rasheed Wallace. A great combination up front for us.

I loved watching this game, and I really enjoyed reading many of your comments before writing this game up. Lots of good stuff. Lots of stories. I will start with the refs. Not really any hint of James getting any special treatment, and James had a very ordinary game. I mean ordinary for an average NBA player. Some say Tay did bad. Some say Delfino did little. Did anyone notice that these two guarded James into a nothing game? And Tay managed 8 first half assists. Bad game for him? Hardly. James had to score to give Cleveland any chance, and he did not. It was a bit comical (for lack of a better word that is not too vulgar) how the announcer proclaimed that James would be the leading scorer before the end of the game. I think the guy needs to retake tea leaves 101.

Now for the real scoring hero for the game, Rip Hamilton. His steady shooting, from all over the court, kept us in this one in the first half when nobody else could hit a shot. He had a turn or two by the way, but considering all the times he handled the ball, he did very well indeed as far as that goes.

Which leads the the guy who could not get an assist, and could not quit turning the ball over in the first half. Not to mention he scored close to zero (or was it zero?) in the first half of the game. Billups looks totally out of it. Yeah, they say that Cleveland was keying on Billups, but hey, he was just throwing the ball away. Which is a good thing in a way. We still won. Billups can, if we need it, get aggressive on scoring in the first hafl. If we need it. Ok, too long.

Webber did not match up too well with Big Z, yet Webber was bringing it inside some. Sheed was too, and in all I can't complain about our inside presence. A bit about Big Z. He made some clutch shots, and some clutch free throws, when his team needed it. He boarded well. Darn good game for the guy. Could they go to him more next game. Catch 22 there. If they go to him more, then how about Hughes, Gooden, James, etc, who all need shots too. No equation turns out too good for Cleveland.

Dale Davis put in some good minutes. Got inside 3 times, converting the 2nd two times. Got some boards, played some good D. And gave us, get this, a five man big man rotation. Two more than last year.

Sorry, don't read the following if you don't want to hear about Blalock. Just skip to the next paragraph. Some say Blalock can't play because of his poor outside shooting. Gee, Hunter is shooting horribly, but yet he plays. Whats worse, he is being used for both our backup to Billups and Rip. He looked dog tired out there, and this is just game one. He does know his defensive rotations though, so tired or not, he is still a better option than Murray. Of course, we have better options to use as a backup guard. Tay, Delfino, or Blalock. Amir Johnson could be activated to play some backup small forward, or we could go big and use Jason Maxiell some at small forward. I do love seeing JMAX get his big chance tonight to play in the spotlight. I want more. Good job Saunders for sure, but I want more young, energetic players in the mix.

Billups hit a big three late, got that 3 point play, played some steady ball for about 5 minutes at the end of the game. Not enough to make up for that horrible first half really, but enough that we are talking about a W.

Rip had his usual midrange game going off the curl, but was also knocking down spot up threes, and juking his defender this way and that and nailing jumpers off it. Cooled off in the 2nd half though.

Sheed was solid as can be defending inside, alertly getting over and blocking a lot of shots. A huge three, some inside, right to the basket scoring along with some midrangers. Bad first half on shooting along with most of the rest though.

Dyess was pretty awful. But an energetic awful. Could not shoot at all. And when he does not hit his shots, he kills us. His shots are mostly fades. He is not going to get us any rebounds like that. Again, his game really hurts us, as when he comes in we go even more toward outside shooting. I have seen Dyess go inside more earlier in the season, where is that? Kind of like Corliss. I hated when he tried to shoot outside shots. Dyess can score inside, and he should or sit it out.

I do dearly enjoy being able to talk about so many Pistons after one game. The bench got used pretty extensively tonight. Could it improve, absolutely, but I will take it, be happy, and only complain ever so mildly.

More on the announcers. They sure loved it when Cleveland was up. Perfect game. Got to love that they had a lead. None of that kind of the thing when the Pistons were ahead. Oh well, when the Pistons are up 3-0, and its quite obvious who is going to win this series, I suppose they will slither over to our side of the fence.

Verajou (sp) showed some talent. Very active on the boards, and he can hit some hook shots around the basket these days. Hughes managed a jumper over someone here and there, but nothing steady. They start a guy whose name I can't usually remember, maybe its Pavlovic but don't hold me to it, who shows some talent, but nothing consistent. The announcers were oohing and awing about him whenever they could get a chance. Well, anyway, you know, the guy who left CB open for that huge triple he made. His coach got awful mad at him. That was a Jason Maxiell offensive rebound and an assist for JMAX too, thats what I liked so much about that play.

Ok, so Jason swatted a shot of Bron's that was clearly not going in. And thats about the only mistake he made. I won't count knocking James off his feet on that hard show a mistake by the way. Besides, was it a mistake? What if Bron had made that shot. Jason emphatically slapped it away just to send a message maybe.

Verajou is a young, strong, full of energy type player. Jason Maxiell matched him 100% in these things. And we all know Jason Maxiell can score too. He hardly shot, or maybe never shot, in this game. I personally think Jason should be starting for us, and should be a big part of our offense. Can't wait for the next game. GO PISTONS!!!!!

17. jammertime

Yeah, I just finished reading Roscoe's posting of the post game interviews.

I was thinking the exact same thing! Especially on the replay, watching Sheed running out there to try and close ground.

Absolutely.

18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What did you mean by the 7.?

19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You are joking, right?

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If marshall had made that shot and the Pistons had failed to convert with the six seconds left, that would have been the biggest made basket of the series.....until we won games 2 and 3. But no win in games 3 or 4 would have been as devasting as the Horry shot in game five of the 04-05 finals and another defensive flub by Sheed.

The real issue is that we should have never been in that position. To many turnovers as well as getting out hustled to open the game as once again it appears that the opposing team is prepared and we just showed up to play a pick-up game. I hope this was a wake up call for our guys and not a wake up call for Stern to call on the refs to get Labron to the FT line. if this goes to seven and the ratings increase with each game, you can darn well know that the THE NBA will want Labron in the finals and only are poor shooting will get them there. .

At least 6 of our TO's were due to the Cavs double teaming CB and Tay and the failure of our guys to help out. Got two days to study the tape and secure a home victory on Thursday. Go Pistons. We got to make buckets to reduce their rebounding edge. We stopped Labron...now stop Z and V and this one can be won in six.