ECF Game 4 Celtics/Pistons Mon. May 26th 8:30 PM

Discussion in '2008 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, May 25, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Amir 2 rebounds!!!!!

AA 12 sec!!!!

Seriously though, great game. Dice was the hero. Max wants his minutes back Flip. Sheed was a rock on defense. Chauncey was mixed. Rip came alive. We need to exploit Allen's lack of defense more. Most importantly when it counted, we went INSIDE.

Gotta play much better in BOS. Hope we don't get screwed by the officials even more so than before.

Tay just needs one breakout game. He's doing a very good job on Pierce but if he can give us seom offense that would be great. I won't fault him though since he plays the whole damn game.

Not much else to say right now. Just happy about the win :)

2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

flip needs to make sure that the players listen to the national feed of the game.... if they were ticked off by the calls during the game wait till they see the way the announcers were all over the boston bandwagon. They agreed with every call against detroit to the point its pretty dang sickening anymore....

The players need to get that chip on there shoulder that there against the celtics, the refs, the announcers, the league.... heck i expect peta and green peace to start protesting against them any day.....

good effort... stuckey and max were great, still would like to see more boards from max, but dyss was sucking everything in sight up.

great effort from start to finish, and hope to see this same team on wed night....

3. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Seems every time you heard a foul "called by Crawford" was followed. Blaha/Horn were just getting sick of it. Only way to win a game like this is this way. Defense and then hit shots like no tomorrow down the stretch.

4. round

Flip had a couple comments on the calls... one he praised the team for not letting it get to them and playing thru it, and two that it was called different then any game in the playoffs so far...

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:pound::pound: That's funny.

6. max

max All-Star

I don't know. It would be great getting game 5 but this thing is sure looking like a 7 gamer. Maybe the Pistons can win game 5.

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Series squared at 2-2. How did we win, luck. Sheed and Rip both got into foul trouble so Flip had to finally sit them. Otherwise we would have ended up too tired to finish in the 4th quarter.

More silliness from Flip, putting Hayes into the game. Brick. Foul. Foul. Exit Hayes. Anyone notice what happened to our momentum after Hayes entered the game. At least Saunders pulled him quickly. We did have a cameo appearance from Afflalo for the last minute of the 1st half.

The National announcers could not understand why we played Theo instead of JMAX when Sheed got into foul trouble way early in the 3rd quarter. But it was the right move. Adding a guy into the rotation is never a bad idea. JMAX still got his minutes, and still had time to rock. JMAX started his very impressive game with a spectacular block on Garnett. Garnett broke out ahead of everyone on a fast break. JMAX, trailing him, went up, blocked the shot from behind, and continues off to the side avoiding the foul. Kind of like a Tay block, but just triple the power.

Dyess had a fine game. He kept nailing those outside jumpers. He actually does not hurt the team as long as he hits those at a 75% clip, like he did tonight. Of course, not one of those shots ever draws a foul, but again, if he makes them like that, it works. Dyess also had one excellent rebounding game.

Sheed did ok, knocked down some shots in kind of close to the basket. Rip scored going inside, and making some outside shots too. Tay did little, but him and Pierce were both guarding each other very well, and neutralizing one of their stars will have to be called good enough.

Stuckey hit a jumper, got to the line a time or two. Made some nice passes for assists. Nothing spectacular.

Theo played credible D. Not very good, but good enough to make the fact he was adding some fouls to give in the rotation worth having him out there. Nothing on O, but he did draw a foul after getting an O board.
    Billups, well, I guess he had a good floor game. He finally hit about his 2nd made shot of the game, a triple, late, to help seal the deal. But overall, he was horrid shooting, and not too good on D. He is not healed.
    Hunter does pressure the ball. And that is the sum total of what he gives us. Afflalo can play some pretty good D himself, and does not tend to stall out our offense. Hunter did have that knock away.

Amir and Afflalo got into a bit of garbage time at the end of the game. Hayes hit a totally meaningless jumper there.

Well, here we are in a three game series. Struggling, but still in the series. But Boston has the next two out of three at home. Flip to this day, this late in the whole thing, does not have a rotation down, as his main goal is not to play Amir and Afflalo, rather than to try to put a decent rotation on the floor. Hunter is the guy spelling Tay now, with Rip moving up to small forward. Mind you, we only do this for a moment or two each half, but we could do better.

Ok. 2-2. We have at least two more games in this series for Flip to come to his senses and start actually playing a rotation with a decent backup shooting guard, and a decent backup small forward.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Fantastic post-game by Dice. If Roscoe puts it up, everybody should listen to it. Completely heartfelt and honest.

And Flip did talk about the refs sorta. Thank god.

Max is doing the next presser. I can't wait for this LOL

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If we win Wednesday and Friday all we need is one more on the road...or are you counting game 2 in the equation??:confused:

Good post game comments by Dyess ...says that he is battling for a ring and tired of the excuses as to why they have not gotten it done the past 3 years. Sounds like he respects Flip and gave him credit for the win as well as some of the things he preaches in practice.

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Van Gundy actually did point out the probable reason for it: Dice had 3 fouls, and he needed to stay in the game with how well he was playing. So putting him on KG seemed too risky, and JMax on KG for that long a stretch might have been too much of a mismatch, so in came Theo. I thought it worked OK for about 5 minutes or so--Theo was mostly playing good D and not letting KG get too many open looks, and the lead was still in the low double digits. But it caught up with them a bit right at the end of the 3rd, when another mini-meltdown at the end of a quarter allowed Boston to cut it to 7 going into the 4th, thanks partly to some bad plays by Theo.

11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Lee i admire your persistence and semi-hope. I gave up a long time ago on Amir/AA getting any real minutes.

12. round

I liked the move also for another reason.... It really seems if max play much more the 20 mins his next game he lacks energy... it was early in the quarter, so i was good with it....

However.... did you catch the comment from them in the 4th where they said that max was playing hard because he was upset that he got skipped in the pecking order? did i miss something? are they going to the huddles and doing interviews mid game? The announcers are even trying to stir the pot.... i so wish that the local media could present the games, i can't pick up the game on radio.... hummm maybe i'll have to see if i can get an online feed of the pistons radio network.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I enjoyed watching the final Pistons victory of the season.
    Ok, MAYBE they stretch it to 7...before they lose.

Let's keep it in perspective.

Celtics have home court. They were the better regular season team. They can't even beat Atlanta or Cleveland on the road, but they beat the Pistons after the Pistons steal a huge game on the road. Boston could have stolen two on our court.

It's not like the league or the refs are going to help Detroit. Best you can hope for is reasonably fair.

Pistons played hard and deserved to win. Kudos. BUT...It was a HOME game. They rarely do this twice in a row. Boston gave up those last couple of minutes and that's why the score was lopsided.

Flip is the coach. Billups is hurt.

Maybe it goes 7 before Boston wins. I still think 6.

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm thinking that the number of games played is catching up with the Celtics....if this goes 7 we might be able to steal it, but only with a 95% healthy aggressive Billups and a re-energized Tay

15. max

max All-Star

They are at a disadvantage but you guys were the ones telling me all year that home court would not matter. Here we go.

Pistons are also the only team to have beaten the Celtics at home. Its a different series than any of the others. When the Pistons have won the ECF it was always 2-2 at some point.

Probably the biggest factor is going to be how Billups is comming along with the injury.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is a very good idea. I would have the Detroit staff edit a 20 minute tape of each BS foul and the announcers comments afterward.

As a Pistons fan, I've seen a lot of one-sided games from the refs, but this easily makes the top 3 in terms of phanton calls, off the ball calls, touch fouls, either way calls going to the opponent.

Think about this. Boston just had the LOWEST FG TOTAL in any game in this year's playoffs by any team with 21. Considering they made 1 3-pointer, they had 43 points + FT makes. The score tonight would have been 106 to 63 if you switch the FT's around... that is how well the Pistons played! Ignore the calls and this was one of the most dominating games our current squad has ever played. And I appreciate earned free throws, but Boston was getting gift after gift with a significant number of shots off of off-the-ball fouls while in the bonus because of previous off-the-ball fouls. I'm glad Flip mentioned it, cause it was a total travesty.

I hope it was rigged, cause if this is the way that the NBA really wants to call a game, winning it all is completely hopeless.

17. max

max All-Star

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What do you think he's gonna say?

How often have you seen the coach of the winning team get his first question in the press conference and have it be about how his team got shafted on the calls?

When you win, nobody cares. That was bad enough that the press was like, "whoa, how did you guys keep your composure?"

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I do think the refereeing was bad and that more bad calls went against the Pistons than against the Celtics, but if it had been called even, I think the Celtics still would have had a slight advantage at the line, or maybe it would have been closer to even on FT attempts. The Celtics shot 13 more FTs than the Pistons did, which was bad, but in no way did the Pistons earn more trips to the FT line than the Celtics did (that is, assuming a more competent whistle both ways).

20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tough series. You have to play 48 minutes against them. We finally started out like it meant something. The Celtic formula is to jump on the opposition early.

You have to manhandle Pierce and Garnett.

We need to play deep into the bench because every minute has to be playoff baskeball.

Dyss has been laying it all on the line.

We have to get Tay some room into the lane. Tay has to break loose to tilt the balance.

Billips need to take a jumper now and then to keep the defense honest.