1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

ECF Game 4 May 29th At Cleveland 8:00 PM

Discussion in '2007 Playoffs' started by Dlev59, May 27, 2007.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Oh yeah, game 6 ..but only because we HAD to play a Game 6 vs a much weaker Cav team last year than this year. BTW, did u see my chat post tonite? I said:

Somewhere my Sith Lord is laffin his ass off at me!!!:pound:

2. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

I know a lot of us in here, well the vast majority are already shipping cb in the offseason, have given up hope during these playoffs, and are ready to break this team up. We in here have to man up and take this loss like true fans. Remember in 04 when we were down 3-2 to the Nets and came back to beat those guys in 7. Remember when we lost game 1 in Indiana and came back to win that series in 6 on our homefloor. Dismantling the team is not the answer, if that happens i guransheed that more than half of the bandwagon-ass cats in here will leave the forum and never come back, trust. Okay, Cleveland has held serve and we have a series, it is not the end of the world. Just because our series may extend to 7 games dose not automatically mean we will inevitalbly lose in the Finals. I want to see those in here who can endure hard times and stand by their team through hard times. It is easy to be on board when we win but WHO in here is gonna stand by this squad and be here to the end. I am very dissapointed in a lot of us in here and I expect us to be adults and not be so swayed by our recent lackluster performance.

I'm so sick of the chronic pissing, moaning, and %%%%%ing in here by the same members. So what we have a series, are we all going to become Cavs fans now or root for the Spurs. %%%%ing ridiculous, lets stand by our team afterall we do have championship pedigree and have come back to raise banners and win a title. Dont give up now I feel the best is yet to come. This may have been the best thing to happen to us this year. I really feel we are on our way to playing our best ball in these playoffs. I refuse to let go and give up on my PISTONS, trust that. I wanna see all the real fans in here. Will all my REAL DETROIT PISTONS fans please stand the %%%% up, sheesh.

3. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This is why when we played Sixers last year, THE LAST person I worried about was CHRIS "I CHOKE THEREFORE I AM" WEBBER!

4. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

It's just so irritating watching an inferior team beat the Pistons. I hate Cleveland so much because they play ugly basketball that's boring to watch. The Pistons are always their own worst enemy and Flip Saunders is just such an inflexible coach that can't make any creative substitutions. He just keeps going back to what doesn't work hoping it does work. CWebb has become a liability on both the offensive and defensive end of the floor. Chauncey is just playing way too many minutes (as well as Prince) so TOs and bad decisions result. Why aren't DD and Nazr given a chance to play in the game to see if they can swing momentum and change things up. If I was Delfino I would be on the phone with my agent at the end of the season and ask to be moved to a team that will appreciate my talents. It's pretty sad that a rookie can come in for Cleveland and basically take the Pistons to school. It is not a fluke that Daniel Gibson is playing so well, he's had lots of starts and he has a coach that's not afraid to play him in crucial situations during the regular season, it now pays off. Gibson is not Ben Gordon but he's a darn good little point guard.

Lindsey was playing great tonight and what does Flip do -- take him out of course when we had the lead. Delfino only playing 2 minutes is criminal, so I'm going to bed to pout tonight.

5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Allowing a rookie and a bench player who average 4.6 ppg in the regular season to score a career high 21 tonight really hurt the Pistons in this game. Where is the focus, and why no defensive adjustments after the first half?

We were outplayed down the stretch, which was a real disappointment.

Chauncey once again had more turnovers than assists for the game.

Barkley wondered after the game why on earth Maxiel was not getting more playing time.

I don't think Flip brought much to this game in the way of coaching savvy. A great coach might have found a way to push the Pistons over the top in this game.

All of this said, I am still confident that will exploit our home court advantage for a series victory.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think the fouls were even in this one. There may have been one or two bad calls, but I wouldn't say if affected the full outcome of the game. This game was lost because we allowed Gibson to pentrate at will and put up 7-7 FT shooting in the second, our inability to ever extend a lead because of bone head shot selections thoughout the game>> especially in crunch time and of course the two late TO's.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Explosivity....solid post and valid points. I'm upset with Billups, but no way have I given up on the guy. Heck I'm not even upset with Webber, but I realize that we clearly don't have our best team on the floor when he's on the floor. I believe that this team CAN win this series, I'm not sure if they WILL. I hope our team ralizes that we are not a better basketball team than the Cavs, we're evenly matched. The winner of this series will be the team that,
    wins the hustle points and executes down the stretch.

8. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We got beat. They have outplayed us for most of the series.

We do not play solid defense long enough. I have given up on the offense. We will not outscore them. We will have to beat them on defense.

The Pistons team lacks a penetrator and youth. We are struggling because the game now is for youth.

Ok. The Pistons are a better team but that is not worth much if we don't win.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is all about a coach who refuses to change. I call on the media, and all fans, to call him out on it. If my posts irritate you, forget that for a moment. Everyone has to ask Flip Saunders why he did not go to Maxiell late in the 4th quarter. Everyone must ask why he stayed with our extended starting group (starters plus Dyess). Everyone must ask him why he feels he needs to prove he can win without a bench. Everyone must ask him why he thinks his players can go the whole game with so little rest. And don't take anything he says without a challenge. Try your best to get the message across. Flip Saunders must change. He must learn. He must use his bench.

I doubt anyone could possibly fail to notice how effective Maxiell was on defense tonight. Constantly in the face of the Cleveland players, and yet always able to get back to his own guy easily. Wow, what a game from Maxiell. Remember, he made his free throws this time. Still no time down the stretch. No excuse.

Dyess did well for a stretch, going inside like we know he can from earlier in the season. Then he killed us. Started bricking jumpers. And worse, he is in there instead of Maxiell. The moment Dyess starts losing energy, not going inside, take him out of the game. For sure, Dyess had one monster of a game on offense and defense up until about 8 minutes to go in the game. But then it was JMAX time. If only Flip Saunders would decide to change, we can still win this series.

CB scored well for the game, then stunk in the 4th. He still scored plenty of points for the game. I will take the points in any quarter. Will I fault himm too much for bad decisions after playing just about the whole game-nope.

Murray had a bad one. No points that I recall anyway, and lots of missed defensive rotations. Worse, he was in along side Maxiell, which always means Maxiell is not going to get a chance to score in the post for us. Hunter did way better in this game. He hit that 3, and took no shots otherwise as I recall. (Note, I don't check the boxscore as I am trying to do this from memory to keep things fresh.) Hunter played solid D on his own guy, and nailed his defensive rotations. So far for the series, Murray had that one good scoring quarter, where he also gave up quite a few points, and thats it. Again, Cleveland hit 50 points in the first half, as Murray was way overplayed in th e 2nd quarter.

Delfino barely got to play. He missed a shot, made a stupid foul, in very short minutes. Remember, if Delfino succeeds, it will go to help prove we need a bench, something Flip does not believe in.

Rip got some layups early, went cold for a spell, and then heated up a bit. Kind of a mixed bag for him. Those shots off curls were not there much as Billups is being kept off his favorite haunches where he likes to operate to feed Rip for those jumpers off those curls. We are doing things like having other people such as Rip or Tay bring the ball up some, whatever to avoid Cleveland being able to trap CB much.

Sheed had his moments. He also refrained from taking many threes. Too bad others did not refrain as much.

The tech on Sheed was bogus at first glance, and yet Sheed screamed all nite at those refs, so he had it coming, sorry fans. Sheed certainly ran his mouth in this game enough to deserve a tech.

Bron should have been called for a couple of fouls. A drive where he stuck his elbow out to create contact. The shove of Billups. The first non-call was pretty blatant, and for sure makes the refs look like rank amateurs. This does not help the NBA's image at all. It has to be cleaned up. Otherwise, the comparisons to the WWF wil continue, and many, many fans will continue to not even watch.

The announcers are flat out annoying at how loud they get when Cleveland does anything. Especially Albert. I had a chance to get my picture taken with this guy the other day, and I turned it down. Just don't like the guy.

I will not be going to the next game, as my daughter had the audacity to choose this nite to graduate. Well, I guess the school chose the date. Darn, I really wanted to go to that game. (Of course, I would rather have had this series end in 4 already.)

Tay did some good things in the first half, and then nothing in the 2nd. Oh well, he still had an ok game. Not like those first couple of games in this series. And if I recall, Tay held Bron to zero in the 3rd quarter. Since he had no rest, no, I will not get too negative about his 4th quarter play. It was actually good enough, if only a very tired, used up, Dyess was taken out for Maxiell.

Webber should not be starting. Give me Dale Davis in the rotation instead. Could Webber come in here and there to run some plays, absolutely. But to play him so much with Cleveland having a big bold X written on his back ain't going to work. Webber is exactly where Cleveland looks for their scoring. A simple pick and roll, remove Webber from the scene, and voila, an easy open shot for someone.

In sum, its about the coach. Sure, the players made mistakes. Sure, the refs sure did not make it easy for us. But that did not lose this one. Its who Flip Saunders is choosing to play, and why he is doing so. His stubborness will do us in. He must change or we will have a long sad summer talking about what could have been. GO PISTONS!!!!!

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Remember this brother:
    - some of yall have no idea who Dave Bing, Bob lanier, Curtis Rowe or Howard porter is.
    _ some dont know that eric Money scored 43 pts in a playoff game vs Rick Barry's Warriors once
    - some dont know that Kevin porter set the record for most assist in a season HERE in Detroit, but was villified as a 'ballhog'!
    - some dont know that MLCarr made the allstar team as a Piston but was more famous waving a towel on the Celtic bench
    - some dont know WHAT the Piston record was the year before Isiah got here, where Isiah went to college, how the friendship between he and Magic came to be or why they call him Zeke
    - some dont know how long George Blaha has broadcasted Piston games
    - some dont know who was drafted first: rodman or salley?
    - some dont know where Grant long played in college and who was the last starting 5 Joe Dumars played with?
    _Some dont know who hit the game winning shot vs Portland?
    - scored 16 pts in 4th qtr at the JLA?
    - The pistons leading scorer the year we acquired Ben wallace/

Brother, I could go ON and On and On. Ive forgotten more Piston games than some will ever know. But win or lose..I HAVE no doubt IN MY MIND that this is a PISTONS FAN FORUM. Me and roscoe disagree, but I love him. The Low and lee356 disagree and they have a beautiful marraige. Gazoo and PCF have pretty green babies. We may not all agree...but we will always be fans...

Where were you on the night of this game..

DETROIT 186, DENVR 184 ??????:sssh:

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Great posts guys.

12. Play On Players

Play On Players First Round Draft Pick

I don't know much about the majority of the things you listed HQ, but I do know that that doesn't make me any less of a fan. I don't want to start a fight or anything but I fail to see how any of the things you listed have relevance to being a fan now. No, I don't know where I was when Detroit defeated Denver, 186-184 (but from that score, I'd say I don't think there was much defense going on!) but I do know where I was the night Detroit fell to Cleveland, 87-91. I was in my room, sitting in a chair about 4 inches from the TV, clapping, wincing, gasping, and cussing. Being a fan means different things to different people. To some of us, it means remembering plays, scores, draft picks and various other bits of information from yesteryears. To others, being a fan is about having confidence in your team even when others point out it's faults. It's about encouraging others to keep the faith when things look bad. It's about sticking up for players you've never even met because you don't like to hear negative comments after a disappointing loss.

On a different note, does anybody know what Detroit's record is in games following losses in which Rasheed Wallace is thoroughly pissed? I hope it's a winning one!

13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

wow this game really annoyed me to no end. first of all, lebron got away with a few more travels and a couple offensive fouls, and if the gooden/sheed foul was reversed gooden would've been shooting 2, but we handed this game to the cavs on a silver platter.

chauncey - wtf kind of shots are you taking!?!? the timing?? and leaving your feet on passes? seriously what's wrong with you this series?

dyess - good energy, but geezus, DEFEND GOODEN. i know he was trying to help on lebron, but he left gooden too open

dale davis - bring him in to regulate, we need his rebounding, toughness, and defensive respect the refs give him.

webber - please sit on the bench the rest of the series.

tay - STOP posting up, it's not working.

sheed - nice terrible 3-point attempt that you jacked up because we wasted 24 seconds of a possession from you being so adamant about getting the ball.

flip saunders - not your best coaching game. difficult to find a specific instance i was annoyed with (like game 3, subbing the starters back in with 90 seconds left in the 1st half when our bench was playing fine). oh wait nevermind. you should've called timeout and immediately pulled rasheed outta the game after his ill-advised 3-pointer after the technical.

daniel gibson - how the f' does a rookie get so much respect as to get to the line TWELVE times in one game?

varejao - glad the refs are making you play regular basketball and exposing how much you suck. although the refs still don't call moving screens.

i've stated all year we need losses to knock us off our high horse and make us realize if we want a championship, we're going to have to work as hard as we did in '04, night in and night out. we were less experienced back then but won on heart and hustle. so far i'm seeing neither. in my opinion, this should be the absolute last wake-up call and loss that needed to happen (not saying i'm happy with it). from this point on, no more excuses, no more lazy play, no more losing games you should win. time to answer that one call for us all.

last sidenote - wtf was that sprite advertisement showing lebron vs. the spurs in the finals? lame.

14. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

after dice blocked the shot CB was fouled and hit to the ground.. no foul call.

15. 4cwebb

4cwebb First Round Draft Pick

This is killing me --- I want the Pistons and CWebb to do well in these playoffs, and to this point in the ECF, neither are really playing to their full potential. To add insult to injury, CWebb is apparently the #1 reason why the Pistons lost Game 4, at least if the posts in this thread are to be believed. I wasn't able to watch or listen to the game, unfortunately.

Either way, I think CWebb's defensive effort on the P&Rs needs to get kicked up a couple/five notches, as well as his willingness to give up a hard foul or three on Lebron's drives --- I don't care if he wraps Lebron up with a bear hug, it's better to take chances with King James at the line. And, since the Pistons have at least 4 reliable bigs, and CWebb isn't going to play much more than 24 minutes regardless of his foul trouble, he shouldn't be so stingy with those fouls.

But the Pistons offense as a whole needs to get in gear, and it starts with strategy. The team is used to Billups getting everything going, and the Cavs are doing a good job of taking that away. Through 4 games, the Pistons have yet to really try anything drastically different to combat this, and it's showing in the final scores. Since I'm not a NBA coach, I don't really have any concrete suggestions, but I'm hoping some type of game plan for Game 5 is in the works to put the Pistons offense in gear.

Detroit still has homecourt advantage. Protect homecourt in Game 5, and the series is right there for the taking in Game 6.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

This especially made me sick.

I can't shake a certain feeling of dread thinking about the next round...IF the Pistons make it there. Even with the ridiculous calls we still had a chance if Chauncey doesn't play basketball like circus music is playing in his head.

17. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

how about fouling gooden right after he passed the ball to him? we'd been getting stops on them (i think there was 1:15 left and we were down 4), so why foul one of their hot hands? I know he only made 1, but still, no need for that foul. chauncey ran over there and collared him like there was 2 seconds left in the game.

18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Great post HQ. The whole post. I give ther Cavs credit. This is a dogfight. It was painful to watch but the Cavs earned it.Webber has never been the same since Chauncey made those comments about how he was uncomfortable with the ball in Webber's hands so much...it was like turning off a light switch.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A little more sober today about our performance last night.

There really was no one Piston who stood out last night.

I am frustrated with Flip Saunders (but not for obvious reasons) and I am incredibly frustrated with Chauncey Billups which has been ongoing for the last 2 years.

I really felt that we should have kept going to Rip down the stretch.

We're doing too much "playing not to lose" and the team looks totally out of our winning character. We're not creating turnovers with the zone, we're not getting out and pushing, we're not running our pick and pops, we've posting up and playing ISO ball, and our decision making in the clutch is horrible. TERRIBLE!

But, we're home and we can beat these weiners. Then it's a 7 game series.

20. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

besides the annoying lebron / sprite / nba finals commercial (y'all saw that, right? or did the 'sublymonal' advertising get to you?), what really annoys me are the announcers...

like marv albert, any time a cavalier had a shot attempt he'd be like 'DANIEL GIBSON...OH WHAT A SHOT!!', but whenever we shot it he was completely silent, and if we made it he was even more silent. and when we made our run in the 4th, again silent.

or craig sager at the 3nd of game 3, asking lebron how it felt to hit the game-winning shot, even though that did not happen whatsoever.