ECF Practice Day Interviews May 22 2007

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 22, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

NBA EASTERN CONFERENCE FINALS: CAVALIERS v PISTONS

DETROIT, MICHIGAN: Practice Day
    May 22, 2007

Flip Saunders

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, I think that one, all the guys have to make plays. We'll just try and make quicker decisions. I think we held onto the ball a little bit too much, didn't make quick decisions. When we did make quick decisions at the beginning of the third quarter, we were able to get some easy buckets. But we need to do that from the beginning, just set the tone a little bit more and try to be aggressive against their aggressive -- take their aggressiveness and try and make it a weakness.

Q. The last few minutes, just talk about the strategy there. You got a big rebound.

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, big rebound. He had a big block on LeBron, he had a goal tend, but he still went after it. Jason is our best defender in pick-and-rolls, and they were running some pick-and-rolls and we just thought we needed his aggressiveness. McDyess had the flu yesterday, so he was sick and under the weather. Jason has played well against Cleveland in our regular season games. We went in just thinking that we needed more defense at that time than offense because offensively we were out of sync and the only way we were going to win was going to be through our defense, which ended up turning up in the second half, rebounding better and doing some more positive things and at least finding a way to win down the stretch.

Q. That's a big step for a young guy in that spot, do you really feel good about him?

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, yeah. As we said, a lot of times, every time we've asked him to produce, he's done that. He's very direction oriented, he's always going to listen to instructions and follow through with game plans like you want.

Like I said, he's got very good aggressiveness and takes charge and does a lot of the little things. Sometimes when you get in the playoffs and you're playing against a great individual player like LeBron, you need to have somebody in there who will get you extra possessions, and that's what he can do.

Q. When you looked at the tape, was there a different breakdown --

Coach Flip Saunders: No, when you're guarding LeBron and their team, you're going to have to give something up sometimes, and unfortunately for us, Z made some -- he was shooting the ball. About three of his shots were contested shots, late contests, but we gave a lot more coverage to LeBron and tried to shade to him to try to take away him getting into a rhythm, and that's one of the things we gave up a little bit.

You always look every game to adjust a little bit and see if you can have the best of both worlds, try to take away LeBron's aggressiveness but still be in a position to be able to contest Z if you can.

Q. When you looked at the shot that LeBron had or at least the path, when you took a look at it on the tape, it looked like he had a good look at a dunk or a layup.

Coach Flip Saunders: I don't think he had a dunk. I think he could have shot the ball and had some type of a layup, but he made a basketball play. It's very difficult -- I hear a lot of the criticism they throw at him, and it reminds me of Minnesota because KG is the same way. KG would always make the right basketball play. If you're a basketball purist, he makes the right play. I always wanted him to be more aggressive and try to make the play for himself all the time, but as a coach, I don't think you can fault the play that he made because Donyell -- we had a breakdown in our -- we had a defensive breakdown, and we left Donyell, who we thought they were going to go to at that point, but if Donyell makes that shot, then everyone is saying today that LeBron made the right basketball play.

I don't think you can judge the play that a guy makes by whether the shot goes in or out. You've got to judge by whether you got the right shot, and they got the right shot, it just didn't go in.

Q. That's a better shot than an open path to the basket?

Coach Flip Saunders: He didn't have an open path.

Q. He had to step on Tayshaun.

Coach Flip Saunders: But Sheed was coming, too, and Sheed did have seven blocks, so I don't think that -- it wasn't where there was a whole lane to the basket. He had to step on Tay, but it wasn't where he had a dead layup for the score.

Q. From where you sit, what's going on with Chris right now?

Coach Flip Saunders: I'm not sitting.

Q. From where you stand. Is he pressing?

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, I mean, I think at times our whole team pressed a little bit last night. I think at times they pressed last night. That's part of playoff-type basketball. He played better as far as the third quarter. Last night he got taken out in foul trouble. He got two fouls early, got his third foul in the second half early, and when you're in foul trouble, it takes away a little bit of your aggression. So I think last night just had something to do with his getting in foul trouble because when we put him back in the third quarter he was pretty efficient for us in the beginning of the third.

Q. With everything that happened last night, did it seem like a strange game to you when you have Chauncey kind of quiet for most of the game and LeBron, and then of course the finish?

Coach Flip Saunders: Yeah, a little bit. But the first game in the playoffs are a lot like that. It's almost like a heavyweight title fight in boxing where you're just kind of feeling each other out, just see what everybody is going to do. As you progress into the game everyone settles down, even more so when you progress as far as into each series, longer into the series.

Chauncey has done that many times. I've seen that where he's kind of been a little bit passive, waiting to see what's going to happen and then looks to take advantage of things and adjusts in the fourth quarter. That's always kind of been his forte.

Q. The struggle with the trapping --

Coach Flip Saunders: Yeah, I was a little bit surprised. I think it was one of those things where he wanted to be aggressive to start the game, so he didn't make the quick decisions. He held onto the ball maybe one dribble too long. What happened at the beginning of the third quarter, he started making quick decisions and letting other people make plays. The best way to negate a trap is for your other players to make plays. Then all of a sudden we can't trap because they're worried about everybody else doing something. For us that's always our strength is that we have four other guys on the floor that can make plays.

I just think that Chauncey just needs to make quicker decisions, which he did in the third quarter, and then when other guys started making plays, Chris got some things to the basket, Sheed hit a couple jumpers off the pick-and-roll, so things started to open up a little bit more Chauncey later.

Q. So it's not something you're worried about going forward?

Coach Flip Saunders: No. He's seen a lot of those. You know, they did a good job. I think you've got to give them credit for taking away as far as his option. But like I said, the main thing, we're set for not one guy to dominate how we play, we're set for five guys to dictate how you're going to play.

Q. Are you going to be making some adjustments on defending Rip because it seemed like he was able to get pretty much what he wanted shot-wise?

Coach Flip Saunders: Well, sometimes, as I said, with LeBron and Z getting shots, when you take away one thing from the team, something else is open. So you have to decide what you want to take away and what you're going to give up, and if you're going to try to take away Chauncey and some of his areas, you're going to extend a lot of pressure on him, you might open up some things as far as for Rip.

So I guess if they defend things on Rip, then it might open up things for Chauncey or somebody else.

2. roscoe36

May 22, 2007

Mr. Big Shot

Q. Now that you've had a chance to think about that game last night, thoughts today? Kind of a strange game but in the end you guys did what you had to do.

Mr. Big Shot: It was. You play the game and you haven't seen it, and you're like, man, that was an ugly game. Then you look at the tape and you're like, maybe it wasn't that bad. But that game, it really was that bad, you know what I'm saying, for us. We executed, and my performance taking care of the ball and trying to set the table, it was pretty bad. But we came out with the win, and that's all really that matters.

Q. What was it about those traps they were throwing at you that gave you some problems?

Mr. Big Shot: Well, I think my angles was just bad on it, my decisions wasn't fast enough on it. They were long. They've got a lot of long guys, and it was good. It worked; it was effective.

Q. How likely is it that there will be another game where you don't take many shots?

Mr. Big Shot: Well, that's really not me. I've had a lot of games where I've taken less than ten shots, you know what I'm saying, but when I do do that, we've got at least three guys rolling. Last night we only had one guy, Rip, who pretty much carried us. You probably won't see that too often.

Q. Rip said that you guys do a great job of calming each other down, that kind of thing. He said that you're normally the one calming him down. What was he doing for you last night?

Mr. Big Shot: He told me, settle down, relax, make the play, don't worry about it. We're there for one another like that, especially when one of us is struggling, the other one is always there to have his back. That's why we're such a great tandem.

Q. Is that something that (Inaudible).

Mr. Big Shot: No, they usually showed real hard, but they never really trapped it hard. No matter what pick-and-roll we was running, it was high side, low, it didn't matter, they were just trying to take me away. I really don't blame them. But it won't be that effective anymore, I know that.

Q. What does it say about you guys to not play the prettiest game in the world but to still come out and get a win in Game 1?

Mr. Big Shot: Good teams win ugly games, man. Just find a way. You've just got to find a way sometimes, and that's exactly what we did yesterday. I thought our second half was pretty good, considering how bad the first half was. It was pretty good. We came out, turned the tide once again in the second half.
    Once we finally took the lead, we never looked back.

Q. Flip said that you guys were a little surprised by LeBron's lack of aggressiveness and then that threw off some things that you guys had planned on him being more aggressive.

Mr. Big Shot: Yeah, we planned on him being a lot more aggressive, and because he wasn't, a lot of the things that we planned on doing or talked about, we didn't even have to go to them as far as defending him. So I'm sure we'll have the opportunity the next game. He's going to be very aggressive, they're talking about having him shoot free throws and all of that. I'm sure he'll find a way to get on that free-throw line the next game. It doesn't really matter, we've just got to play.

Q. As players, LeBron passing off that last shot to Donyell, did that surprise you?

Mr. Big Shot: I thought it was a great play. I thought it was a great play. It was horrible defense by us, but it was a great play. It's been an ugly game, and you've got one of your best three-point shooters wide open. He just had six or seven in the last game. So I thought it was an excellent play. I think everybody just -- they want him to be the man so bad and want him to shoot every single time, and that's just unfair. The kid made a great, great play. If they would have made that shot, then they would have been talking about how wonderful the play was.
    I'm just glad they missed it.

Q. How can you help get McDyess and Chris going?

Mr. Big Shot: I think a lot of that is going to be on me, like the pick-and-rolls and the trap, you know what I'm saying, getting some early throw-backs, trying to get them going, just on pick-and-rolls and stuff like that. They played behind in the post, throw it in, let them go a little bit. We'll find out. They'll be fine.

Q. Did you enjoy the back and forth battle in the fourth quarter more than these blow-out games that you had over this playoff series?

Mr. Big Shot: Yeah, that was. That was exciting. We scored, they scored, one big play after another. Both teams, really. That was a lot of fun. I'm just glad we came out on top.

Q. Did last night feel more like playoff game from (Inaudible)?

Mr. Big Shot: It did, it did. Obviously we don't shoot for games in the 70s, but it's like that sometimes, you know what I'm saying? That's the one thing I love about our team is we can love the games in the 70s and 80s and we can win in the 100s. We're versatile that way. You've just got to stay aggressive.

Q. Think there will be any more surprises in Game 2 because it seemed like each team surprised each other last night?

Mr. Big Shot: I don't think so. I don't think so. I think we'll see a better effort probably on both sides, both teams. I think it's going to be a battle.

3. roscoe36

May 22, 2007

Richard Hamilton

Q. What's your take on how last night's game went? Flip said it was kind of like just feeling each other out.

Rip Hamilton: Oh, yeah, definitely like a heavyweight fight. We had a lot of opportunities to make shots. We turned the ball over too many times. You know, we didn't play our best. We played uncharacteristic at times, but for the most part we defended, you know, and when you do that, good things will happen.

I'll take it as a gain that we won on defense. I'll take it.

Q. What's your take on LeBron there, the last shot that he passed off to Donyell? He's been getting killed in the national media for it.

Rip Hamilton: Like I said, he made a great move to the basket. I think that was one of them plays that was drawn up. We knew going into time-out that they was going to come back with Donyell and to watch him for a three-point shot. We kind of almost let one get away because that's the last thing we wanted to do is give Donyell a wide-open shot, but he made the pass that he was supposed to make.

Q. They said in the locker room that they thought you were going to foul him, was that ever an option? You guys had one to give.

Rip Hamilton: No.

Q. When they're trapping Chauncey very aggressively on those pick-and-rolls, what can the other guys do to help neutralize what they're doing?

Rip Hamilton: Well, like I said, coming into the game, I don't believe that Chauncey knew that they was going to trap him the way that they did. He's got to be a lot more smarter in knowing that, okay, it's coming. They're going to trap him until he gets rid of the ball. So now we've just got to make quick decisions. We've just got to know that. That's something we didn't know come into the game, but now we do.

Q. With everything that happened, wasn't it kind of a strange game when you really break it down and think about everything that happened from start to finish?

Rip Hamilton: Well, like I said, we came out kind of slow, you know. I knew if the game was close, I liked our chances. So I think we never had a bigger lead than four or five points the whole game, but we just stayed with him.

You know, we defended, took our time down the stretch and got the win.

Q. What do you attribute those slow starts to because that's a couple games in a row now?

Rip Hamilton: I mean, we've just got to be a lot more in tune. We've got to be a lot more in tune. We've got to come out ready to get into the game. You've got to come out with a spark right from the beginning because they're not going to give us one. In order for us to get to where we want to get to, we've got to come out and play hard from the beginning.

Q. How frustrated do you think C-Webb is right now? The foul trouble last night, and he hasn't played well lately.

Rip Hamilton: I don't think he's frustrated at all. We won. We've got guys on this team, as long as we win, everything is all good. I think Webb played a great second half, came in, made plays at the basket, got a couple in, so I thought he played great.

Q. Did you see anything from them last night that surprised you, or was it about what you expected?

Rip Hamilton: Well, we've played them so many times. You know, it's going to be adjustments and things like that. When you've got LeBron, you know he's getting better by the day, so you've just got to expect the unexpected. We've just got to go out there and just worry about ourselves. We can continue to control the tempo and play the way we want to play, we should be okay.

Q. Were the offensive boards an issue last night?

Rip Hamilton: We knew that coming into the game, too. I think that we've got to help -- the guards have got to help the bigs rebound, try to take away their second and third offensive possessions and things like that.

Q. Flip was just saying that one of the things that threw you guys off a little was that LeBron wasn't as aggressive as you had game planned for.

Rip Hamilton: Well, I thought he was aggressive. You know, I mean, like I said, he made plays, drove to the basket, you know, tried to find his teammates and things like that, the way that he plays. So I thought he was aggressive.

Q. The game was close going into the fourth quarter. What's the attitude on your team about not being able to kick it in?

Rip Hamilton: Well, we just know if we don't have a big lead, as long as the game is close, we feel good, we feel comfortable. As long as you come down to the fourth quarter, you've got to defend, we've got to execute our offense, we've all got to be on the same page. We're always in tune, so that's a good thing.

Q. After what you were able to do offensively last night, what are you expecting for Game 2?

Rip Hamilton: I mean, like I said, it's hard to go out and move without the ball, any time, regardless of what you do or what type of containment and stuff like that, and I knew that coming into the second half. What I tried to do was try to make plays for Chauncey, try to make plays for C-Webb, give them dumb-downs and things like that, try to get the guys going.

Q. Chauncey is usually pretty good if he gets trapped, last night just seemed to strange to see the way he handled that. What was it about their traps that seemed tough?

Rip Hamilton: I think him being a little too anxious. You want to win so much, and Flip always tells us that that over-aggressive energy, we've got to slow down a little bit. I think when we played Chicago, we blocked it, they didn't really trap. So this is the first time -- in the playoffs they started trapping pick-and-roll, so now we've just got to do a better job of peppering the ball.

Q. So you're saying Chauncey Billups was anxious?

Rip Hamilton: I'm like -- I'll go out there, "I'm anxious, too anxious," he's yelling and screaming at me, and last night I was doing the same thing to him.

Q. What kinds of things did you have to say to him to get him to calm down?

Rip Hamilton: Just slow down. I think that's our biggest thing with me and him. You know, when I come out there and I'm running around like crazy, "Slow down, Rip. Slow down, Rip," and vice versa. I think that's the great relationship we have. We can see things out there that if one of us don't see it.

Like I said, this is the first time their team started trapping pick-and-rolls, so now we've just got to adjust.

4. roscoe36

May 22, 2007

Mike Brown

Q. I know you've played one game of the playoffs, but could you kind of talk about the organization taking the next step and getting to the Eastern Conference Finals?

Coach Mike Brown: You know, we truly believe we're obviously a playoff team, and that's something that we have no doubt in our minds where we should be at the end of the regular season. And our next goal once we get there, into the second season, is to go for that championship. You know, we're not satisfied with winning a first-round series, we're not satisfied with winning a second-round series. We truly believe that we're in the business to win it, and we're confident.

Making it to the Eastern Conference Finals is a nice accomplishment, but it's definitely not something that any of us are satisfied with doing.

Q. Could you kind of talk about some of the criticism that LeBron has gotten for oftentimes for deferring to his teammates? It just seems that that's kind of part of your game plan, just to kind of let him set the flow of the game initially and then see how things work out. Could you talk about that?

Coach Mike Brown: For LeBron, he's in a tough situation. He has the weight of the world on his shoulders because of all the publicity he's gotten ever since he was in high school, so everybody expects greatness from him all the time.

He's playing tremendous for us in the playoffs. He's in the top five, I think, in scoring in the playoffs, he's in the top five in assists, I think. He's up there in rebounding, he's up there in minutes, so his numbers are very good right now during this playoff run, just like they were in the regular season.

But people expect his numbers to be even higher than what they are, which is understandable.

I want LeBron to go out there and be himself, and if he feels like he can attack, go ahead and attack. If he draws a double- or triple-team, go ahead and make the pass because I know that he believes in his teammates and they believe in him, and that's how you form a team. You look at some of the other superstars out there, in my opinion, Tim Duncan is the same way. If Tim Duncan gets doubled or tripled, he's going to make the right pass. He's not going to force up any type of shot at all because he believes and he trusts in all his teammates from Tony Parker to Manu Ginobili to Brent Barry on down the line. It would be kind of funny because I think if there were times when LeBron was selfish and didn't make the pass, I think he'd get criticized the other way (laughing).

So he's just got to keep playing his game and keep believing in himself and his teammates, and we'll get good results from there.

Q. After watching the film, did he make the right play on that? Because it looked like he could have gone all the way to the rim.

Coach Mike Brown: You know what, Donyell, like I said before, Donyell -- and I thought this during the game, Donyell could have literally had a cup of coffee and a sandwich. That's how wide open he was. Anytime you have a shooter like that that's wide open, if you make that pass, I don't blame or fault anybody.

Could he have gone up and taken the shot? Yeah, he could have. He had Tayshaun on his hip, Rasheed had come up on the strong side and Rip Hamilton was coming over, so he had drawn three defenders, and with LeBron being LeBron, there is a chance that he could have made the shot because he's so talented, but he did give his teammate a clean, wide open look with plenty of time to set his feet and shoot the basketball.

Q. LeBron was pretty certain after the game about that shot, he was saying, "Hey, I'd do it again, you have an open teammate, I'll take it." What did you see from him specifically on the plain back or when you talked to him about him either being certain about that or maybe then taking another look and thinking about it more? Did he say anything about it? Can you give us some specifics about what happened after you guys left the arena?

Coach Mike Brown: Well, there was nothing. Usually we don't talk about the game right when we leave the arena because, A, I haven't really had a chance to watch the tape; and B, a lot of times guys, including myself, are still extremely emotional. A lot of times you can say or do the wrong thing if you do try to talk about certain things that quickly after a ballgame.

So there was nothing said. I have not said anything to him about the shot. I obviously have not showed him the shot nor the team the shot, so there was nothing done about it.

Q. Can you talk then about what you are going to say to him tomorrow? You mentioned a little bit in your news conference last night about telling him to be more aggressive. Are there more specifics you're going to tell him that way, to be more aggressive in the next game?

Coach Mike Brown: Well, I'm not talking about the next play, I'm just talking about just in general. He's LeBron James, and I don't mind him at all any time he wants to break off a play and attack the rim. Rasheed had a tremendous game. He had seven blocks, but on top of that, he changed a whole bunch of our shots. We drove the ball, not just LeBron but quite a few of our guys drove the ball moving or avoiding Rasheed's -- trying to avoid Rasheed's length, and we can't afford to do that, because all the shots that he altered and made us miss doesn't show up in the stat column on his behalf. We've got to make sure when we attack the rim, we attack the bigs that are jumping because they're leaving their feet and they're coming towards us, so we've got to attack their bodies and put the onus on the referees to make a charge or a block call. But we can't go from side to side or try to move the basketball and shoot a reverse layup off-balance because Rasheed Wallace is coming.

Again, I'm going to tell LeBron that plus everybody else on our team because we had a lot of guys doing it.

Q. Two questions: It looked like if he had shot, it looked like LeBron would have had to use the off hand, left hand.

Coach Mike Brown: Correct.

Q. Also, he would have had a triple-double if Donyell makes the shot. Is that not Donyell's favorite shooting position? And did he not have a great game last game? I just don't understand why that was a bad play to some people.

Coach Mike Brown: I don't, either. You know, like I said, LeBron, it's funny because he's one of those guys, again, that with all the publicity he's gotten, whenever he does something, it's in my opinion from -- around the media world out there and most places, everybody wants to be critical. Donyell had a tremendous game. That is Donyell's favorite spot to shoot the ball, that corner three, and I thought he made a heck of a pass. He made a heck of a play.

I'll live with Donyell shooting a wide-open three any day. That's won us a lot of games.

Q. One other consideration was that was going for the lead and not just to force overtime on the road. Was that part of the consideration at all do you think?

Coach Mike Brown: No, you know, maybe in his mind, but our guys understand that if we get a clean look from three like that, I don't care if we're down two, down one, step in and shoot that three. We don't necessarily have to go for the tie in that situation. If we get a clean look, I want whoever has that clean look to step in and knock the shot down because you don't get good shots like that in the NBA often, let alone against the Detroit Pistons.

Q. I think it's been five straight games you guys haven't scored 90 points. Two of those have been in the 70s. How concerned are you with your offense right now, and what can you do to get some more points on the board?

Coach Mike Brown: You know, we, again -- I thought throughout the course of the ballgame because of the attention that LeBron draws, we had some decent looks from the field, and we've got to step in and we've got to knock them down. We've got to be more aggressive at attacking the rim to see if we can get to the free-throw line against this team, and then as much as possible we've got to get out and try to run in transition or push the ball in transition to try and get some easy looks, which is tough against this team because this team does a great job of getting back and stopping the break.

You know, we knew coming into the series that it was going to be a tough go for us, let alone anybody, with the way that Detroit has been defending. You know, they held Chicago, who's a very good offensive team, to right around 88 points a game and 40 percent from the field. So we knew it was going to be tough, we just have to continue to try to execute and try to get stuff on the backside of our play sets and look to attack in the half court trying to get to the free-throw line and in transition.

Q. If you guys hold Detroit to 79 points and still lose a close one, how does that bode for the psyche of the team? I'm not sure how often you can hold them to 79 on their home floor.

Coach Mike Brown: Well, it's the same thing. Last year when we took them to seven games it was a low-scoring series. Offensively we didn't play well at all, but their defense had something to do with it. But the funny thing about it is we won three of those seven games, so offensively they couldn't have been playing well, neither, and our defense had to have been good. We understand it's going to be a defensive contest and we understand that it could be a low-scoring affair. We just have to know that we can't afford to make mistakes, especially down the stretch. We made a couple of defensive mistakes down the stretch and didn't cover for one another, where Chauncey was able to hit the two threes and they were able to get some decent looks because of it. So we've got to be almost perfect going down the stretch, especially on the road against this team. We understand that. It's not disheartening at all. It's a good team. We still believe that we can win, and we still have confidence that we can win. We just know that we've got to be even better than what we were last game. We've got to be better the next game out.

Q. I just want to ask you about Detroit and Cleveland being in such close proximity. Is that situation preferable to you, that you're able to go home and kind of regroup in your own environment? Do you prefer it this way?

Coach Mike Brown: Yes, I do. This is great. It's a short trip, and then if we need to between games, we can go home. I definitely prefer this than having to fly for two, three hours.

Q. So did you have practice today and how did that go?

Coach Mike Brown: We did not have practice today. Our guys have not had a day off in I don't know how long, so we needed to give them a break in order to rest their bodies and just regenerate their minds, and we'll get back together tomorrow.

Q. When you were in Indiana, San Antonio, where did you find LeBron more dangerous, as a passer or as a scorer?

Coach Mike Brown: As a scorer in transition. That was our biggest concern with him is when he got to rolling in transition and they got up and down the floor, he was hard to deal with then.

Q. How much credit do the Pistons get for yesterday's game and his 5-for-15 performance?

Coach Mike Brown: They get a lot of credit for it. They did a nice job defensively on him. Whenever he had the basketball, they made the paint look crowded, so you've got to give them credit for doing that job. But I do still feel like that he will be able to get loose a little bit more than what he did that game and have a more productive game for us when it comes to putting points on the board.

Q. Because he didn't shoot that well, do you think that worked into his decision to pass that off at the end?

Coach Mike Brown: You've got to ask him that. I'm not sure.

Q. I think at this point in time hammering about the woulda, shoulda, coulda about the Game 1 is pointless with Game 2 on the horizon. As Game 2 rolls around, what do you need the Cavs to do to stop Detroit?

Coach Mike Brown: We need to have the same defensive effort, same defensive intensity, especially as the game wears on. We can't afford any mental breakdowns, and we had a couple, like I said earlier, we had a couple down the stretch that cost us, especially on Chauncey's two big threes. So we've got to do a better job in that, in terms of closing the deal.

And then offensively, like I said before, we've got to attack the rim. We can't avoid or look to avoid Rasheed's ability to come over and help and block shots. He's going to get his blocks. We just have to try to go right through his chest and see if the referees call a block or call a charge on us because he's a talented individual that not only affected the game offensively late, but he affected the game defensively the entire time he was on the floor.

Q. Last night it seemed like you were a little frustrated that you guys weren't getting to the free-throw line? After watching the tape it sounds like maybe you think that your guys weren't properly attacking the basket. Did you feel that was more the issue?

Coach Mike Brown: That was part of the issue. I did see that there were times that we did attack the rim the right way, and they should have called a foul, but they didn't. That's how it goes. I'm sure Detroit felt that they probably attacked the rim a couple times and they should have got a foul called. But it still baffles me how LeBron can play 45 minutes and get zero free-throw attempts because he did at times attack the rim the correct way.

Having said all that, yes, I do know that our guys have to do a better job more consistently when attacking the rim, not to try to avoid Rasheed blocking the shot but to go right through his chest and put the onus on the referees to call charge or block.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Thanks Roscoe..........You're the hardest working man in Forumville.......

6. roscoe36

Thanks Nemo but this is the fun stuff.

7. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

Thanks Roscoe:winner_first_h4h:, dont know what we'd do without you...

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Excellent, thanks.

9. roscoe36

Mike Brown's interview was over the phone from Cleveland, by tele-conference. He gave the players the day off yesterday.

I'm expecting a proper practice session from the Cavs in Cleveland with the reporters hammering Lebron. Hopefully I can post that if it comes available today.