Ed Davis

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blackhawk, May 23, 2010.

1. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Ed Davis does extremely well when finishing around the basket because he is a lengthy player. Seems very athletic at times, probably because he hasn't figured out how to completely utilize his athleticism. He has a nice hook-shot and is pretty good at drawing fouls. For those who don't know he is the son of former player Terry Davis.

Defensively is where he shows most promise. He has an excellent frame, great length and timing. One of the best shot-blockers and rebounders coming out of college. With some added strength Davis can become a terrific big in the middle, especially on the defensive end.

Offensively he is on the raw side...lacks lower-body strength to establish deep post-position and defend physical players in the post. His footwork in the post is on an elementary level. Also struggles to create his own shot and needs to work on his mid-range jumper..

He's also extremely dependent on his left hand offensively. Very predictable because he goes left every time.. Face-up game and ball-handling are not there. Not someone who will ever become "the main guy" but more of a role-player on offense.

In sum, Davis will need to add weight and strength to his 200lb. narrow body in order to order to keep up with bigger players in the NBA. He will not be immediately ready to become a contributing big man in the NBA.

Twitter Followers;
    http://twitter.com/eddavis32

2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I really like what he can do on the floor, has clearly displayed that he can ball, but can he get strong enough to be a force in the paint on the boards and defensive end of the floor.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

HE LIVES!

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Well that settles it then.
    Joe absolutely WILL draft this kid. I can't recall too many instances where the Pistons passed over the opportunity to draft a player that needs to develop some strength.

With any luck, this kids' body will fill-out in four years so we can trade him for a 2nd rounder.

5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I read that he grow up calling Ben Wallace "Uncle" or soething like that.

apparently, his father and Big Ben were friends in College..

6. blackhawk

7. blackhawk

Three Words To Describe How Ed Davis Will Turn Out In The NBA:
    DUD, Bust, Lemon

Sorry Ben lol

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sorry dude, but Davis can ball. Watch him game after and game and then come talk to me. He's small because he's young, but much like Daye he has genuine hoop skills. He may be a sleeper in this draft, he's SHOWN a helluva lot more game than Derrick Favors has.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Darn right I live and I see I need clean up a few things 'round here!

10. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

He's also played with guards who were a helluvah lot better than GT's and had a significantly lesser offensive role.

11. blackhawk

Done more than watch him game after game..Be my guest if you want to go on record and say that Ed Davis is going to be a legit player next season.

If given the opportunity Derrick Favors is going to be a legit contributor or rotational player depending on where he ends up next season and the opportunity he will have.

Moreover, Austin Daye is going to make look Joe Dumars look very smart whether it is next season or the season after.

12. doublead

doublead First Round Draft Pick

ed davis will be one of the steals of the draft.

by the way hes 6-10/227 pounds not 200

13. nelson33

nelson33 Second Round Draft Pick

I really think that dumars should find a way to get cousins but retain the 7th pick and pair him up front with davis. Would definitely bring defensive intensity in the post over a long term and fill a gaping hole in the pistons' roster

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And get Lebron.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Ummm NO, the weak spot for UNC this year was their guards, and a healthy Ed Davis was the only thing making UNC competitive this year.

We agree to disagree. I like Davis, good basketball skills, you can tell he's the son of a player. What I don't like are all these run and jump ballers whose skills you have to develop, like Favors, they can do everything but actually play basketball. Will Favors pan out, yes, maybe, not likely, no....in other words I have no way of knowing, same with Davis. BUT, I've actually seen Davis do what they say he can do, Favors is a a huge ball of "Potential" based off "Athleticism"..........

16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Again, I was doing some things but this time with the Draft Measurements!

And I have some questions.. because I don't know where to find this answers.

According with Draft Express..

Height Without shoes // Weight // Body fat // :

Derrick Favors = 6' 8.75'' // 245 // 6.5

Ekpe Udoh = 6' 8.75'' // 237 // 8.0

Cole Aldrich = 6' 9'' // 236 // 8.5

Ed Davis = 6' 9'' // 227 // 10.0

DeMarcus Cousins = 6' 9.5'' // 292 // 16.4

Greg Monroe = 6' 9.75'' // 247 // 11.2

Hassan Whiteside = 6' 10.75'' // 227 // 5.5

Nothing interesting yet, just posting.

Wingspan // No step vert // No step vert reach:

Derrick Favors = 7' 4'' // 31.5 // 11' 9.5''

Ekpe Udoh = 7' 4.5'' // 31 // 11' 5.5''

Cole Aldrich = 7' 4.75'' // 23 // 11' 2.5''

Ed Davis = 7' 0'' // 31 // 11' 7'' //

DeMarcus Cousins = 7' 5.75'' // 23.5 // 11' 4.5''

Greg Monroe = 7' 2.25'' // 25 // 11' 1.5''

Hassan Whiteside = 7' 7'' // 27 // 11' 8''

Questions:

What is "No step vert" and "No step vert reach" ?

And What is the difference between them and between "Max Vert" and "Max Vert Reach"??

I found it in Google but I can't find an answer.

Based in this stats I really don't see an IMPORTANT difference (besides age) between Derrick Favors and Ed Davis. And also in other aspects (physicals) they look alike.

for expample:

Ed Davis:

Agility: 11.70
    Sprint: 3.21

Derrick Favors:

Agility: 11.74
    Sprint: 3.25

I can't stop hearing about how athlethic is Favors.. So, is Davis too??

Yes he is skinny, so what? Bosh was really skinny too when he was selected. (Yes, Bosh was younger than Davis and straight out of High School, but I have some kind of Faith in Davis.. call me crazy if you feel to :))

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No step vert is how high you can jump going straight up in the air from a stand still position, off of 2 feet. The other stuff I don't really know.

18. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Watch some GT games and look at how their guards struggled mightily to get Favors good looks. He played best when he just started doing things on his own towards the end of the season.

And we've seen Davis with great guards, last season. And even this season they had better ball movement that GT did.

I don't really have much of a preference to either. Davis should be the better rebounder, Favors the better defender. Davis' offense is going to come off positioning and athleticism because he'll never be bulky and isn't incredibly skilled around the rim. Favors is just as athletic and has the better body to finish strong. I think Favors will be more of a factor earlier, and Davis you will have to wait a bit on.

19. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

A couple of the more prominent mocks now have us taking Davis. I heard that Mark Stein moved Davis into our #7 and Draft Express changed us to Davis today as well.

He has kinda been off the radar with all of the trade up/Cousins falling talk. Anyway, here the comparisons given: Draft Express:
    Best Case: Al Horford Worst Case: More Physically Gifted Udonis Haslem, and NBAdraft.net: PJ Brown/Alan Henderson.

Essentially these guys are saying 12 points 10 rebounds a game with some nice defense.

The big questions in my mind with Davis is when could he contribute and are these expectations too low for a #7 pick?

20. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

A couple of the more prominent mocks now have us taking Davis. I heard that Mark Stein moved Davis into our #7 and Draft Express changed us to Davis today as well.

He has kinda been off the radar with all of the trade up/Cousins falling talk. Anyway, here the comparisons given: Draft Express:
    Best Case: Al Horford Worst Case: More Physically Gifted Udonis Haslem, and NBAdraft.net: PJ Brown/Alan Henderson.

Essentially these guys are saying 12 points 10 rebounds a game with some nice defense.

The big questions in my mind with Davis is when could he contribute and are these expectations too low for a #7 pick?