Ed Davis

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blackhawk, May 23, 2010.

1. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

I've seen more than a couple places say that we're getting Ed including Espn.com's. According to Chad Ford's Tiers system he has a higher ceiling than pretty much everybody not named Favors, Monroe, or Cousins. Still raises some questions.

He's built like a high schooler, and given where his body fat is compared to Udoh, he is not at all muscular. It is surprising that a guy whose dad is in the NBA wouldn't have been able to build an NBA body by now. I wonder how much change Ben Wallace can promote if being at one of the best NCAA programs and having an NBA pedigree couldn't have made it happen already?

It looks like if we get him, we are prepared for a waiting game, 1-2 years before we can expect gutty playoff performances. That means coming out of the draft our main Centers are either CV, Wilcox, or Wallace. What are our plans for a center? MLE? 2nd Round? Trade someone, and if so when?

Watching him play, it is obvious that he is neither scared of contact, nor scared of playing defense. It would be a shame if we wind up back in the lottery again because we couldn't get an NBA ready Center.

2. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

NBAdraft.net just moved Davis up to #7.

I noticed that body fat figure too. Maybe it was that time of the month or something at the combine...ya know, he looks more like a pear than an apple. That should help him hold his position on the block.

3. Brap

Brap Starter

Chad Ford and Thorpe picked Davis just now for us in their mock draft. According to them, the draft takes a big nose dive after the 5th pick. Thorpe is suggesting we trade the pick to Minnesota for Love. Ford says that might not fit the long athletic style Dumars seems to be trying to build.

I think we should hold our noses and swing for the fences with Davis - and trade up if we can, and trade the pick if we can.

This is really shaping up to be a p-u draft. I hope I'm wrong.

4. Brap

Brap Starter

Re: body fat. Don't judge that until he has been a pro for a couple of years. He'll likely respond to Kander and pro-regimines and proper nutrition.

And we WANT to finish in the lottery again. Even if we're healthy, a guy like Davis will likely provide nothing of note in yr 1, and we've got a horrid defensive team without any stoppers in the paint other than the aging Big Ben. Our young guys should improve a lot, and maybe Davis could provide some promising moments (like we saw from Daye this past season). But we've got a 2011 or 2012 strategy - not a 2010 strategy.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons=Davis=won't happen.

6. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Sadly, Joe D will get Udoh if Cousins or Monroe are not available.

7. Wiggles

Wiggles First Round Draft Pick

No way they take Udoh. Dude is 23 already. If we can't get a center, Davis seems the next best option. His dad was a pro, he went to a big school, he idolizes Big Ben, and all his interviews show he knows how to be a pro.

We are not going to get a super star at 7, so another good building block would be Davis.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion