Important ESPN 30-for-30 Presents: Bad Boys - April 17 at 8pm

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Back To Back

Back To Back Second Round Draft Pick

In re the Raiders thing, keep in mind that Daly and Al Davis were friends. When the Lakers wouldn't let Isiah use their medical equipment after he injured his ankle in the '88 Finals, Davis found out about it and called Zeke to offer him the use of the Raiders facilities.
  2. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

watching the BAD BOYS!...MY favorite Detroit Sports team of all time..

1. BAD BOY ERA
    2, STEVIE Y'S RED WINGS
    3. 84 TIGERS
    4. THE 2002-2010 PISTONS

MY COMMENTS AS I WATCH:

- Kid Rock narrating----totally awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    - Isiah "The film don't lie
    - the visions of crumbling East side Detroit is so surreal!
    - the shot of AD vs Terry Cummings was cool. Cummings was the ONE player (from Chicago) That I prayed would come to Detroit
    - the 67 riots...i watched Grand River burn as I sat on our front porch from Allendale St -the Jeffries Fwy is there now
    - I dont blame Abdenour's comment "There was No culture" on the players or management. It was the lack of providing by ownership The league at that time had no national presence outside of the major cities. But in the 70's we had Bob Lanier, Dave Bing and Curtis Rowe. We lost a hard fought series to Golden St because we couldn't stop Phil Smith. After that, the Pistons traded Bing for Kevin Porter and everything went down hill.
    - DYK??? Dallas chose Aquirre over Isiah because they had Brad Davis as their point guard
    - I remember the night we got Laimbeer. I thought the big deal was us getting Kenny Carr! 40 went out and got 20 rebounds!!!! On the Alltime NBA most underrated team.
    - Watch 'The Mary Thomas' story if you can find it.
    - you havent had fun until you've listen to a Piston game with the opponents announcers....hilarious how they hated losing to us
    - Isiah dribbled thru Fat lever and Darnell valentine and UNDER Drexler twice!!!! hahahahhaha
    - I dated a girl from Pontiac JUST so she could get me in Piston games FREE! (yes I sold my favors for the love of my team........)
    - I was at the Milwaukee game when one of the NBA's 10 alltime best Defensive Players, Sid Moncrief, got laid to rest by Zeke. If you watch under the hoop, Moncrief just hangs his head
    - Jack Maccullum of SI was the best NBA writer of all time
    - I will never forget my two favorite LIVE moments in sports: The Mark fidrych Monday night game vs the Yankees and watching Isiah score 16 pts in 94 seconds at the JLA with my Dad and Stepdad and me running up and down the stairs like a maniac!!! LOL High Fiving everybody!!
    -notice who was standing next to Zeke in the crowd?? Yep-Aquirre
    - 'SILENT DEATH'....lmao!!! The best player I ever saw- larry Joe Bird
    - YES- I was like 'JOE WHOOOOOO???"We had vinnie and need someone to stop Bird and we draft him???
    - I LOATHED RICK MAHORN MORE THAN JOHNNY MOST- i'll never forget when he laid out Zeke in a game ....my least favorite Bad Boy of them all...still.
    - They traded Tripucka for Dantley. That hurt a lot of folk but I had been a fan of Ad since watching him at NotreDame.
    - The shot and twirl dance by Isiah vs Atlanta----i copied that dance for years when I got happy feet...lol
    - Spider and The Worm.....oh my.......
    - Remember when John Salley bought a 20 room mansion in Central detroit
    - The most dynamic defensive player Ive ever seen-Dennis Rodman...I still choke up knowing he is in the HALL OF FAME! Jordan would have never won his last two rings without Rodman Worm once said if he was 7ft tall, he'd average 30 rebounds a game! i was once if Pippen had Worm's heart and motor,he'd be one of the three greatest players ever and the Bulls would have 10 CHAMPIONSHIPS!!
    - WHEN Daly left, Rodman's whole life changed.........sad...
    - i was in my barracks room, 1987, Ft Campbell.....game 5 when that 'thing' happened........................................................................................
    - the "If Bird was white" comment was the most overblown media hype in journalism history..Truth is RODMAN said it, Isiah just laughed about it. Journalists have to make money too. Bird was great no matter what color he was.
    - i'd love to have a all-Laimbeer video ...lol
    - it was so poetic that we won GAME 5 IN 1988 IN boston
    - NOW WHY WAS IT OK FOR THE CELTICS TO LEAVE THE COURT VS US, and everyone made a big deal when we did it vs the bulls??????
    - Dick Stockton was the worst announcer in sports history and its a shame he was the voice of the NBA for so long with that buffoon Hiensohn along side of him!!!(thank god for the year Billy Cunningham was there)
    - The greatest one quarter performance in NBA history and CBS just poo-pooed it
    - Watch the last 2 seconds of Game 7 when laimbeer inbounds the ball and the fans and camera men jump right in front of him..the lakers are literally ON the court!
    - 1989---what a strange year.....The daly vs Dantley war was wild to me cuz I was in Germany at the time. Had no clue what was going on
    - here comes Aquirre ....The Worm is born!!!
    - The Jordan rules ??/ never heard of it! mooohahahhahahahaaaa
    - they were the best team in basketball for 5 years.....
    - i hated the expansion draft being on the DAY we were celebrating and the NBA 'knew'that!!! Isiah gave a great speech for Mahorn.
    - The key to the 1990 team was a game I watched at Seattle when Detroit trailed by 25 points at teh half and just refused to lose-that was one win in a 25-1 stretch but they werent gonna be beat after that
    - The pistons put Pippen to SLEEP!! hahahahahhahahaha Migrane, my aunt Fanny!!!!!
    - I'll never forget the great Porter quote after Game 2 "we aint coming back to Detroit!!!!!!!" Guess what?? THEY didnt!!! hahahahahahhahahaha
    - Joe just did his thang- and his Dad was with him
    - for 5 straight years. the Pistons played 100 plus games a year...I thought it should have been Dumars time (maybe 25 points per game) and we needed another strong big man
    - yeah we walked out on you sorry butt Bulls....like the Celts did to us....difference was the Pistons never punked their rivals in the press like that sissy #23 did
    - thank u Bad Boys--you made my life....so much better
    Susie914 and BillLaimbeer like this.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Thanks for the memories...
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

its really all i have, ol friend :) as far as sports go=i am content with what I have:

-3 NBA CHAMPIONSHIPS, 9 CONFERENENCE TITLES
    -4 STANLEY CUPS, 8 CAMPBELL CUPS
    - 2 WORLD SERIES, 5 AL PENNANTS
    - 3 NCAA BBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS, 9 FINAL FOURS
    - 1 NCAA FBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
    - 1 USFL CHAMPIONSHIP
    and Barry Sanders, Chris Speilman, Herman Moore , and Megatron 81 from the Lions

also: The Bird, Ron LeFlore, Rusty Staub, Grant Hill, Andre St laurent, The Olympia, Cobo Hall, Tiger Stadiom, Ernie, Paul , George , Bruce, Sid and Blaha...oh yeah -and UFER!!!
    We have 'DEEEEtroit BASKetBALLL!!
    We have 'The Octopus'
    We have "The Corner at Michigan and Trumbull"

Detroit sports fans have been blessed. My family in Ohio (Cleveland area) have NO MAJOR sports championshps!! ZERO!!! Chicago had zero MINUS Micheal jordan, The BlackHawks of 2 years ago and the White Sox of 10 years ago.

I've had a good life
    The Panda and LA Dre like this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Time to write a book Old Skool...call it "The Love of Motown"............
    Susie914, OLD SKOOL HQ and LA Dre like this.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think he should call it "I've had a good life"
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  7. Nemo

Maybe...It's a Wonderful Life.
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

"It was a Wonderful Life"

He has been using past tense.
  9. Nemo

Maybe then...if he's using past tense...we should just call him OLD...instead of Old Skool.
    OLD SKOOL HQ likes this.
  10. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I saw the show a few days ago. So much stuff that I didn't know, for example, that Dantley issues. Aguirre being #1 pick over Isiah. Rodman comments about Bird. Etc...
    It's ok that I don't knew about those stuff, I was born on June 30th, 1989.

The only time I almost cry, for real, was when I saw the Isiah performance against the Lakers with the bad ankle. I mean, I've heard and read about it, but watching that ankle.. WOW!! And watching it after seeing how the Pistons battled hard for that championship, you get there, at the top, and even with an ankle like that, Isiah keep giving it all. My god! I'm writting about it and it gives my goosebumps!

I didn't knew that Boston have walked at the end like the Pistons did to the bulls, they should have show that in that documentary.
    I would love to see more from Microwave, he gave us the 2nd ring!! It would be great to heard more of him and from Buddha Edwards.
    It would be good too to see more of Dumars defense against Jordan. More focus on that other than the blows that Jordan got.

Anyway, it was great. It's impressive when you realize that in that NBA, the times of Magic, Larry and Jordan, this Pistons won 2 championhips. I mean. THAT'S REALLY BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you see the lineups from Lakers, Celtics, Chicago... and The Pistons being able to steal 2 championships (in a row also!! important fact) in that era, wow!! You have to look at the decade, at the moment.

That was a great team, pure heart. The hate that Laimbeer and Isiah had against losing it should inspire every athlete, every person.

I'm proud of being of this team, even when I have no right to be, I mean, like I always say, I'm not from Detroit, I've never being in the USA. I chose to be a Pistons fan, I chose when I was younger, and even though the past years have been dark, I've never regret my decision.

People have asked me many times, Why are you a Detroit Pistons fan? Don't you like San Antonio? (Because of the success that Ginobili had over there, suddenly, since 2005, a lot of Spurs fan appeared. But they are just bandwagoners, or "Manu fans" .. If Ginobili went to play to Minnesota, they would all be from the T'wolves)

And I always said that I was seduced from those Pistons in 2003-04, but after that, when I got Internet and was able to search from Pistons history, it was more the BAD BOYS identity that caught me, that reassures my love for the team, for the city, for the meaning behind all. The "Work Hard" thing.

It is the more pure decision-thing that I can think of.
    I'm not a Pistons fan because my father made me to be, because he was a fan too and I remember watching games with him. No, it's not like that. My father doesn't like sports.
    I'm not a Pistons fans because of a player who played there who was the greatest of his era (like so many Bulls fans). No.
    I'm not a Pistons fans because I was born in Detroit and "It had to be that way". No.

I'm a Pistons fan because I love the identity, the message they send, bad boys and the 2003-08 team. The "working hard", the "never give up", that good players together and well coached can beat the stars of the league. Good chemistry > Star playing. That sometimes the hustle outplayes the talent. That's what I love.

And this documentary help me understand it more.

I have a few questions that this show leaves me... I would ask this week in this thread, many of you may have an answer to my questions.
    Susie914, OLD SKOOL HQ, Nemo and 4 others like this.
  11. LA Dre

S.J good post... we have two things in common....you are a true Piston fan and my oldest son shares a birthday with you three years earlier.

He was born June 30th 1986 and being that he was only approaching his 3rd birthday, he could tell there was some animosity between his Laker mother and Piston father as the Pistons had just swept her team that month!!
    S.J. and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

What about the year before, when he was 2 years old? Did he realize that the Pistons got robbed in the '88 Finals?
  13. LA Dre

Yep...he was wondering why I was cursing his mom out when she came home from game 7 cheering.....
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

It's always been in my head , bro man...just praying for obedience... :)
    Nemo likes this.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

'was' is soooo right...LLoLL!! juskidn......my grandson is my fountain of youth!
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I'm so OLD my drivers license is in hieroglyphics!
    Nemo likes this.
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

SJ, go to Amazon and you can order DVd's on The Pistons from the Bad Boy era and the Go To Work-Big ben era. I have both copies and u will enjoy!
    Nemo and S.J. like this.
  18. Nemo

I'm so old...when I was young...The Dead Sea...was called The Dying Sea............
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

From Twitter, Pat Riley purportedly admitted that Laimbeer didn't foul Kareem. 3-peat?

@ZachLowe_NBA: Wow! Was a bogus call. MT @EthanJSkolnick: Remarkable Riley admission today: that...Detroit committed "phantom" foul on KAJ in '88.

Twitter / ZachLowe_NBA: Wow! Was a bogus call. MT ...
    Nemo likes this.
  20. Nemo

I like how he called out Lebron in a recent interview.