[ESPN] Ben to Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Trade? Remind me...what did we get again?:rolleyes:

It should be a fun season to be a Bulls fan. I can see you possibly getting as far as the EC finals next year.
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

None of the following comments are direct quotes from the ESPN article:

They talked about the reason Darko/Arroyo were traded was to make room for Ben…. That as long as the big three (Ben, Dice & Sheed) were here DMC would not play.
    That as few as five months ago the impression around the league was that this tight nit family could not be broken up.
    They discussed the sequences that led up to Ben leaving (which we all have heard).
    They quoted a GM stated that they knew the Pistons style would not last with the new changes.
    Without Ben they will have to change their style of play… with Ben they would still struggle to regain their dominance.
    Talked about how the new look Pistons will stretch defense and that the Pistons expect Delfino be have a much bigger role than before and Jmax should no get his shot.
    Dice will do a lot of the dirty work that Ben did.
    The Bulls will struggle to score (already a low scoring team)
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

What about the rumors about Big Ben buying a house in Chicago a couple of months ago? I thought that it was a silly rumor but now it looks like it might have had some bite to it.

Could Chicago be responsible for tampering?:mad: I hope that the Pistons have this investigated. If the Bulls put a bug in Big Ben's ear during the season via a little birdie it would explain alot.
  4. legend71

legend71 Second Round Draft Pick

5. max

max All-Star

New look Pistons? Good god man, thats exactly what we called outselfs in the teal years. That was the exact slogan - "The New Look Pistons"
  6. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

You know what will happen. Fate will line us up with the Bulls in the playoffs and we will promptly be outworked and eliminated.
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

This (I think) refers to the "new" all offense NBA. Teams that win championships like the Suns, Mavericks, and Wizards.

I just don't buy it. The Heat won this year in large part because Zo, Posey and Shaq played very tough D and effectively shut down the lane. They forced the Pistons back into the pre-Larry all jumpshot team, and forced them into uncomfortable spots to take those shots from. Defense won the championship... even with the new rules. (Oh, and they had Wade, who took 75 FT per game :ohwell:)

Losing Ben doesn't make the Pistons into a teal-era team talent wise, but it sets the Pistons way back, while making a division rival much better. I see first or second round exits for the Pistons unless Joe pulls off some sort of miracle.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks Merc.
  9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

This championship run is done. Let's face the writing on the wall. Billips tenure is close to an end too.

We need to act instead of react. I would trade for Chandler and have him, Rip and Tay as our new nucleus and work in the rookies.

The NBA and Stern won. This team would have been good to go for two to three more years. Don't underestimate the rule changes. I sounded the alarm for all during that Miami/Dallas series. This is the Le Bron and Wade era.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I don't see this happening.
  11. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Neither do I. Dice is another player whose play in the playoffs seemed to suffer this year as compared to last. He was intimidated by Zo under teh basket in the Miami series and he did not seem to making his jumpers with the same regularity (I haven't checked the stats; this is just an impression). I also wonder if age (and his battered knees) are catching up with him.
  12. roscoe36

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, thanks for the article!

I hope Ford is right. I hope the Bulls fall into the pits of hell and never come back!!!!!! :mad2:

I love(d) Ben Wallace. But I'm a Pistons fan before anything else.

Thanks for all the memories Ben. You were my favourite Piston. You helped turn this franchise around. Now piss off.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

What makes me more angry is the fact that this move could end up hurting both teams. Now the bench has to play.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Our players mainly starters will/need to play harder though:). When Ben was here the team got lazy becausee they thought Ben could take care of it. I don't think they're that confident in Nazr:laugh:.
  17. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Well, after reading Ben's exit interview it looks like this really just came down to the Pistons unwillingness to match Chicago's offer. Hard to believe that they didn't think Ben was worth an extra million a year. Ben talked about how it was a financial offer he couldn't refuse and that it would take care of his family and his family's family. Do you think this deal is larger than whats being reported? Tell me this did not all happen over a million dollars. If so, I'm tempted to get my Jackass Davidson avatar printed on a T-shirt! :rant:
  18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

FANTASTIC article. It captured the essence of the last three years without excessive wordiness. There aren't too many articles, colums, posts, etc. that I read word for word. This was an exception.

I hope he's correct.
  19. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Okay, so I did some more research and it looks like 60m over 4 years. That's a sizeable difference. Is that the max Chicago could offer? Sounds pretty dang close. If I'm Detroit, I still do it though to insure that the window for victory amongst the existing team is open. However, the decision to not resign Ben does not seem as ridiculous as I originally thought. So I guess this does come down to money and Ben losing faith in our existing system. It sounds like he really thinks he is in a better position to win with Chicago than he would have had in Detroit. Simply put, he loss faith in the team and went for a better paycheck and the best chance of winning. Definitely not good when the leader bails, but if he felt that strongly perhaps its best he's gone. I'm slowly moving out of this Ben Wallace withdrawl funk I'm in. I don't think the summer league games can come fast enough. :ohwell:
  20. roscoe36

I read a rumour that the Bulls promised Ben to make a serious play for KG. It's not that far fetched.