[ESPN] Ben to Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Can someone tape an M80 to Davidson's seat at the palace?

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Per Fad, Ben told Chad Ford Flip had nothing to do with this decision.

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Unfortunately you're right... ok back to there's no hope... it's all Flips fault

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Thats only bballjay unfortunantly. There is no silverlining because we get nothing in return.

5. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

I was just grasping for something positive to say. But you're probably right. Time to bust out some lemons. :P

6. max

max All-Star

It would help the Bulls as well so its not just about wanting to stick it to the old team. You are probably right though.

Not only do I not hope its about lux tax because thats what trading Arroyo/Darko was supposed to be about. What in the heck would he happening now if we still had that extra 9mil in salaries.

I also hope its not about wanting an uptemo undersized team that can run the floor. if we come into next season minus Ben and plus Bonzi then something is really wrong. Someone has to rebound and Dumars has always liked a large front court.

I don't know. Maybe Dumars knows something that we don't about Bens health and his ability to play well into his 30's. Because a 4 year deal would place Ben at 34 going on 35 in the final year. Recall last summer we all wondered what Ben would be playing like at age 37 when we were expecting a 6 year deal for around 17mil/season, thats what the local guys were telling us anyway.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh... so it wasn't Evans - Terminator Edition? :doh: :P :laugh:

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Are we reliving history again? FA's don't like going places where they are not going to be treated fairly. Remember how no one would come here after Isiah was dismissed from the organization.

The firing of coaches the past couple of years and now Ben Wallace leaving in disgust is not good for attracting FA's. I thought there would have been more room to negotiate than this is our final offer take it or leave it. I mean they could have matched Chicago's offer and then if they countered then said thats too high. The offers were not that far apart unless Detroit knew Chicago was prepared to go higher.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

OK, so they add up to any contract under 8.1 million. I don't see any center that could replace Ben who's under that level and not on a rookie contract. In fact, I'm not sure I see many available players available for that much who would improve on DD+Delfino's contributions with the holes currently available for them to fill - unless Bonzi Wells is our starting PF next season.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. No way could Joe D. be that dumb to make a final offer the first day of free agency, before Ben has even looked at another offer.

That's a great plan... if you never want to see the guy again.

To me, obviously an outsider's perspective, it looks like Ben was hardly "actively" seeking offers. It was Chicago that came to HIM, in DETROIT.

Ben, or more likely, his agent, was simply trying to establish a fair market value. Ben said he wasn't looking for more than 4 years. Something that would have played into Detroits hand, seeing as they would be less likely to want to go more than 4 anyway.

He also said that he didn't want to be wined and dined. Not something that someone actively, seriously considering offers would say.

I honestly do believe that it was simply about respect for Ben. I don't think it was as much the dollar figures he was insulted by - since $4 million over 4 years isn't that big of a difference to get insulted over. I think it was the fact that Joe took such a hard line - take it or leave it kind of attitude.

Well Joe. I really hope you know what you're doing. Because Ben left it.

11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Real shame---Are we seeing '91 again? Nice while it lasted.

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Agree with this... until one of these fun n gun teams get to the ship that's not the answer.... someone has to control the middle defensively(unfortunately we were last in the association in the paint offensively speaking).

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

try again later

14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Watching on ESPNews, Chris McCosky says that the Bulls actual offer was $60 mil over 4 years and the Pistons only offered $51.8 Mil.

I am no expert here, but the only way pistons get anything out of this is to to sign Ben for maybe $61M and trade him to the Bulls for Tyson Chandler. Roscoe or any other CBA experts can you tell me if this would possibly work???

or would that prevent us from getting anybody esle or would that money be charged against the bulls???

dammit Flip$%$%^&^&*

15. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I'm speechless. :mad:

16. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

I hate to say it but Joe siad when the season ended no matter what happens in the end it's Ben's decision.Was this a place the blame on Ben's shoulders early to not look like the bad guy?Give an offer, the first offer as your final offer?The fact he traded Darko,not that he shouldn't have but then letting the Body go,he better have a hell of a backup plan.

This isn't cool at all.

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well the Pistons were paying Ben between $6 and $7.5. They cleared $8 million in room. So why couldn't they come out with a $15 million offer to start?

No one in the media will ask that question...

18. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This is worse than losing in the playoffs because you know there will be another chance. When something like this happens though you know it just won't happen with the same team. You guys can buy those teal jerseys again.

19. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Ben didn't want to play in Detroit. Why else would he jump on the Bulls offer so fast. Why did he hire an agent if he just grabbed the money like that?

I think he sees an opportunity to transform this young Bulls team into a contender. It's about pride and ego and screw you Detroit.

Ben Wallace is my 11 year old son's hero. With out inflatable Ben Wallace defender he even seems like part of the family.

No silver lining in this deal I'm afraid.

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Somewhere bballjay is popping the cork on his champaigne... we'll soon find out what life is like without Ben.... my guess is the defense opens up like Madonna's thighs