[ESPN] Ben to Bulls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Jul 3, 2006.

1. max

max All-Star

probably not. From the 4-All stars with an honorable mention for Tay to 0. Talk about a change of fortunes. Getting beaten up in the playoffs does seem to change things.
  2. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Wow, what a load of crap in that McCoskey article. Ben is slowing down, so we'll put an even bigger bum out there at the 5 spot. Tay at the 4? The stronger 3's push him around and we were already the worst team in the paint. Every decision Joe has made since the Rasheed trade has been garbage. He has zigged when he should have zagged at every turn. Now he's in rebuilding mode with little to rebuild with. No cap space, an ageing point guard whose contract is coming up, a flaky power forward who will probably lose all interest now that the team has no real chance for a title. :doh: :frusty: :mad:
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Davidson probably isn't blameless in all this either.
  4. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

I'm not RELLY upset about all of this. Of all the starters, Ben is my first to go person. I'm not happy because it leaves us with a big hole at the 5 spot (Dale Davis?), but when Billups opts out we're gonna need some money and if I had to choose between Ben and Chauncey, I'll pick Mr. Big shot. So, do we want Joel or Nazr? Joel may be bigger, but Nazr has tasted deep playoff runs and winning.

With no Ben, do we really want Wells. He and Sheed in the locker room together may not work now that our leader (Billups and Rip?) are so laid back. Still need a back up Point guard.

Look for Prince's game to open up, Delfino to get his chance, Johnson and Max to play more and a trade mid season.

It's gonna be a weird but wild ride next season.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

A lot of teams will be going after Nazr and Pryzbilla. The Spurs. The Nets. The Hawks to name a few.

What happens if we get neither?

You feeling Lorenzen Wright?
  6. max

max All-Star

Why has no one ever pointed out that Bens numbers began to slip when he made the move form PF to C? All those great 20 reb/10 block games happened when he had Cliff/Zelly/Okur to man the center spot. He is too short to play Center.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm in for resigning Kelvin because he's big and can shoot some what. He'll have to work hard though. God I hope Joe pulls off something:fingerscr. This could of been worse. If we signed Ben for a bigtime contract and he didn't do good next season then we would all hope that Chicago would signed Ben. Bulls will be a contender next year, but then I think they won't be after that unless they get another good player after Ben's game starts dropping.
  8. roscoe36

If the Bulls trade Chandler for PJ Brown, Ben will be in seventh heaven. The Bulls will be in a good cap position down the road to re-sign Hinrich, Deng/Nocioni and Gordon.

Not to mention they play in a bigger market and can afford to spend into the tax if the team is good.
  9. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

:rain:

i appreciate those of you who are finding the bright side in all of this, but i am not like you. i see nothing good about this.

my hero is gone. and there's nothing i can do about it.

and it's raining outside. and my heart is broken.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good point. But I don't blame Ben for that.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yeah I'm trying to find the silverlining. I think my eyes are deceiving me right now and I only think I see silver.
  12. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

Okay. Kato is cool with me, but for how much? We'll still need a point. How much for Delk? Starters: CB, RH, TP, RW and CK Bench: TD, CD, AJ, AM and DD. Not the greatest, but if offence is the focus, doable.
  13. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

While it hurts to see Ben walk away, and I love what he has done in Detroit, I am very clear that resigning him to a big contract, and watching him grow old a Piston would have been a big mistake. I always felt that the reason that the Pistons were as good as they were the last few years is because they had an all-star center making $6 mil per year. His underpayment allowed us to build up the best starting 5 in the game. But he is undisputably on his way down. Paying him big bucks would have hand-cuffed us for years. But I am immensely loyal to Big Ben. I really hoped for him to get paid-off for all that he has given us. Good news is now he's getting paid, and we're not paying it. This is Joe D's toughest decision. Its a business, and while it reduces our chances of winning next year, it tremendously helps our outlook going forward. I just wish we had held on to Darko. Having him ready to move into the C spot would have made this whole story complete.
  14. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You all are way too uptight. Take several deep breaths. Hold it. Let it out on July 12th.

There are miles to go and much time. Let Joe D do his thing and then react.

Be cool
  15. roscoe36

The Pistons would have had to pay Darko $$$ in a year, when Billups is a FA. Darko wouldn't have signed for less than $9 million if he started for a year in Detroit.
  16. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Darko is 21 years old. I still think he has a world of potential, and would be willing to invest in that. Ben is one or two and done.
  17. roscoe36

It's about paying luxury tax MMJD. It's not about potential or winning.

This is strictly about money from the Pistons, although they will spin that it was unconsciensable (sp!) to pay an "aging" center that much money and they did the right thing for the [SARCASM]future[/SARCASM] of the Pistons.
  18. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

At some point we have to pay somebody if we want to be a winning franchise. I guess I would take a vets min to play a hybrid 3/4 ala Shawn Marion.

I still love the "hybrid" comment. Hybrid, meaning not really suited for the job, but forced into to it. So we will have hybrid PG, PF, and C next year. [SARCASM]Maybe Mr. D could turn all of those hybrids into fuel savings for Round Ball 1.[/SARCASM]
  19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Mr.D answered our question once and for all (no lux tax)... he's a cheap bastard.
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Depressing. Call me a bandwagon-ass cat, but I think League Pass is out for me now as well.