ESPN Bill Simmons rips Sheed pretty good..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by MisterZ, Apr 14, 2010.

1. MisterZ

MisterZ First Round Draft Pick

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nice article!
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I just chuckle at the whole thing... wallace is what wallace has always been, and Boston was foolish to expect anything but what they are getting. A big man with mad skills but on the downside of his game. Boston is liking to blame all there problems on Wallace but he's way down the list of problems if you ask me.

They were a perfect storm 2 years ago where 3 All-Stars had enough desire and just enough in there tanks to run full throttle for one year before they started to slow down and break down.

That and I am more happy with wallace if he does have anything to do with helping to end this brief celtic uprising. :MusicBigGrin: a piston till the end :P
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's funny. A few years ago when they got the new "Big 3", everybody expected this group to hold up for two, maybe 3 years max before age would catch up to them. They knew they were mortgaging their future for a quick ring. It's funny that now that things are playing out exactly as expected, some fans are looking to scapegoat an aging player that the organization went out of their way to recruit to be a bench backup. Sheed didn't swindle anyone. Doc, KG and Co. came to visit Sheed AT HIS HOUSE to convince him to come to Boston.

They got what they paid for. A team that could be dominant if healthy but would undoubtedly break down quickly due to age.
  5. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I find it amusing/confusing that people still work themselves up over Sheed.

I'm not a Sheed apologist, but get real Bill Simmons. Sheed is the 5th/6th cog in the wheel. The Celtics are now the Spurs of the East. An aging, declining team with a young PG who sign washed-up vets for the minimum to try and stay competitive.

PS - What CJ said...
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

7. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I think the article was a little harsh. I still wish he was coming off of our bench.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Sounded like :
    1) They didn't look into any Pistons' game for the past 3 years --- evidence they don't respect us.
    2) They lumped their woes in a pack and labeled as "Sheed" --- best scapegoat award.
  9. V_T

V_T Second Round Draft Pick

Excellent article. Actually, I have always had nearly the same thoughts about Rasheed. It's a sin to have so much talent and to use it this way...
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Anyone who thought the article was just "a little harsh" would never want them on their team. The article made him out to be the worst cancer in the entire league.
  11. max

max All-Star

Remember the 05 Sheed. He was the catalyst that year, when he had a good game we won and when he didn't we usually lost. Won a lot of games that year. He was 30 then and at the top of his game. I do not even blame him for the Horry thing in the Finals as that was an honest mistake. What was not cool was letting his personal beefs with Flip effect the rest of the team.

Celts were going downhill before he got there and even Simmons acknowledges that the Celts probably would not have a better record without him which kind of dilutes the whole slam theme to it.
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

People who hate Sheed will always hate Sheed. They expect him to be the kind of player/guy THEY want instead of accepting him for what he is and getting the most out of him. He's an easy target but rarely the source of your team's underlying issues. It makes for good press and allows people to take an "I'm better than that guy" position.

EVERY player in the NBA has good and bad, but he's one guy who's personality rubs people the wrong way and people can then make an active decision to A) label someone as a bad person (Davidson Syndrome) and B) Only talk about that person when something bad can be said about them.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Simmons has a lot of valid criticisms of Sheed, and successfully manages to conflate them (in the minds of his readers) with the lackluster performance of the Celts.

I liked Sheed. His act wears thin over time. We have a basic expectation in Detroit. Whether you are tall or short, fat or thin, high pedigree or mutt, you bring it each game.

Sheed is a high pedigree guy who doesn't bring it each game. He was never a "Detroit guy" but he is a fun guy. Ben Wallace is a Detroit guy. If Sheed had Ben's heart, he would be mentioned as one of the all-time greats.
  14. Darth Tater

I hate to say it, but...

:goodstuff:
  15. max

max All-Star

In all fairness ( not being a Sheed fan myself ) Up until his last year here, or about mid-way through that year, he always gave 100% effort on the other side of the court. When we 1st got him it looked at times as if we had 2 DPOY's on the court.

He looks done this year and its going to get ugly in Boston as they swine dive in the post-season. if they do make it past Miami and look for them to get swept by Clev.

I suspect that they signed him to play Howard in the post-season ( can he still play him ) and will never get the chance unless they upset Clev and make it into the ECF.
  16. BillLaimbeer

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. I guess you figure with 17,876 posts, Rascoe is bound to have a good one here and there.
  17. Darth Tater

According to my note pad this was his 6th good post since September 2005 when this place opened. That averages out to a little OVER one good post every year. More impressive is that his 5th good post was made only 7 months ago.

Yessir...Old Rascoe is on a roll!!

Group Hug everyone ---------->:grouphug:
  18. BillLaimbeer

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Time for another Rascoe Appreciation thread?
  19. Darth Tater

Brilliant! The season is over. Let's do it!!!!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes, he gave 100% fifty percent of the time. :pound:

Oh lawd.