ESPN: Chauncey Billups, the disposable superstar

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Omaha Piston, May 11, 2009.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Pretty good article. Not too much new in the article other than the way Joe and the coaches acted the day before the trade. I don't think Joe inticipated this trade destroying the teams chemistry.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How so?

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great historical read on Chauncey.

Need a similar write up on Sheed if he leaves, and of course not to compare situations, but a nice one on Daddy Rich

4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Piper saw it coming.
    I guess if the trade died in the last seconds, like the A.I. trade years ago, they didn't want Chaunc feeling all lame duck.
    -
    How long can a good story go on?

5. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

YES! Finally, someone who feels the same as I do!!!!

6. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Right. He had to be outwardly humble in order to maintain the team chemistry at a high level. Odd, though, that even if Joe D. did not see that on his own, that somebody on the coaching staff would not have conveyed it to Joe. Since the team concept is so important to Joe, he surely would have wanted to know about Chauncey's critical role in keeping it together. Was there a complete failure of communication between Flip and Joe?

7. pistonsloyalist

This is another reason why a guy like LB would have really been nice to have around. If CB was that critical to the team's chemistry and success, LB would know it, and he would make sure that Joe D. knew it.

8. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The write up on Sheed will not be as positive. When Sheed finally leaves the Pistons, the press will crucify him. They are just waiting. Also, Chauncey has been very good to the press and has been a model citizen on and off the court.

9. pistonsloyalist

My guess -- and it is only a guess -- is that writers will point to incidents that reveal he was, at times, a handful for Flip and Curry to coach.

10. max

max All-Star

You really have to give Trades like this a couple of years to pan out.
    Couple of years from now while the Pistons have a nice young core CB could be looking like Jason Kidd does now lumbering up the court on a high octane salary.

Botton line - I guess don't really care if it did set us back because we were not going to win anything anyway.

For some reason the trade has inspired Billups to play his best. Whatever - good for him but I am convinced that he was not going to do it here.

11. pistonsloyalist

Your description of Kidd is very apt. I like his backup, Barea, a great deal.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Berea is like a mini Steve Nash.

13. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to agree with you. Trading CB for cap space is ok, as long as you use the space to get someone(s) just as good or better.

The problem is Joe hasn't signed a decent FA since Rip, hasn't made a good trade since Wallace, and has drafted a total of 2 players that started significant games for Detroit since he's been here (Okur started less than 50 games in 2 years with Detroit).

If Joe can't trade Tay and Rip, can't get a decent FA to sign, and botches the draft again, we could be watch this same group chasing for the lottery over the next 3 years.

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IMO, this trade was a monumental mistake. It will continue to be. Nothing will make it not be unless LBJ or Wade decide that have to play for the Pistons or the cap space magically creates the perfect balance of players at the optimal prices.

The results of the Pistons season had he stayed with a new coach, un-injured, and a fantastic back-up PG are not set in stone, and i wish people would stop acting like it was.

This trade sucked. It sucks. The outcome sucks. The team chemistry is gone. We are now in the position where we have to blow it up and essentially start from scratch. It wasn't needed IMO. It wasn't necessary and i for one could have gone without the aggravation this year.

edited to add;

Fantastic.

15. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I find that whole episode unreal. It reminds me when my 9th grade boyfriend dumped in at lunch and all of my friends surrounded and consoled me....i was crying and upset....then a couple of my friends start to cry too....lol

The only person unscathed in the mess is chauncey. Unless we hear something about him. It has more to the story. Why didn't Joe tell Chauncey about the trade?

16. roscoe36

That cuts both ways. The evidence however is stacked against the premise that the season would have been a championship success.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

People want to base the trade on what happened this past season when the future will tell if this was a good trade. If they got a dominant C like Chris Bosh to form a Big 3 with Will Bynum and Rodney Stuckey then the trade will look a lot better.

Same goes with the roster. Yeah players like Sharpe and Amir might seem like failures now, but in a few years they might be [STRIKE]out of the league[/STRIKE] the 11th and 12th men on a mediocre team.

In both cases we got to wait to see how things play out and not go by what we see now. If we wait and see with out wallets then all the better.

18. roscoe36

You're sarcastic and insightful, but you mix them up so much, I have no idea when you are being serious and when you are not.

I didn't get your last post.

19. pistonsloyalist

Whatever you think about the trade, it does seem to me that the re-signing of Hamilton (3 days before the trade) was completely mishandled. There should have been what Henry Kissinger in a different context called a "decent interval" between the re-signing and the trade. Re-signing Hamilton at a time when the Pistons had to know the trade was likely -- or even certain -- was just bound to create bad feelings between the organization and Rip, and those feelings may linger. Indeed, other players on the team may well think less of the organization because of the way this played out.

20. max

max All-Star

It was far from it. Very far from it. But at least we could have pinned it all on the coach.