ESPN: Chauncey Billups, the disposable superstar

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Omaha Piston, May 11, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I still think that if had kept Billups and traded Sheed and/or Tay for a real big man and then added a FA that was an upgrade over kwame and fabio, there was a chance to get by Cleveland or Boston....

But to Dumars it was all about trying to have cap space available for one of the big fishes in 2010 and now he admits that probably none of them will leave their current teams unless two of them flee to play together in NYC.

We don't know yet which two teams get to the finals as it is mostly about whose upgrade or change that occurred either at the beginning or mid year compared to the prior season, made the most impact.

In 2004, the Lakers and Pistons get to the finals with the acquisition of Malone and Payton & Sheed and James... Pistons newbies win out as Malone and Payton are no shows in the finals.

Last year the Lakers acquire Gasol, and the Celtics trump them better by getting KG, Ray and Posey.

This year we got the Cavs possibly getting there with FA signing of Mo Williams and possibly the Nuggets getting there with Billups. We still got a month to see who's upgrade wins out here or will the wild card be Andrew Bynum, who was not available for last years post season but might show up this year ?:sssh:
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It's not so much that I wanna see Rip go. I like Rip.

What I DON'T like is the "hold the ball at the top while Rip runs through 4 screens to get a mid-range jumper" offense that seems to go hand in hand with Rip.

Rip has a unique skill set and he's good at what he does. It's just that too much has to happen for him to do it and it tends to bog down the offense.
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That is simply not true anymore. He's quite an average defender now. And he was probably always a bit overrated anyway... a lot of guys would look like all NBA defenders with a prime Ben and Rasheed protecting the paint behind him.

His post game consists of one move, the lefty hook, and it takes him about 10 seconds to set up the shot. If a team decides to overload on him, or if he is attempting to back down a bigger stronger defender, he is quite useless in the low block.
    His three point shooting is good if his minutes are cut down.

I think Prince could be a very good player off the bench for a lot of teams, but I think his days as a starter for a championship caliber team are long over.
  4. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Prince and Hamilton both bog down the offense. But Hamilton is a far more effective scorer at least... and he's probably the better defender too.

I'm not opposed to getting rid of either guy. But Prince is the one guy I absolutely cannot STAND anymore. :stirthepot:
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There was another player in the NBA who relied heavily on a hook shot too... Kareem.

Tay shoots more that 1 in 3 shots in the paint and does it at almost a .600 clip. If he only has one move, then that is fine with me, because it works.

Calling Tay a bench player is saying that there are 30 SF's better than him in the NBA. That is obviously not that case. There are probably 5-10 better.

The bottom line is that if we are willing to give up Tay, we will get something substantial in return.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

James Posey ? . . . :sssh:
    ----------
    I don't even want to think about that option.

Coach Zombie LOL might have been all we needed sadly. Play the young guys, stay out of the way, etc. Billups can coach the team on the floor.

We disagree on what was fundamentally wrong with the Pistons. I believe Flip, over-playing the starters, lack of playing the bench, and stupid additions (IE; Mo Evans) were the main reason they couldn't get out of the ECF not effort/want. So we will probably disagree on everything related to this topic.

Like Ernie mentioned, Joe keeping Flip and this core despite the obvious behind the scenes problems/lack of real addition to the team and results show he was the one that didn't seem to mind second place.

I'm super impressed with how he took the benching and his subsequent play on the court.

We have no PG to speak of, an idiot coach, traded away his best friend who happened to be the anchor of this team, and he held on and competed when everything was falling apart around him.

If anything my opinion of Rip went slightly higher; esp since i believe he could be/should have been used in so many more ways. When CB was getting trapped . . .NVM, pointless now.

Didn't people do that with AI? :sssh:
  7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great article. And probably not all that unique a story in the sense that anyone who makes it to this level has had to work pretty hard for a long time. Most however work hard by still make mistakes and misudgements that send them awray. Good for CB for presevering.

I listened to Malcolm Gladwell speak this week at our conference and the parallels between the Billups life story and what Gladwell had to say (and what his new book is about) are amazing.

We like to think of overnight sensations because that could happen to us. We don't like to think about the long years of work that really make someone step out so quickly. Gladwell uses the Beatles as an example - they played together live at least 1,200 times before ever coming to the U.S. and appearing on Ed Sullivan. (Which if nothing else tells you how bad a drummer Ringo much have been in the very beginning if that's the best he could do after 1,200 live gigs.)

The article does provide a good opportunity to rant about local (and probably anybody's) writers - a team only has 15 players. Why don't we know this kind of stuff about all of them?
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think he was overrated. True, this year he's been atrocious. However, I'd question his mental ability to cope with change before I question his defensive skills. After all, it was only last summer that he played for the Olympic Gold Medal team and did a pretty decent job IMO.

Then again, he was coming off the bench for the Olympic Team, so I guess we are on the same page. :)
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Knowing CB, as soon as Curry came up with something loser, CB would've had a conniption fit. Then you all could say, "Look what big head he is, he's undermining the coach".
    I wouldn't want to live thur that as a fan. Chaunc is in a more deserving place now.
  10. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I totally agree. I know Roscoe does not personally like Billups. I forgot what Billups did but I think Roscoe made it clear a few years ago he did not care for him as a person. I can respect that. But I do think he is allowing that to affect his judgement concerning Billups as a basketball player. That's not a knock on Roscoe. We all do it. A number of us probably make the same mistake concerning our opinion of Iverson. And we all do it as fans. It's funny when a controversial call occurs between two teams and ESPN puts out a poll. It funny to see how one state sees it 80% one way and then the other state sees it 80% the other. :pound::pound::pound:
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I honestly believe there is a greater number that is better than Prince. When I feel like it, I'll look up the stats to make a more compelling case.

I also didn't say that 30 SF's were better than him. He could still start on a lot of teams. What I said was that Prince could no longer be a starter on a championship caliber team (I believe there to be 3-4 team, tops, each year that is of that caliber). And I firmly believe that.
  12. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

What does Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Robert Horry, and Larry Bird all have in common with Chauncey? That is Reggie Miller 5 greatest closers of all time. That is an element that Mr. Big Shot brought that I find difficult for replacing ever. Oh man has the media been punching us in the stomach with this after the trade.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just saw that and laughed. I love CB, but he us not one of the best "closers" of all time; not even close.
  14. bmill

bmill First Round Draft Pick

haha, but did it hurt a little when you saw that?
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

not really, it was out of a little out of left field. Don't get me started on watching DEN and the trade though . . . :pout:
  16. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Totally agree. CB is great, but not that great.
  17. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Not only did he know how to get to the foul line, but he could make his free throw shots. The guys who can get to the free throw line are not as good on the line. that could be crucial when trying to close a game.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Reggie Miller should know.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That list was awful. Kobe shoots about 37% in playoff close-out games (and 40% overall in 5 NBA finals). Some closer, eh?

Horry doesn't belong (on the merit that he can't create his own shot) and neither does Chauncey.
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well they all have rings...

Horry 7, Jordan 6, Kobe 3, Bird 3, & Chancey 1