ESPN Joe Dumars Interview Feb 27 2007

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by lurker, Feb 28, 2007.

1. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

Chad Ford interviewed Joe D. yesterday, and you can stream it or download it as an mp3 here.

Here's a summary.

[trade deadline]
    it's interesting that nothing happened--I had conversations with a minimum of a half dozen teams
    I put some proposals out there, but deals are not easy to do--the money, personnel, and fit have to be there

from our standpoint, it wasn't from a lack of trying
    getting Webber softens the blow from not making a deal

[is league risk-averse?]
    to me, to take a risk is part of doing business, it's something I've never been afraid to do, once you get used to criticism it doesn't bother you

[Webber]
    I thought he would be good for us, but he's brought even more than I expected
    the fact that we can run our entire offense through him has been a huge plus, and what it has done is allowed us to avoid those long droughts that we would have in the past
    the fact that you have someone you can throw the ball to and have so many guys cutting off of him and getting layups and easy shots
    I thought he was a guy we could throw the ball to and he'd get point and rebounds, but the fact that we can flow our offense through him has made him such a big asset for us

I don't think there's anyone out there who's in a better position to know my team than me, so I know who's going to fit and who's not going to fit
    if I make a mistake and I bring a guy in who's not going to fit then I know I have to get rid of that guy
    I'm not just throwing stuff against the wall and hoping it works out--you have to know your organization, your culture, your system, your environment
    that's a part of making decisions about guys like Ben Wallace and not resigning him this summer, and bringing in guys like Chris Webber
    with all due respect, there's nobody out there that knows my organization better than I do
    [Ford: I'll agree with you there]

[Ben Wallace getting booed]
    I was surprised--I though they were going to give him a standing ovation

I thought the ovation would be just to say "thank you for what you did" and once that ball was tossed up, I fully expected them to treat him like an opponent
    the introduction was a time the fans could have said "thank you"

I like our team--we're not on this gaudy pace, there's not talk about 70 wins, there's not talk about a cakewalk to the finals, we have the fresh taste of defeat still with us, and we have guys who are motivated to show that they can do it--those are the aspects that I like about my team
    of course we lost Ben Wallace, but with Webber and the other bigs we probably have as good a balance as we've ever had--I like where we are right now

[better than last year?]
    it's hard to say right that now at the end of February, last year we probably were like 50-12, so to sit here and say I like it better would be hard to do, but I think we are in as good or a better position as were last year to have just as much or more success, because of the defeat that we tasted, because now you have to come back prove it again and nobody is just placing you in the finals--those things have a big impact on the team

[Flip to gopherland stories]
    I don't know--you have to know how we are here in Detroit about stuff like that--we always say look, we're going to be a good team, and we love having Flip here and he's doing a really good job this year
    at the end of the year, that's his call what he wants to do
    he hasn't said a word to me about it, I haven't said a word to him about it because it's not my focus
    stuff like that comes up and obviously we've gone through something like that before
    for us here, it's really not a big deal

[All-Star in New Orleans]
    the will have to have a lot of security there
    New Orleans is a lot more spread out than Vegas
    in Vegas, everything is right there on the strip
    I don't think it's going to be as much as a problem as Vegas

[about Vegas]
    I never felt fearful
    the issue was just overcrowding
    all the other stuff, that's going to be anywhere

[will NBA survive in New Orleans]
    that's going to come down to whoever the owner of that team is
    it's going to be a challenge, you lost a lot of people and revenue, as you saw with the Saints, you have to be able to connect with the people and be willing to stick it out

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good stuff. Thanks for posting this, Lurker.

3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yeah, not brief, Lurk.

4. kolay

kolay First Round Draft Pick

Lurker,
    Can I transfer your summary to our forum on telnet:// ptt.cc?

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

kolay, you are welcome to copy our stuff as long as you give credit to lurker and link back. Hope that helps.

6. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great job, thanx.

7. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

nice one. joe d doing the biz.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

telnet:// ptt.cc
    what, looked like a picture or something.