ESPN Poll Proving The Media Was Right...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Latinoking90, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

In that the world wanted to see Kobe vs. LeBron.

[​IMG]

At least Michigan's level of interest wasn't impacted by the Cavs lost. Poor Florida, no one is more interested than them, but they got a HUGE reason too!
  2. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

I wasn't going to even check the score if it was Kobe vs. Lebron... let alone watch games. I just hate participating in the Nike ESPN mega marketing machine. Now that the Magic are in it, I will probably try to follow this series.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...that would have been sickening to watch They probably had a whole new set of puppet commercials ready to air during the Finals.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You're just a puppet hater.
  5. basketbills

I always enjoyed those Lil' Penny commercials. He was kind of a puppet.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm 99% certain that TNT had Lil' Penny aboard the boat after he had set LeBron's puppet on fire for the Cavs Gone Fishin segment.
  7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

It probably dates back to his days at the Detroit News. Muppets, puppets, all the same. :sssh::pound:
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is evidence that the NBA doesn't rig the outcome, right? Clearly, Lebron in the Finals would have been the bigger revenue generator. This is a year when the NBA could really use a boost.
  9. hifiPistons

hifiPistons Second Round Draft Pick

Mr. Stern cant rig everytime, he dont want to be captain Obvious. I think they allow sth to run wild like this year so all the rig, fix things remain conspiracy theory
  10. Darth Tater

I think that Orlando was just so much better than Cleveland that the NBA was unable to rig it. Had the games gone down to the wire, Cleveland would have won.
  11. Latinoking90

About the puppets commercials, how is Dwight suppose to do one if he's with adidas?

And I agree with this:

And perhaps Stern didn't want another sweep since the Cavs had such a weak supporting cast.
  12. basketbills

Are you suggesting you would have wanted the puppet commercials to continue?
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cleveland was not a weak team. Look at their reg season record and home record. Spectacular. They dismantled us without a problem and we were able to compete with Orlando.

It was easily riggable.
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Nah...I can't say that's proof. Because even with all the "rigging," a team can still come out on top if they are just simply better. Or for, say, one game if a team plays out of their minds for 48 mins, they can overcome the slant. The bias/slant/rigging works more as insurance than it does an operating procedure...it's more effective as kind of a "make sure" if someone's up 5 at home with 3 mins left, they stay up. Or as something that tips the hand, like if a team's 2nd best player is somehow limited to 25 min because of fouls and has 3 before the mid way point of the 1st qtr.

Orlando beat CLE because CLE doesn't match up well with ORL's strengths...

Just think, Stern couldn't have been happier if Shaq, Kobe, Payton, and Malone took it in '04..they'd still be talking about it 5 years later...but, the fact is DET was clearly a better TEAM even if they didn't have the Big Man and the Puppet. DET MASHED LA plain and simple...there was nothing any amount of ref baiting could have done to derail that series unless they fouled out DET's entire starting 5 and that's where the NBA's plans fall down sometimes.

They would have to make it criminal in order for it to be proven...so, they tone it down a bit and just help things along.
  15. max

max All-Star

I know corruption goes on to some extent but I am not totally sold on it. They had their chances to give Clev the series. Like in that overtime game where Lebran did not get the calls. Or when they would back off Howard when he was getting into foul trouble.

Marketing 101. If you don't plug a team, in this case the Magic, then how do you expect casual fans to know about them?

Only thing I miss about Lebran vs Kobe 1.0 is wondering how Lebran was going to blow off Kobe after the Lakers won. Maybe he would have done the old bit where you pretend to shake the guys hand and then fix your hair instead.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Exactly, why doesn't the NBA find Howard as marketable as LeGone? This is "Superman" we're talking about. All the kids know him. He's dunks on everybody. He's got a huge smile on his face permanently. He's a nice kid who thanks God every time he's interviewed.

What a marketing dream!

The NBA should market interesting storylines as they develop. In 2004, the defensive Pistons should have been marketed as Bad Boys II and compared to the Jordan stoppers in the late '80's... only now threatening to stop Kobe.

Now, it should be Dwight Howard as the league's most dominant big man since Shaq in his prime. Superman and the 3-point attack vs. the Lakers. I think it's an exciting match-up and I look forward to watching it. I can't always say that about the Finals.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

I agree. IMO Dho is 10X as likeable as Lebron or Kobe and a much better role model for kids. The only harsh words I've known him to speak were the ones he had for Van Gumby...who deserved them.
  18. Latinoking90

I like puppies...but not Lebron puppets.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think in general wing players or Jordan clones are easier to relate to for the normal person than the big man. This was one of the big riffs in the Kobe v Shaq relationship, Shaq couldn't understand how the Lake fans could back Kobe after his rape accusation.

I think one thing the NFL does extremely well is market its' teams and the entire league as a whole instead of the "marquee" teams and players.

Heading into G6 of the ORL-BOS series according to Mike Tirico the big "story line" was the Howard/VG beef and not the fact the Magic were 1 game from being eliminated.
  20. Darth Tater

That's really funny shizzle Max. :pound: