1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

European Basketball Championship 2005

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

^^^Amen. Even Jonathan Givony of Draft Express (a fairly tough critic of Darko's summer league play) noted that Darko was giving the Serbs good minutes today. He posts at interbasket.net, which is a more European-oriented board. The Serbian fans are all over their coach right now, as you might imagine.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Btw, Good luck loading the eurobasket.com or eurobasket2005.com websites. Those cats obviously underestimated the server resources necessary to cater to the tournament internet traffic.

Hopefully they invest in some load balanced server clusters and pay for it by charging top dollar for advertising. Surely Nike and Chad Ford would love to have their names plastered all over those sites during the next week.

3. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

DARKO = RATINGS

4. roscoe36

I don't want to get too geeky about this, but those sites are both database driven and when you have 2,000 people hitting a database simultaneously you can't run on a $200 per month server anymore.

Even the Vegas Summer League website couldn't handle initial demand and had to upgrade shortly after opening. And I am sure that the Eurobasket2005 site (which btw features live updates as on NBA.com) is getting hammered by 10's of thousands of visitors from around the world.

5. roscoe36

The third post in this thread has the postgame wrap up and box score info.

6. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Spain game

According to hoopshype, Darko and his teammates were roundly booed during the Spain loss. :mad:

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Nice how they made sure to put Darko's name in that capsule even though Krstic, Rebraca and the rest of the team were the truly disappointing performers. Sounds like the Serbian guards couldn't stop penetration to save their lives.

8. Wingspan

Wingspan Second Round Draft Pick

Ignacio vs. Darko photo

Darko's in a photo of Ignacio De Miguel on the Eurobasket website. It could be one of Darko's two fouls, but still: there he is!

9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Eurobasket recap:

The much anticipated game between Serbia & Montenegro and Spain failed to live up to the expectations - because of the visitors' near perfect game in an 89-70 rout at Novi Sad.

Behind Juan Carlos Navarro's 27 points, Spain took the lead from the start and never rescinded it, leaving little choice to the Serb & Montenegrin fans but to boo their own heroes and cheer when they missed shots in the closing minutes of the blowout.

'The fans' reaction was understandable because we lost at home,' said Serbia Montenegro's coach Zeljko Obradovic. 'Some people will try and make excuses by saying that we lost because of the pressure of playing in front of our own fans..

'But Spain beat us and that is all there is to say. They won by 19 points, the biggest lead of the game and there is no excuse to be made for our performance.

'I am disappointed that the fans booed us because when we are down, when we are losing, that is when we need them the most. We appreciate their support when we are winning, but it is more important to know that they are on our side when we are having trouble in a game. And tonight they did not do that.'

Serbia & Montenegro did not play particularly badly - just not nearly as well as their opponent on the night.

Navarro could not miss and gave his side the advantage early with a personal barrage from behind the three-point arc. He finished the night shooting 9 of 13 from the field including 5 of 8 from three-point territory.

'I just shot the ball when I felt I had a good shot and it kept going in. I tried not to force anything and be sure not to play out of our game plan,' Navarro said after the game.

But it wasn't just Navarro that Serbia & Montenegro couldn't stop. NBA-bound Jose Calderon finished with 17 points, including several key baskets in the second half to halt runs by the host nation.

It seems the Spanish team can do without NBA star Pau Gasol.

'I don't want to talk about Gasol,' Spanish coach Mario Pesquera said. 'We'd be happy to have him on the team of course, but we don't. So I just look at the players we have and if they can play the way they did tonight in every game, then I'm more than happy to have just these guys.'

Serbia & Montenegro trailed by eight points after the first quarter (21-13) and even though they improved in they were behind by 13 by half-time.

None of the team's NBA elite seemed to be able to get anything going on the night. Marco Jaric of the Minnesota Timberwolves was held scoreless and Zeljko Rebraca could not give his side a much-needed presence in the paint.

Instead it was former NBA player Igor Rakocevic who carried Serbia & Montenegro for most of the night, going into the paint time and time again to create an easy basket for his team-mates or draw a foul. He finished with 20 points.

Obradovic could not stop Spain's run-and-gun style of play and instead went deep into his roster to find some offensive firepower to match the Catalan nation's outpour.

Midway through the second half, Obradovic brought on Seattle Supersonic forward Vladimir Radmanovic and Detroit Pistons center Darko Milicic.

Radmanovic brought some offense immediately with a lay-up and a three-pointer on back to back possessions to reduce Spain's lead to 10 points, 60-50. But he brought little more.

Milicic provided some inside toughness defensively but because of the deficit had little chance of getting touches offensively.

Spain was able to maintain its double digit lead intact for much of the second half with Navarro continuing his impressive display, Calderon joining in on the act and Inaki de Miguel scoring from inside and out.

Through the first three quarters, Spain shot 16 of 27 from two-point range, 7 of 16 from beyond the arc and had made 17 of their 24 free throw attempts.

The boos got louder and louder as the game came to an end and the fans eventually started cheering the Spanish duo of Navarro and Calderon who were making shots from everywhere, with hands in their faces and while being fouled.

Jaric was cheered when he attempted - and again missed - his last shot of the game, leaving Obradovic to give a stern warning to the fans.

'Let the fans come tomorrow, we'll see what they do then. We know we have fans who support us and some who don't. I'm telling the ones who are against us to show themselves tomorrow.'

BOX SCORE
    -

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Darko Has a big game!

His stat line was:
    14 Minutes, 11 points (3-3 FG, 5-5 FT), 7 rebounds (3 offensive), 3 blocks, 1 steal, ZERO fouls.

He played withh Krstic for a while

Milicic who replaced Zelly was great on defense (and it's not only the great blocks) and terrific on offensive glass (from which almost all his points came from).
    Hit one 15 footer also.
    10 of his points were all of the 4th quarter when Serbia went for 26-12, after leading only by 2 in the 3rd

More to come

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's believed that Darko moved over to PF when he was in with Krstic... it was too much size for Israel... Israel should not be mistaken for NBA talent on their front line but Darko playing well at PF seems like a logical choice on this team that is shallow at the PF spot.... moving back to center when Krstic went out.

Darko playing PF more as a Piston?
    Well maybe if Sheed played more at the 5

Game stats

12. roscoe36

Sweet. Thanks Merc.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

[​IMG]

Hoopshype brackets and summary

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Keys: Much better team play by Serbia-Montenegro ... Milicic made a big impact in the fourth quarter ... Rakocevic and Krstic played pretty well."[/FONT]

14. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

darko

A slice of the recap from the eurobasket website.

Serbia & Montenegro looked like they had reverted to their bad ways of the previous night against Spain when they could not find or create open shots and had to force several shots to avoid a shot clock violation.

But the unlikely pairing of Nenad Krstic and Darko Milicic gave them a solid inside presence at both ends of the floor.
    Krstic provided some much needed offense late in the third quarter while Milicic blocked shots and was an imposing presence defensively. He was also able to contribute offensively scrapping for rebounds and getting putback baskets.

Things were in the hosts’ favour in the final period, as they held Israel scoreless for close to seven minutes.
    After the visitors tied the game at 67 all early in the quarter, Serbia & Montenegro went on a 20-0 run thanks to Krstic and Milicic up front and the now efficient backcourt of Jaric and Rakocevic.

Fittingly, it was the home kid, Milicic who capped the impressive run with a jumper from the left wing that made it 87-67.

Rakocevic finished with 15 points and six assists while Krstic had a double double of 13 points and 10 rebounds. Milicic was efficient in limited minutes, scoring 11 points, grabbing seven rebounds and three blocked shots, as all the players who took to the court for the hosts got on the scoring sheet.

15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Merc,
    you're psychic, I was about to ask who played PF and who played center. A Darko-Ben front court starting to look like a pretty good thing.

16. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

Darko played well again tonight.Actually he's getting better & more confident with more playing time(unusual?).The best part of Darko's play in these euro c'ships is that the head coach is actually putting trust in young Darko by inserting him in crutial situations(in the fire i would say).Yesterday & today Darko enters the game at simmilar stage(midle of 3rd quarter) and sticks with him right through till the end of game.I noticed that becasue i thought the coach might go for experience and play Rebraca in crunch time,instead he chose young Darko.Aslo he's putting up decent stats so far.In only 14 min. per game Darko's averages are 7ppg,5.5rb,2.5 blocks.He's 2nd in tournament in blocks per game just after leader kirilenko from russia.Plus he's perfect from the floor100% and 100% from ft line.So far so good,hopefully he gets more action tommorow.:)

17. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

One more thing.I would strongly recomend checking out this pay -per view website.You only pay 24 dollars and get to watch all 36 games from the euro c'ships(all live btw).I have watched all games so far and its like having nba tv(euro style).The website is www.mediazone.com/channel/basketball/jsp/index.jsp

18. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Emotional roller coaster ride

That sure is encouraging news! I'm reluctant to get my hopes up on him, though, because it seems like every time we hear something good it's followed by something discouraging and we are right back to square one.

19. roscoe36

The best news is, Serbia won today and their next game is against cellar dweller Latvia.

The top 3 teams in each pool progress, so Serbia advances with a win, and if they lose I imagine it is head-to-head that determines the tie-breaks.

The next round is sudden death elimination though, so DMC will probably get 2 more games, and with some luck a run to the championship.

Best case scenario is an Israeli loss in their next game against Spain.

Btw, that Spanish guard Jose Calderon is a guy the Pistons were rumoured to be looking at. I'm happy T.O. picked him up. The guy looks like an awesome point guard.

MY BEEF

I was just over at the Nets site and they are pimping Kristic.

http://www.nba.com/nets

Go to the Pistons site

http://www.nba.com/pistons

See the difference?

20. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

At least the Pistons' site DOESN'T have a photo that is captioned, "Jason Kidd gets a whipped cream facial from an Urban Promise camper."

I can't stop snickering at that one. :)