European Basketball Championship 2005

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Just to keep things in perspective, this is from an Israeli poster:
    "He (Drarko) scored because he managed to out-power the Israeli 6-9 C and the 6-6 PF for offensive rebound and then made easy lay-ups, or was fouled doing that and making his FT, or both….Yaniv Green is 6-9, and most of the time Israel plays with Gur Shelef as a PF and he is no more than 6-6. this game he didn't play much, but Cris Watson that replaced him isn't bigger than that, and anyway Shelef played at least half of the 4th quarter".

Next up is another smallish team (Latvia).

At least Darko is building confidence (along with his coach).

2. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

To borrow a baseball analogy, Darko is using these 6'9" Euroleague guys like a dumpy slumpbuster*

*Not that I think there is anything wrong with slumpbusters...

3. punisher

punisher Second Round Draft Pick

Somebody already mentioned, head-coach plays him in crunch time. Could be due to the foul-trouble Darko experienced during the prep.tournaments but in the final 15 min. yesterday Darko went without a single pf...

The thing I noticed about him yesterday is that he was pretty calm, even though the Israelis were tying the game and looking for a steal...he was actually looking for a body-contact down low, and he maintained his composure, was 5-5 from the line, hit a 18-footer, one put-back, made one basket when Jaric passed him the ball down low as he head someone on his back (quickly went up, turned around and laid it in), grabbed 3 huge off.rebounds that got him to the free-throw line, and blocked 3 shots...he was just amazing....

I only hope he continues like this, this is what the team needs...he is on the cover-pages now...

http://www.basket-plus.com/eurobasket2005/eurobasket2005.htm

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Explain this then (I would write to that poster)

Gee, so I wonder exactly how that Israeli poster would explain the fact that these so short people were not being taken advantage of by Zelly and Krstic before Darko got into the game. Its hard to downplay a 20-0 run. Go ahead and try, but Darko flat out changed the game.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Actually Kristic also took advantage as he had a double double in that game.

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

If Darko takes advantage of players shorter than him, I won't complain.

If Darko takes advantage of players slower than him, I won't complain.

If Darko takes advantage of players who haven't had his opportunities to learn from the finest defensive frontcourt on earth, I won't complain.

Guess that leaves very little for me to complain about. :)

7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

But his team was not beating the other team, until Darko came in the game. Krstic was scoring and rebounding, but not winning. With Darko in the mix though, adding truly good defense, amongst other things, then some winning was occurring. Taking advantage was occurring. Before Darko was in the game, spinning of wheels with no forward motion was occurring.

8. roscoe36

I'm not saying Darko wasn't a major factor, but let's keep it real and the expectations reasonable. By all accounts, several guys played a very strong game for Serbia and to be honest, Israel is not a very good team.

It's a one game sample. Hopefully DMC continues this progress, but geez, he's still a long way from tournament MVP let alone his own team MVP.

9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Gee Micro, although you said it in a backwards way, you are admitting Darko was a major factor in this game. Which is all I ever said. As far as keeping it real, look in the mirror.

10. roscoe36

I don't have to "admit" what I believe to be the truth. I just think it is small to diminish the other players on the Serbian and Israeli teams to make a point about how good DMC played.

No seriously, give the kid some breathing room. He'll turn out fine if people don't climb all over every basket he makes, or scream everytime he misses.

Just let Darko be Darko without trying to idolize or demonize him. He's just a basketball player, and one of 12/15 on the team.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The way I look at it is any success Darko has will improve his biggest weakness (confidence)... it's ok to point out his accomplishments and it's ok to point out his failures... somewhere in between lies the truth about his current abilities.
    I remember Yaniv Green from the SL a couple years ago... he was a very skilled PF... I thought he would make a good SF in the NBA but was not physical enough to play PF in th NBA.. Darko should dominate him physically... at least he did what is expected...
    The more I think of it the more I like DMC at PF... it allows him to free wheel more inside and out... I would really like to see him paired with Ben during the preseason to see how they compliment each other... who knows, in a year or so Sheed may bring some nice players in return.
    But I won't get to silly about DMC beating up on smallish Israelis at this moment.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

microwave. just make sure you jump in and correct posters that try to diminish what darko does too. just like you jump in and try to correct lee when he may get too excited about darko's great play. the post lee responded to was obviously meant to diminish darko's great game. no matter what some people are going to try to diminish anything darko does so it's only right that there are some posters that will come in and back up darko and say the things he's doing are legit.

isreal was hanging with serbia until darko showed up on the scene. serbia is definitely nba level talent. the euro's hung with our nba players we sent over for the olympics. these are not pickup basketball teams. atlanta is an nba team. it's like no matter what darko does it doesn't count.

13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ok Bball, I guess it's hard to accept that the level of competion could effect darko's performance... we should only say good things about him no matter what the circumstances.

BBall, it's alright to be objective and still root for the kid.... I have pointed out the good in his game (see this first post about Israel game)... are you willing to recognize his current limitations?

The more I hear from people that have been watching these games is that Zelly is really starting to slow down on defense... he's becoming a liabilty.
    Let's hope the coach is seeing what others are and give Darko a bigger chunk of minutes.

14. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This is a good time to change subjects.

The Eurobasket website has some nice video highlights for each bracket and day. You can download a big WMV file of Day 2 at the URL below, for instance. First up is Spain-Latvia, then the Serbia-Israel game starts around the the 3:15 mark.

Not much in the way of Darko highlights. The best is a block at the 5:34 mark. But watching some European guy dancing in the stands around the 4:50 mark is definitely a highlight.

http://www.eurobasket2005.com/en/ci...id_JoNvZTj3HtQHErvIohsEf2.articleMode_on.html

15. roscoe36

I tried to download those yesterday but you needed a pay account with mediazone or the chinese broadcast site to watch them. It was like the WMV files were encrypted.

Did you subscribe to these?

16. roscoe36

Looks like Israel beat Spain so DMC's SCG team will need a win today against Latvia to advance.

The reason they need a win is that a loss would make them 1-2 with Latvia and Latvia having the tie breaker based upon beating SCG.

That's assuming that tiebreakers are a standard head-to-head and not some esoteric system like points for or against.

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

MW, I don't have a subscription. Instead of hitting the "play" link I chose the "download" link. It's like a 32 mb file, but I downloaded it to my desktop just an hour or so ago and watched it on Windows Media Player ... even though I have a Mac, which seems to be incompatible with the live webcasts.

18. roscoe36

Dang,

My Windows Media player tries to acquire a licence and demands that I log into one of two sites (which are pay only) in order to view the movie. I tried downloading AND watching from the link. I was going to host them here if I could get the downloads working.

19. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Micro

All you have to do is go to their site, The medazone.com one and register for free, you give an EMAIL address and you are registered. Then after registering it will allow you to watch the highlights. It worked for me.

20. roscoe36

I'm stupid. Thanks! Works like a dream.