European Basketball Championship 2005

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by roscoe36, Sep 12, 2005.

1. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Yes, it sounded very familiar. Seems like all the powerhouse national teams begin to fall apart when their players become big pro stars with big NBA-style egos. Argentina is probably due for the same thing.

From 24sec.net:

2. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

Don't know whats really going on with nba players in FIBA competitions.I remember reading articles about euro's finding it hard to re-adjusting to euro rules all over again.Also iv'e noticed that FIBA rules alows much more phisycal contact.Thats prolly why Krstic is exelling in nba but finding all the no-call rulls hard to adjust to.Notice most of the euro games are low scoring,thats from teams treating every posetion like nba playoff game.To me Darko looks to preffer the rougher euro game under the boards,because in nba he usually would get called for fouls on agressive plays.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I really don't feel it is fair to attack Kristic just because of Darko's situation. Reminds me of a certain poster on another board relentless abusing Darvin Ham, for basically just being on the roster.

There is a guy who should not have played, and his name is Zelly. The coach is the other guy to be upset with for sure.

Kristic has done nothing but play and play well for his country. It does him a disservice to knock his playing in front of Darko (like he can control the lineups). Any rook who can average 18PPG against Shaq in the playoffs is ok by me.

4. birdman

birdman Second Round Draft Pick

Microwave i'm not attacking Krstic,infact i think he's a future nba all star.I'm just saying he didn't play as good in this tournament,maybe he didn't know his role well.I agree with you regarding the coach,he's a moron & this is his 3rd strait failure with the national team (2000 olympics,2004 olympics & now).I read another article where Darko said he & Krstic will form the the twin towers on the serbian team for many years to come.Looks like he & Krstic are friends after all.

5. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

Block video

WOW! That is the enthusiasm and energy I've been looking for. I don't even care if he makes mistakes, in preseason or in any regular season minutes he gets, as long as he shows that kind of excitement for the game when he is playing.

That's a long way from the slumped shouldered Darko we are used to.

I can't wait for the preseason to start! Go Darko!

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Wow

When a major news organization actually bothers to cover something usually limited to fans, it's amazing how much more info is revealed. This is an AP story running in today's Washington Post.

7. roscoe36

*removed*

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'm ticked off

Wow. That Free Press article today on Darko's performance in the EBC's was terribly misleading . Just horrible!

Relatively few people come to this site as compared to those that read the Free Press. So most of the country is going to believe that bunk in the Free Press. I know I would have swallowed it hook,line, and sinker if I didn't get to see the whole picture here.

Thank you pf.com and posters for giving us the opportunity to see the whole story. We could actually watch for ourselves and also read what different people had to say (good and bad) in order to help us make an informed opinion/analysis. We weren't limited to excerpts of one writer's opinion which slanted it in a certain (negative) way.

Yeesh!!!!!

9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I know summer's a slow period, when reporters are on vacation using up the "comp time" that newspapers give them for working nights and weekends. But this kind of thing is just BS. Zero effort would be required to learn more, just as we do. And when I think how much easier it is with Pistons contacts and press credentials, I get really pissed off.

What we need is a third paper to kick these clowns' butts.

10. roscoe36

Or a Pistons fan based community that presents a professional image and becomes a legitimate sports news source for the team. ;)

It's all about the credentials...

11. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Industrial Size Toilet Paper

You notice no one signed his/her name to that crap.

12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Meanwhile the only word out of the Pistons' site is a wire service crawl from the Spurs about Parker leading France to a victory.

Folks at the Palace are astute marketers overall, but their online channel is seriously deficient.

13. roscoe36

Shocking development

Serbia-Montenegro basketball coach quits

9/21/2005, 6:57 a.m. ET By DUSAN STOJANOVIC
    The Associated Press

[​IMG]
    NOVI SAD, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) — Serbia-Montenegro basketball coach Zeljko Obradovic resigned Wednesday after his team's early exit from the European Championship and a locker room brawl between several teammates.

France beat Serbia-Montenegro 74-71 Tuesday to reach the quarterfinals, eliminating the hosts and reigning world champions with a 2-2 record.

Team captain Dejan Bodiroga, center Zeljko Rebraca of the Los Angeles Clippers and Dejan Tomasevic also announced they were quitting the national squad.

More here

Btw, this means Darko will play more in any remaining games to sort out final overall position. No more Zellie.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

No more Zellie

How many more games could they possibly play?

It sounds like the mixing of rich NBA players with the Euros has created some interesting dynamics within teams.

I would be good to see what Darko could do in a 30 minute span.

15. roscoe36

40 minute games, I doubt he would get to play 30. Maybe 20 though...

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yikes. I'm sure glad Darko didn't break his hand in that brawl. :boxing:

Out of habit, he was probably sitting on the end of the locker room bench and observing the fight while waiting for his coach to put him in.:laugh:

17. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko getting hit below the belt...

[​IMG]

He looks like a beast though.

19. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

I believe they have to play for positions 9 and up. The World Championship just increased the number of participants to 24, with 4 of those positions to be fill by Invite teams that didn't qualify on their regions. They are doing this because for the last World Championship some of the international powerhouses didn't qualified and the championship wasn't as attractive. This means Serbia-Montenegro have a good chance to be call to participate because they are the World Champs. Puerto Rico is hoping to be call, due to their long tradition of beign one of the America's best.

20. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Darko getting hit below the belt...

Ouch! That's probably why he has that scowl on his face. :)

It seems like the poor chap is always getting the raw deal (broken hand, groin shot) when he's out on the court. :eek: