Ex-Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I never said I liked Frank. I might never have used the clueless label on him, but I don't think that he was a good coach for us. You are disagreeing with what you perceive to be my opinion.

My point was that he had 4 different coaches (and coaching staffs) to impress and earn play time. He has been unable to do that. If Daye had played for only one coach so far, you could make the argument that the coach was an idiot who hated the kid and torpedoed his career. At this point, you can't make that argument, because it would imply that there are 4 different coaches who are conspiring against a player. A more plausible explanation is that he's just a marginal player.

Yes, let's see what happens now with Gay off the team. Other players on the team seem to have benefited from Gay's departure so far. If Daye explodes now and becomes half the player you believe he is, I will gladly eat the crow and change my avatar to any Austin Daye picture you wish for an entire year.

Just to make it measurable, Daye's supposed to be a good shooter, right? That's his strength. If he manages to average more than 1.0 3pointer and 8.0 pts per game for the rest of the year (from the day of Rudy Gay trade) then you win.
    jzchen and linwood like this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brandon Knight with 36 points tonight...
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

Gee, the Pistons could sure use a guy like that.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I did have fun watching that game, even though the Bucks lost. Knight got all his points in regulation, as the Knicks prevailed in double OT. However, since Knight only had 3 assists, vs. 8 turns, I will probably choose Jennings with is 14 assists to just 4 turns on the same night. And Jennings knocked down 28 points himself.

Meanwhile, despite a bum ankle, Middleton played 52 minutes, guarded Anthony very well, and knocked in 20 points while gathering in nine rebounds.

But now, if you look at the trade, our guy got 28 points that night. The two guys we traded for Jennings combined for 48 points, and one is a defensive fiend. (not that Knight is a bad defender.)

Of note, Giannis got his first start, looked pretty good in the starting unit for Milwaukee, making it really more balanced. But still (and especially with Chandler back for the Knicks) the front line of Milwaukee is too weak without Sanders.
    linwood likes this.
  5. max

max All-Star

Hard to judge by stats when looking at the worst team in the league. I will have to pay more attention next Bucks game. Last game Middleton,Knight did not exaxctly stand out to me. Overall Knight is about 13 PPG 4 APG which is about what he was doing here.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I watch all the Bucks games. Believe me, Middleton is much more a point guard than Knight. Middleton is the one who consistently drives in, and hits the open man with a crisp pass. Speaking of that, Middleton just had a game with over 20 points, where he scored inside / closer in in several ways, from fades to floaters. Which drew everyone to him every time he drove in, leaving lots of open players to pass to. Excellent decision making by Middleton on when to pass, and when to score it. Now, Milwaukee still has a huge problem, since the only real solid up front player they have, Sanders, is still out.

So anyway, I came here tonight to rail against Dumars really, for giving up players for nothing. Middleton, on this particular night, was plus 6, with 15 points. His team lost, but he was the 2nd best player on his team in terms of plus minus. Meanwhile, Afflalo shot 9-11 in burning us tonight. And Amir helped his team with a team best plus 18 tonight.

PS, in case anyone missed it, while the trade was sold to us as a straight up sign and trade where we swapped points - Knight for Jennings, Milwaukee and Milwaukee fans never saw it that way. They are thrilled to have Middleton and his stellar D, along with the fifth best 3 point shot in the NBA and the ability to score from anywhere on the court. (So far, at least Middleton is not showing the ability to post up - if he starts doing that, Dumars is going to look truly bad for "throwing Middleton in" in that trade.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What kind of PG averages 1.7 assists to 1.2 turnovers per game?
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So pretty much like every other night.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yeah, and as long as the Pistons keep failing to develop their players, I will keep mentioning their failures.
  10. roscoe36

The thing is none of us can do anything about it. I think it's fine to express disappointment or discontent, certainly on these forums.

I'm just not sure what the message is in dissecting every single game in Milwaukee when none of us made the decision, and none of us can change the decision.

No matter how much regret any of us feel, Joe Dumars is going to continue to make the moves he wants to make until the owner decides otherwise. Ultimately, the audience for this analysis might be Tom Gores, who I don't believe is on this forum, and if he is, Hey Tom, let's talk corporate sponsorship.

It's sort of like starting every single game report with an indepth analysis of Singler with a fraction of that analysis devoted to any of the other 8 or 9 guys who played. It's probably more effective to make the point once than to repeatedly hammer it home, when none of us have any control over who plays and who gets traded.
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Hi, hope you are having a great holiday season. Mine started yesterday when I got power back. Anyway, please note, this is the ex - Piston thread. There are people who like to read this kind of stuff, even if you do not. Further, hey, I am hardly the only one making comments about ex-Pistons doing well. I sometimes do wonder why you seem to single out my posts to respond to. To help me out, either respond to other's posts on this on occasion, or just post your own opinion without quoting me. I appreciate your cooperation in advance. (Yes, I really appreciate all your time in running this forum, but please do understand that I do feel intimidated by you when you continually quote my posts.)

Now, as to why I came to post here. Despite my bit of humor, I came to mention how some ex- Pistons did. Just so happened that a few of them did quite well on this particular night, and that combined with other's comments I have read triggered me to write a negative Dumars post, using the material I came here with. I watch a ton of basketball these days, about 4 to 5 games a day. I like to share what I see. Again, thankyou for giving me, and all others interested in such things, a place for that.

Now, as for why I keep mentioning Singler. He is why we are losing games these days. As long as that is what is going on, I will keep mentioning it. You say we are powerless, but I bet if all the fans started boycotting the games and let the management know they would rather watch a winning team, hey, Singler might play less. For a less drastic tactic, how about if all the fans kept freely talking about why the Pistons are losing games, and a whole lot of them started agreeing that Singler is the problem, and the press picked up on it. It can happen. People's opinion can influence the press, and the press can influence management. Quite the argument. I would suggest a new thread be started, specifically zoning in on social media, and how it can affect franchise as well as league decisions on issues.

People come here to read about the Pistons, and examine issues concerning the Pistons. And some of them also call into the talk sports talk shows. What if eveyone calling in had the same question, just what does the coach think he achieves by playing Singler, as a sub for such very talented playerd as Monroe, Drummond, and Smith? If the questions are asked, I believe it will get back to management.
  12. roscoe36

I don't mind people posting about ex-Pistons. I'm not sure this thread is a good place to work ideological agendas in. It compromises the spirit of keeping tabs on all of the ex-Pistons around the league, and becomes about grinding an axe about Joe Dumars or how management works. Which we can do here @ PF.com, but let's do it in a "Joe Dumars sucks" thread rather than a thread which is about all of the ex-Pistons both in the NBA and out of the league.

I don't single out your posts, but they are certainly some of the more interesting and unique posts made here, and hence, you get a lot of attention for them. Sort of the cost of being famous.

On a public forum, people will reply to you.

If you disagree with someone, or someone disagrees with you, there is the opportunity to air it out here as long as it doesn't become personal attacks. That's the nature of argument/discussion. It's the essence of a healthy community to have a plurality of respectful opinion.
    Walter and linwood like this.
  13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Mostly the troops overseas.
    TaS and roscoe36 like this.
  14. BillLaimbeer

Jason Maxiel is having his worst year ever, averaging only 4 points and 2 rebounds in 16 mpg.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just watched a couple of Toronto games. In the first, Amir, when guarding him, made Dirk look like a completely average player. Vs. without Amir guarding him, Dirk often looked like the same world class player when at his best. Next game, Amir is the most plus guy on his team, while only scoring 8 points himself. Its his defense that garners these plus 20 and up games for him. PS, and of late, like the last 8 games now, Amir's points average is way up, while his shooting percentage is around 70%. His offense is certainly not hurting either.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Amir is no Walter Herrmmaann.
    linwood and basketbills like this.
  17. max

max All-Star

Why are the Bucks 6-24? Thats the worst record in the league. 30 out of 30. If their guys were as good as you think they would not be 6-24
  18. BillLaimbeer

Perhaps the Bucks have a clueless coach with an agenda against winning.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Injuries. Massive amount of injuries. But what hurts them the most is that Sanders has not played, and Sanders is their only real solid big as far as rebounding and defense. Others try to fill in until he gets back, but they are not doing the job.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

There is a huge incentive for them to tank out the season. Top 3 picks in the next draft could be the best in a decade.