Ex-Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jzchen, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Its interesting to see the effect of that team. A good number of people are here because of that team. 25 years later. After the Teal era and the Dumars decline. It's like how people of a certain generation share Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Darth Vader's light Sabre vs. Rick Mahorn's butt? Hmmmm...

Slippy likes this.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was happy that Zeke said last night that walking out on the Bulls was a poor decision that he now regrets.

4. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

maybe...he's just looking for work...and wants to look good.

5. Darth Tater

I used to think it was a bad decision. But that's the way it was. The teams hated each other. They did not respect each other. Jordan had just made a comment earlier something along the lines that the NBA would be better without a team like the pistons. People like to forget that part. And again, it is my understanding that Larry Bird and Company walked out on the pistons. Do you ever hear anything about that? If Jordan wanted respect than he should have given respect.

BallDon'tLie and Nemo like this.
  6. Nemo

nice post...

7. BillLaimbeer

You have to remember that there are millions of people watching this game, many of whom are children. What kind of lesson are these grown men teaching kids that it's okay to be a bad sport whenever you lose a game?

8. Darth Tater

Not to be phony? That you need to earn respect to get it? Im much more concerned with other things on television.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Speaking of ex -Pistons, should Gores be looking at lame duck Knick coach Mike Woodson as our next coach??? After all he was here for the last Piston championship?

brofmfa likes this.
  10. LA Dre

It is true the Celtics walked out on the Pistons in 1988 and no one said anything because the cameras didn't follow the Celtics all the way into tunnel. The camera was more focused on McHale giving Zeke the congratulatory handshake or the proverbial passing of the torch shake.

Joe Dumars actually stayed behind and shook the Bulls hands, but that has never been advised or widely acknowledged. The damage had already been done, because the badboy.com rep had already been established so the Piston walkoff which I hated for years will always be etched in the minds of those who witnessed it that night. The networks showed it over and over and if youtube had been born in those days it would have had 50 million views before the Bulls and Lakers championship face off a few days later.

I am glad Isaiah said it was the wrong thing to do, but I had heard him say it several years ago. Just wondering now if it was Laimbeer that orchestrated it like he said last night with the smirk on his face or was he just trying to protect his boy Zeke now 23 years later.

brofmfa likes this.
  11. Darth Tater

The Bad Boys left everything on the court. They won championships. THAT is what the public SHOULD remember. But they remember what they WANT to remember. If all they recall about the team is a stupid handshake custom then I say BFD and screw them. They are the petty ones. Not the Pistons. It changed nothing. It just made it easier for jealous people to point and say naughty naughty.

I was damned proud to be a fan. We all were. People need to get over it. Detractors would LOVE to think we are worried about that. They were charismatic, talented, and fearless! Remember THAT!!!!!

brofmfa likes this.
  12. BillLaimbeer

I think Laim was protecting Zeke. Laim could care less what people think of him.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I understand why people didn't like them. It doesn't look like it would have been much fun to play against them. That's why they were called the bad boys.

14. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Stop twisting my memories! :angrysoapbox:

Darth Tater likes this.
  15. Darth Tater

Now two thinks bothered me.

1. Allegedly Laimbeer told Mahorn that he wanted nothing to do with him when Mahorn phoned him shortly after the team dissolved.

2. Didn't Isaiah take a shot at lames head right at the end and Laimbeer retired right after that.

Do you guys remember when they let Vinnie Johnson go for nothing at the end? Do you want to know really why they let him go? I told Roscoe when I first came to the forum but I never told anyone else.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This was a pretty good piece discussing that.
    Bad Boys and Good Times «

17. Nemo

good passion Darth...nice write ups...

18. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm listening...

19. Darth Tater

I worked with "Ike" a name dropper during the Bad Boys era. He always boasted about hanging with Vinnie. Ike told stories like Vinnie picking up the phone calling two gorgeous girls who arrived later in nothing but furs. Ike would then be " excused".

I don't know why Vinnie was hanging with Ike a user and supplier of coke. Ike allegedly "partied" with Vinnie frequently and received great seats to every game. One day the phone rang and a guy asked for Ike. I recognized the voice immediately so Ike was telling the truth about knowing Vinnie. After the call Ike made sure I knew who I spoke with. Big deal.

Ike always told stories about Vinnie (and Lions kicker Eddie Murray) . It made him feel like a big shot. One day out of the blue he said Vinnie was worried he would get traded. No mention in the media about this rumor. I asked Ike why and he said Vinnie was boinking Rodmans wife. She was freaky deeky if you recall. Hell, one day she strutted up the aisle making eyes at yours truly. Uggh. Disgusting. At any rate Vinnie allegedly said Rodman was going nutty over it and one had to go immediately. Days later Vinnie was indeed traded for peanuts.

I believe the story. The media never said a word about it until about two years later I saw an article concerning the team and sure enough buried in it they strongly alluded to it the ordeal. I learned we don't ever really know what goes on in those locker rooms or real reasons behind trades. (e.g. Desean Jackson released in his prime).

brofmfa, coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  20. LA Dre

I recall a similar story from one of my buddies that VJ or someone was indeed involved with Mrs. Rodman and the worm was so distraught that one night they found him sitting in his pickup truck outside the arena with a shotgun ready to blow his own head off....

brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.