Expectations and acquisitions

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by J-Train, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I just don't see Drum as the next "Dwight Stoudamire".
    I think that Drummond will settle in at about 75% of D-Ho's #s for his career. (15pts, 8 reb).
    ...add some good interior defense to these numbers and I'm totally satisfied with the pick.
    KGREG likes this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We're still going to need a legit 20ppg scorer on the wing.
  3. BallDon'tLie

Joe's approach has been to put two 10-point scorers (SG. SF) out there instead.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can you say Corey Magette?
  5. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I thought he said legit?
  6. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons currently rank second in the race for Shalahalabalbaz Mohammed or whoever is going to be the no 1 pick.

2012-13 NBA Power Rankings - RealGM Articles
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I dug a bit deeper and noticed the journalist behind the rankings seem to have quite a bit of credibility too.

Here is Westbrook calling him a troll:

He's even a meme:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

So, with the rookies all signed up (with the exception of Middleton whom I don't expect to see in uniform this year), this is the salary situation (in millions):

Maggs: $10.9
    Stuck: $8.5
    BOT: $8.0
    Tay: $6.7
    Rip (counts towards the cap): $6.0
    Max: $5.0
    JJ: $4.5
    Bynum: $3.2
    Monroe: $3.2
    Daye: $2.9
    BK: $2.7
    Drummond: $2.3
    VyKra: $1.5
    Singler: $1.0
    Kimmy: $0.5

All in all our committed salary cap is: $67,252,271. (source)

The cap for next season is set at $58M and the lux tax level is at $70M. So, we are $3M short of tax territory. So, I doubt we'll be signing anybody else in FA this summer other than Big Ben to a small contract maybe. We do have $1.3M trade exception from the Gordon trade, so in theory we can do a sign and trade using that for a player around $4.5M a year and still stay under the tax. We can also use our $5M mid-level exception. In any case, barring a trade, we're done with the moves this summer.

Next year we have much more flexibility:
    • Rip's contract comes off the books.
    • Maggs, Max and Bynum are FAs.
    • Stuckey enters the last year of his contract which isn't guaranteed.
    • We can decline the qualifying offer to Daye and have him become a FA.
    So, assuming CV picks up his PO, we decide to keep Stuckey and Daye, and we exercise the team option on rookies, here's what the salary situation looks like for 2013-2014 season (expiring contracts marked with (e)):

Players under contract:
    • Stuckey (e)
    • BOT (e)
    • Prince
    • JJ
    • Monroe
    • Daye (e)
    • BK
    • Drummond
    • VyKra
    • Singler
    • English
    The salary total for that is a shade over $45.5M. Add about $4M to sign any rookies from next year's draft and we're at $49.5M. Even if the cap remains the same, we'll be about $10M under it. Plus we'll have very tradeable contracts in Stuckey, BOT and Daye, to the tune of another $21M to play with. So, in theory we can pull of trades that amount up to $30M or sign a FA outright for $10M next year.

So we have a year to see what we got before we have more flexibility than we know what to do with in years. Next summer is going to define Joe's legacy under Gores' ownership.
    The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  9. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons don't go into luxury tax territory (at least they didn't pre-Gores). The '04 team had to pay a minor luxury tax with all of the incentives paid in the championship year. This is pretty cool:

[​IMG]
    TWOTIMESRALPHI likes this.
  10. BallDon'tLie

The two big spenders = The Knicks & Mavericks.

Dallas at least has something to show for their investment.
    All the Knicks have is a team full of pieces that don't fit and a lot of disappointment.
    They need to trade Melo if they're ever gonna turn that thing around. It would be interesting to see what other teams would give them. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be as much as Melo thinks and his ego would likely never recover.
  11. BillLaimbeer

It is easy to dislike Melo. I can't believe he is on the USA Olympic team. I would rather that BOT was on the team.
  12. BallDon'tLie

The Knicks would be best served to trade the guy.
    They just might find a team dumb enough to view Melo in the same light that Melo views himself.

Carmelo Anthony is a freaking case study on the theory of "addition by subtraction". I have absolutely NO doubt that if the Knicks were to use the amnesty clause on him today, their win total for this season would increase by at least 10 games.
  13. max

max All-Star

I don't like the guy either but he is a pretty good player. Besides they lost Lin so.
  14. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Who's going there, it's sponser's (shoes's)call.
  15. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's always an interesting hypothetical to me as to whether the Pistons would have been better off drafting Anthony instead of Darko. I mean, Darko was obviously a huge bust, but the Pistons did pretty well with him riding the pine and I don't know if they would have done as well with Flab Melo on the team.
  16. BallDon'tLie

I've often pondered this subject too.
    There are so many angles to consider when posing this question...

On the Darko turned out better for us side:
    - It's likely that the Pistons wouldn't have been able to make the Sheed Wallace deal if they would have picked Melo. It's likely that Joe might not have felt the need to make a deal or the other teams involved might not have wanted to to help the Pistons add to what would have been percieved as a solid (more solid anyway) roster. Darko was viewed as a long term project who didn't pose a threat to the ballace of power. Melo actually had more clout than he has today. When Anthony came into the league, he was viewed as just slightly below LeBron. Now he's viewed as waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy below LeBron.

- It's impossible to know what Carmelo Anthony would have done to the team chemistry that ended up winning an NBA championship in 2004. Young Darko and his lack of passion for the game had absolutely no effect. Melo is such a freaking jackass that he might have actually been able to screw up one of the most well-oiled machines in recent NBA history. Even a team with strong personalities like Chauncey, Rip, Ben, etc.
    I don't underestimate Carmelo Anthony's ability to wreck a franchise at all. He's pretty much 2 for 2 with the teams that he's played on.

- I don't buy the "our vets would have made him better" argument. Playing with vets in Denver didn't work. Playing on Team USA didn't work. Playing with Amare in New York hasn't worked. Carmelo Anthony is what he is, ...a knuckehead. He will NEVER lead a team to any kind of success and will never win a ring (unless it's in a supporting role).

On the Joe shoulda picked Melo side:
    - I don't think that the Pistons would have ever won a championship if you replaced Sheed with Melo so I won't even hear that argument. Chances are, we would have looked a pretty much like the Denver Nuggets looked when they had Anthony which was basically four guys standing around while one guy ran isos each game. ...no thanks.

- I guess it's possible that Joe and his staff could have drafted Melo and traded him for a package that would have brought us additional pieces that may have prolonged our window of success. That's a hard argument to make though as it depends on Joe having the foresight of a psychic and a lot of other things lining up perfectly. That arguemnt is also based on the assumption that the Pistons would have went over the cap to sign whatever package that an Anthony deal would have netted. Given Bill Davidson's track record of financial responsibility, I don't think it would have worked out.

I know that it sounds absolutely absurd to think about but I'm gonna see if I can actually type this without laughing...

Darko Milicic was a better draft pick than Carmelo Anthony would have been in 2003.

Sure Melo's a better player. Sure Darko is one of the biggest busts in the history of sports.
    But Melo is way ahead of Darko on the "addition by subtraction" quotient.
    Get rid of Melo and your ball movement, defense, team moral and team chemistry all improve exponentially.
    Get rid of Darko and you hardly even notice that he's not there.

Whether it's via a trade or a situation where he's injured; Why is it that whenever Carmelo Anthony DOESN'T play for a team, that team improves significantly?
    round likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

There were 15 teams worse than the Knicks. That kinda makes your last point unsupported by evidence.

Melo is not a superstar. Extremely talented? Yes. Arguably one of the best pure scorers in the league.
  18. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I'd say that there woulda been a 68% chance that Melo woulda disrupted the Pistons in 2004.
    I would add that there was a 24% chance that Melo woulda became a much more team orientated player.
    Finally.........there woulda been 10% odds that Big Ben woulda strangled him out back of the Palace.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's also possible that Melo would have taken significant minutes away from Prince and our defense would have suffered (even if we somehow still acquired Sheed).

My best guess is that LB would have tried to put Melo in his rookie place and wouldn't have liked his style. There would have been more discord because Melo speaks English and would have complained actively.

It's not just Melo though, any good pick that we would have made likely would have resulted in no Sheed.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why is that? Why would a talented rookie prevent us from dealing for one of the top PFs in the league when the opportunity presented itself? My memory is hazy on this.