1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Extending the game?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Buckeyes#1, May 25, 2007.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

The last game, many of the experts were saying the Cav's coach made a mistake by running the clock down for the last shot. Their argument is they should have shot much sooner so they would have a second chance. They say he should have extended the game by shooting sooner. I totally disagree. I think it can be wise to do this in certain situations but this was not one of them. I realize it is harder to make this point when they lost. Nevertheless, I still think the coach did the right thing. I think it is wise to extend the game when your team is favored to win, you are playing at home, and you are down by one. However two things were against Cleveland. They were playing a better team and they were on the road. Cleveland should have one the last game. Lebron had a fairly easy shot and then his teammate missed a 7 foot bunny. Now if Detroit goes into Cleveland and is down by one with 20 seconds left, I say it would be wise to extend the game because they are the better team. Magic Johnson and Barkley were saying Cleveland should have extended the game to give themselves another chance should they fail. The thing I think they are overlooking however is by draining the clock and going for the win, they are not giving Detroit another chance. I think Cleveland did the right thing. They just missed both their shots. It is so easy to criticize when it does not succeed. I think Detroit is very fortunate to be up by two. Cleveland had three shots to steal one of those games but missed all three. When you have a chance to go for the win against the #1 seed team; and it's on the road where your team has a road record less than 500 for the year, I say you go for the win. Cleveland made the right choice both nights in my opinion but was just a little unlucky.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

They actually had 2 more chances after LeBron's drive...I understand what they their point is, but the Cavs had enough time for 2 offensive boards. They just missed.

3. Buckeyes#1

I am saying three chances to steal one game because they had two chances last night and then the missed three in game one.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I was specifically talking about game 2. As for both games you are absolutely correct.

5. Buckeyes#1

gotcha

6. max

max All-Star

Brown should have saved a timeout for that kind of situation.

Assuming he does not rack up a tech they would only have been down by 3 after Billups hit the free throws with about 3 sec's left. Plenty of time for shot after advancing the ball after the TO that they did not have.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agreed max.

8. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree Buck...that "extend the game" phrase came out of the mouth of several different commentators. It sounded strange to me that they would all use that same phrase for one...and also the whole theory doesn't make sense. They had every chance in the world to win ...you can't hang this on the coach..except as Max pointed out he should have had a timeout.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He's a Rick Carlisle disciple. The timeouts come fast and furious. :pound:

10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I have never been in favor of winding the clock down. It puts too much pressure on the offense.

I have always favored going with the flow. These guys got enough experience that I believe it is better for them to play by instinct and experience rather than trying to make them Einstein's on the court.

When an athlete, except for a chess player, thinks while they are in the heat of the battle it messes them up. It seems to me that waiting until the last second puts too much unnecessary mental stress into it. In other words, instead of going for the best shot, their first objective is to run the clock down and then the second objective is to make the basket. I think that this is backwards.

The game is about making baskets. That is what these guys grow up learning to do. Let them go for the shot at the first good opportunity regardless of the clock. If they make it, then they can worry about defense.

:hoops: