Fantasy 08-09 Building Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Superstarov, Apr 13, 2008.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree we need to keep Woody. It's good to have an automatic win every few weeks. :pound::pound::pound:

Actually, since Woody doesn't like homework, a keeper league would make more sense for him. You're not going to be making drastic moves in a keeper league.

I thought Darth was the Commish. He can screw things up with the best of them.

"Darth for NHL Commish - 2008"

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That's cool. I could do that.

3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'd always wanted to do one in baseball... makes decisions on who to cut and who to keep much more interesting... you also draft each year looking ahead. I would asume you need a bit larger of a rooster so you can have room for injuried players so you don't have to cut that super star who has the season ending injury. again speaking from baseball... ive seen folks keeping anywhere from 4-15 roster spots from year to year. Would be lots of fun. Only tried hockey once and even though i enjoy watching it more then a baseball game, i found the hockey league not as much fun as baseball... But it was a bad league where nobody would even other to reply to a post let alone both to reject/accept a trade offer.

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You'll find the opposite problem around here round. You'll wish that the other managers will STOP talking! :pound::pound::pound:

5. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not opposed to a keeper league. I'll play whatever.

MY problem is I can't remember who I have week to week let alone year to year. Plus the fact that all the guys I had two years ago were lousy this past year. I need a new team about once per month.

Now, if I can go back a couple of years to when I had Lidstrom, Iginla, and Brind'Amour, and Vanek was playing well, and I had Broduer and .......

Well, Whatever...

:pound::pound:

6. mikhail1973

Who needs to remember anything? Isn't this for fun first and foremost?

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I mostly play to watch Red Light, TatoHead and Sweepy bicker all season. :)

8. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A question.

If its a keeper league, and the top teams get to keep all their best players, how do the bottom feeders ever catchup?? I mean their only so many really good players and since you don't start over at draft time, the best teams will slowly get stronger and the worst teams will have no way to catch up. New teams will be at a real disadvantage.

A fresh draft of EVERYBODY each year means that even if your draft sucks one year, you get a chance to do it right the next time.

Am I missing something??? :)

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

not an expert here... but you don't get to keep all your players, and its a reverse draft in the following years... so the worst team gets the best player out there...

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've never been in a keeper, but I think it works something like you get to keep 4 players. Then if you keep extra, you lose your top draft choices. Something like that.

But you bring up a good point woody. I think somebody has to keep track and I think that somebody is the commissioner. I doubt we can get a volunteer to commish, but yeah, a keeper would be very cool.

So in a keeper, Hasek & Brodeur lose value and rookies with potential gain value. It would be new to all of us. The commissioner (NOT ME) would have their work cut out for them explaining it.

11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just browsing around the Internet, most of the keeper leagues that I saw allowed managers to keep 7 players from one year to the next.

12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice of you to volunteer Darth. :pound:

13. Darth Tater

I'd like to be the first to volunteer to join the forces planning to invade and destroy Cannuckia this summer. I think about 15 soldiers should be enough to guarantee a victory.

[sign]I hate Jammer! [/sign]

14. Darth Tater

Needed: ONE HOCKEY COMMISSIONER.

Desired qualities:

1.Intelligent

2. Able and willing to spend the time and effort necessary to make the league fun yet competitive.

3. Won't put up with nonsense, but hasn't already ticked off half the league.

IMO there are two candidates who would be ideal...if willing, that is.

15. mikhail1973

That's interesting. I could give it a try, but I have no clue what it entails. :sssh:

16. Darth Tater

That's ok Mikhail. None of us have a clue, I think.

But anyone interested should probably do a bit of research before volunteering so they don't bite of more than they can/are willing to chew. :hungry:

I'm not willing to do it myself, but if the commissioner asks for my assistance, I'll be happy to help them try to figure it all out, or help in any other way I can. :)

17. mikhail1973

I think first and foremost we have to decide whether we want to have a keeper league. Then people who may want to become a commish would have a better idea since keeper league involves more work on his part. Also, do we want to continue from the league we just completed or should we start from scratch? And we need to all agree on the stats used.

18. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I think with a keeper league, the biggest commitment is setting it up each year, and possibly tracking down someone to replace people who've dropped out. The rules will, by September, have been discussed at nausium, so there shouldn't be a ton of judgement calls.

From what I've seen the leagues are highly customizable, and you can make the number of players you keep whatever you want it to be. I've seen as low as 2 and as high as 10.

I'm not voulenteering, because I've already ticked off half the league. And, aside from that, I am away from home 10+ hours a day, and I think my wife would prefer I spend my home time with her and my son, and not screwing with something on the computer.

But, I'm down with a keeper league, and ticking off the rest of the people in the league by doing well.

19. mikhail1973

Do we stick with 10 teams?
    I guess we can start working on the list of possible managers at this point. Who will join the keeper league?
    I guess Superstarov is on board, and you can count me in.

20. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I think the stats will work themselves out, as we've been discussing them.

And I think, personally, we should start rosters from scratch, because drafting for a keeper league is a different strategy.

If we go with a normal head-to-head league, I'd voulenteer as commish, because it doesn't really demand too much time. You just have to check your email a few times a day.