Fantasy Basketball GM types

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Slippy, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Looking at the teams and the GM's drafting tendencies over past few seasons I've come up with a few archetypes. I'm sure there are more so jump in. Any similarities to any living person or Advanced league GM, is purely coincidental.

The Gambler:
    You swing for the fences. The Cambys, the Davises, the Tinsleys of the league don't scare you off...in fact, you can't resist. You know you're getting value but its the lure of a big payday that makes you click on these guys' names. Your team looks awesome on paper but somehow, by mid season, you're limping along and hoping for a recovery so the league can once again taste the fury of your fully stacked team.

The Zookeeper
    You keep a stable of your favourite pet players. You take them a little high but it makes the season that much more fun. Your draft choices make other GM's say "Bold Move" in public and lick their chops in private. However, you're just putting your money where your mouth is and you're confident that your guy is going to outperform his projections.

The BPA picker.
    You end up with 5 Shooting Guards. How did that happen? You're just rolling with the draft; not reaching to fill any position. Yet somehow, the cookie crumbled in a queer direction. You need to take you team and work out a trade with the guy who drafted 5 Forwards. Your players generally don't bust but its a hell of a time managing them through the season.

The Tactician
    You are loyal to no-one. A cold blooded GM with ice in his veins. All redundancies aside, your team make other GM's soil their pants and invest in Depends stock. Its injury resistant and mixes undervalued sleepers with proven starters. I know you're thinking this is where you belong but chances are you're really supposed to be somewhere else.

The Prophet
    The amount of sleepers on your team would make a narcoleptic seem like an insomniac on speed. Your team will break out someday. No really. They will.

The Sith Lord
    You wear a silly little helmet and you're seemingly the target of 4-5 other GM's...all have some sort of bone to pick with you. Your draft strategy is to grab a Point guard and then cry Uncle by round 5. Somehow your corrupted jedi mind powers allow you to come out ahead in the end as other GM's mysteriously fall off the radar in the final weeks of the playoffs. Anyone in particular? Nah, its just a hasty generalization.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Sloopy, you are such a loser. :MusicBigGrin: Funny stuff, though.:pound:

Obviously, you had me in mind when describing the tactician. :)

OK, maybe not...

Anyhow, you forgot our favorite **sarcasm** GM. "The rip off". Yes, we have another name for it, but it's a bit off color. You know, the GM that has a decent team, but figures to take advantage of some poor slob GM who accidentally clicks the accept button...or is dumb enough to accept the trade.
  3. Slippy

I would have used a more 'kobe-esque' term but yeah the guy that offers two hurt guys for your franchise player. :hoops:
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As the first 5 players I drafted all were guards (4 of them SG's), I guess that's my type of fantasy GM
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I feel like all of those GMs from time to time so I guess I have split personality disorder when it comes to fantasy basketball. :)
  6. Darth Tater

Oh yeah,

and don't forget the "Roscoetarian" GM. That's the GM who has drafted a solid team and made some good free agent pick ups but then suddenly gets some hair brained idea to trade them away for once upon a long time ago studs in wheel chairs that he thinks will have miraculous recoveries because of a dream he had last night.:pound:
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

roscoetarian. I like that. :)
  8. Darth Tater

As Sloopy said, "Any similarities to any living person, Advanced league GM or forum owner, is purely coincidental."
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i thought darth was 'the abandoner' :O

;)
  11. Darth Tater

That's one tough pup. Best not mess with him, Cannuckian.:gun1:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, here's another type of GM. I guess I'd call him the "Draft room expert". This is the guy, who appears under different names, but he is there every time I draft.

He always has sage advice for me...and others. "Oh, it's way too early to draft a (fill in players name or a position)" . Or "ha ha ha...I can't believe you..."

I want to say..."Who the &^%## are you to tell me how to build MY team. Take a look at my trophy shelf you stupid &^^$#$$@ and then look at your empty one." :pound:

I mean, if I want draft advice, there are a couple of people I'll ask. They know who they are.
  12. Slippy

Next year, I'm going to try to play the Roscoetarian style of Draft-fu. As long as i don't trade, I'll be golden.
  13. max

max All-Star

If you can't figure out where you fit, there is another category. The Bad Draft category.
  14. Darth Tater

You won't be able to help yourself. The Roscoetarian GM's strengths are also his weaknesses.

Live by the intuition...die by the intuition.