1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Fantasy Football 2013: Season discussions and trash talk

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Mossberg, Sep 6, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just feel people should only use veto power if something abusive is going on. Otherwise, people are discouraged from trading.

You can look at and argue trades from all sorts of angles. The official Yahoo Trade Evaluator actually gave Mikhail +30 on its projections and Junior a -30.

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Nightmare first half for me.

Mccoy with only a couple points and now possibly seriously injured.
    D . jax not even getting one throw.
    They even blew a two point conversion so my field goal kicker couldn't even kick an extra point.

Then the Eagles dropping fair catches and throwing interceptions.

EXTREMELY fortunate to be down 16-6. Should be 28-6 at least.

Arrggghhh! They suck. Lol.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Again, it's only 2 weeks in. The trade evaluator uses data from the current season. You yourself have implied the Yahoo evaluator is BS.

C'mon. You said this is supposed to be a fun league.

Thanks for taking over as commish for webz this season, but what was up with changing the settings we have used for years? 1PPR and extra WTR? Rather odd Junior drafted no TE, K, or defense. Then you defend his bad trade offers, threatening to take over veto privileges?

C'mon. A lot of us have played fantasy for fun here for years...we're not stupid.

Remember TPG 2009? I'll never forget it

4. Darth Tater

Really, somebody take the high road, already. It's already bad enough.

If I can do it, then ANYONE can. :)

5. Darth Tater

I figured the eagles would score a lot so I passed on the chiefs defense. Wrong. 22 points! oh well this week is one for renovations.

On the other hand, I think maybe I made a smart move shooting my number two waiver on Levean Bell. A potential stud ex Spartan running back who may even be back for week 4. I was going to reach for him in the draft but he got hurt so I'm happy he fell into my lap. Perfect timing. Hopefully he works out well.

6. junior

junior Bench Warmer 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Junior Here.

I would like to express my reasoning and opinion on the topic of the vetoed trade. I apologize in advance for my exhaustive writing and lack of brevity.

First of all, this is my seventh year playing Fantasy Football. I have a great understanding of this game.

I surely enjoy playing Fantasy Sports with everyone in this Forum and would never purposefully collude or be malicious in anyway towards a manager.

The main point I wish to make is that in being a manager of a Fantasy team you take upon the responsibility to make decisions and do what you feel is best for your team. As for those individuals who still hold grudges over previous trades in Fantasy leagues, we all need to move on at some point in our lives. When both managers agree to a trade, they both feel it benefits their team in some way. If not, they either do not know what they are doing or they should not accept the trade. It is that simple. We do not owe it to other managers to make up for their inability to see trades as beneficial. It is not up to us to decide what another individual does with his or her team. It is up to that manager. That is the beauty of Fantasy Sports. When we lose independence, why do we continue to play the games? It is supposed to be a fun environment where we can all take chances and be given opportunity to make mistakes.

None of us can predict the future. Nobody knows if Peyton Manning could get hurt this week and be out for the season, benefiting the manager who just traded him away. We have to allow for room to grow and develop. This leads to another issue. I have done extensive research (feel free to PM if you are interested in learning about what I do), and this has shown me how to get the most out of a league. There are 32 Quarterbacks that start each week for a NFL team. In an 8 team league, if we continued with our previous rules, we would only be starting 25% of the QBs in the league. Players like Matthew Stafford, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson would stay on benches for the entire season except bye weeks. 2 QB leagues are vastly superior in representing the entirety of Fantasy Football. Additionally, to add a PPR component gives rise to many great players that would not be utilized in standard leagues. Our very own Reggie Bush is an extremely value asset in this format. To add other positions only makes sense as we have dropped the number of teams in our league from 14 to 10 to 8 the past three years respectively. All scoring and format issues should make sense to all members of the league and I would be happy to address any questions regarding that, as I fully support all of the changes made this year.

As to address my draft strategy this year, that is one of intrigue! It is a big risk taken by a manager not to draft a TE, K, or DEF. However, I knew exactly what I was doing. In waiting until days before the season started, I was able to pick up the best possible RBs and WRs and avoid the injury bug as long as possible in training camp. Getting the 9th best TE is exactly the same as getting the 5th best TE. Unless you have Graham, nobody has any idea what they are getting with their TE week in and week out. K and DEF are awesome because nobody has any clue who will end up being at the top at the end of the season. It just goes to show that you do not have to invest a high pick in the draft for either of these positions (with the exception of Seattle who is awesome!). Of course there are exceptions, I just focused on other positions during my pre-draft analysis and this allowed me to do follow up research on TE, K, and DEF after the draft had concluded in the weeks before our season started. This was not a mistake I made. This was a carefully planned decision.

To address the issue on hand: why do this trade?

As we speak of Y! Fantasy Predictors, if you have ever paid close attention to these predictions you should know that literally every day they change. Additionally, they have a great deal of inaccuracy in comparison to other site weekly and season predictions for Fantasy Football. Therefore, the "predictions" should be taken as a hard science based of the relativity and inconsistency.

The trade was Kaepernick QB, Welker WR, and Jennings WR for Romo QB, Spiller RB, and Bernard RB.

If any of the managers took the chance to check out the teams involved in this trade before they vetoed, they would know that my team "Junior's Jets" has a surplus of WRs and Mikhail's team had a surplus of RBs in causation from his autodrafting. The main point we should look to make here is that the players in the trade are even and of similar caliber. Kaepernick and Romo are similar caliber QBs. Kaep has more upside; Romo is a safer choice. In a PPR league, Wes Welker is a huge commodity as seen in his first week performance as a Bronco scoring roughly 26 fantasy points and being arguably the best QB in the league's favorite target in the redzone and of the past three seasons was the most likely player to receive over 100 receptions (exception of Calvin). In turn, one may say that C.J. Spiller is on another level than Welker. He was definitely drafted a great deal higher and was a bigger investment. However, from a brief glance managers may not realize that Spiller is not receiving the bulk of the workload in Buffalo. It's actually a timeshare between him and Fred Jackson, with Jackson receiving goal line carries (bigger/strong/more durable back). Spiller is ranked the 109th player so far this season. When a team has depth at RB like Mikhail has with Lynch, MJD, Ridley, Spiller, Monte Ball, and Bernard, one can afford to move a running back to balance out their team. As a manager earlier suggested and rightly so, running back is an important position this year in Fantasy. However, if you sacrifice other positions especially QB in a 2QB league; you lose out on a lot of potential points. Therefore, receiving Wes Welker 193 projected points for the rest of the season for Spiller's 199 points is basically a wash. In the expectation of receiving more points from Kaep at QB over Romo, those points can and should be made up (as Y! proj predicts). Finally, Jennings for Bernard is an utter wash. 134 for Jennings and 129 for Bernard. Jennings was good in the past and could be good. Bernard has potential but does not have the playing time currently. Both are Risk/Reward picks.

Summary:
    Kaep and Romo --> similar QBs
    Welker and Spiller --> similar risk/reward picks
    Jennings and Bernard --> similar point proj. --> add ins for the trade.

Mikhail could use improvement in QB and WR. I could use improvement in my RB depth. Both managers received players that helped them improve their teams and gave up players of similar caliber in our current league format.

Conclusions:
    We are doing Fantasy Sports to have fun. So let's have fun. As managers, we should be given the opportunity to take risks and make mistakes. That's the beauty of this game. I am in it to win it. But, in the end I just want to enjoy what I am doing and see the Lions win every Sunday. Let's make that possible.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I never look to disrespect anyone in the Forum or League and I ask that you do the same for me. Again, I apologize for the depth of my post. I just wish to share my passion and it's hard to stop when you get going sometimes. Best wishes to everyone in the League.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    roscoe36, mikhail1973 and coynejeremy like this.
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Trade vetoing has been a persistent issue in many leagues since PF.com started. Some guys carry grudges season to season (totally unproductive), and suspect all sorts of insider dealing, and frankly, don't have a lot of respect for other guys in leagues. Likewise, a lot of guys are also terrible at fantasy sports trading. Like me, I have never, or almost never had a trade help me.

Please think about how hard you want to push bad trades, or vetoing bad trades because the stakes are high for everyone who likes to play fantasy sports year over year (for 8 years now) on PF.com.

Also, any commishs who read this, in the future, turn off veto voting. If people don't like the trades, they can drop from your leagues mid-season and stop being able to play fantasy the following season because no one wants a quitter in their league. Alternatively, we can institute a rule where every veto vote has to be made on the forum with a full post detailing all of the reasoning behind the veto. Failure to get enough explanations from individual team owners means the trade goes through.

Lots of ways to cook this bird, enforce accountability and take stress off the guys who step up (for no reward, and little respect) each year to commish our leagues in the first place.

Also, if you disagree or don't like my post, send a detailed email with your complaint to trashcan@pistonsforum.com so I can get it filed and processed in our customer service system ASAP.

Also, if you don't like how your league is run, step up next year and run the league yourself. We're always short commissioners.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
    coynejeremy likes this.
  8. roscoe36

Also I am super ticked you guys veto'd Mikhail's trade. I don't even know what the trade was, but that guy has invested hundreds of hours of his life into this forum developing content for people to read and respond to, and you guys poop all over his chance to have a little fun with his fantasy team.

mikhail1973, coynejeremy and Nemo like this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Junior is really smart. Must take after his mother.............

coynejeremy and BillLaimbeer like this.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Isn't Jr. about 29 now. Maybe he should see the movie "Failure to Launch". I haven't seen it but the topic is dead on.
    Trades are covert collusion
    Grudges - check
    In previous years some of Jr. trades were desperate to say the least.
    TE is a tough choice, to get the best one I gave up a very good RB or WR. But we now see 2 or 3 surfacing with great potential but you need to be on top of it as they are added fast.
    If a trade is vetoed just keep reinserting it til everyone is bored.
    We don't have to help anyone.
    Cutler and Larry Fitzgerald for Tom Brady and Heward Bey: Brady and Heyward Bey are slow starters with big time late season strength. Fitzgerald has a hammy. But could be huge in 2 weeks.
    And its all fun !

Mogilny likes this.
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, Junior is all grown up! Nice post! You should be posting on here more often.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Alright, which one of you slime vetoed our trade ?!

13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

LOL! Was it me or Thee who was protected?

14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Oh snap!

15. roscoe36

Et tu Brute?

coynejeremy likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Just keep reinserting it til everyone is bored.

Nemo likes this.
  17. Darth Tater

I thought that you were making a bad joke. It obviously wasn't you, me , Detteam, or mogilny.

it was someone not in line with the right to veto, not including Mogilny. That leaves Laimbeer, junior, Mikhail and Mossberg. In sure my hunch as to which one that behavior is below is correct.

That trade couldn't have been more even.

Juvenile, vindictive, and malicious. Grow up people .

18. BillLaimbeer

With Fitzgerald injured, that trade is more lopsided than the first one that was vetoed.

19. Darth Tater

Why aren't you demanding immediate accountability and justice like you did for the trade involving your son?

20. BillLaimbeer

I think the burden of proof should be on the people making the trade. The vetoers did what was within the authority the league provided them.

coynejeremy likes this.