Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Hey, does anyone out there play fantasy football? I would appreciate some advice.

Background:I'm in a ten (10) player league and I drafted ninth (9). So basically I got the the ninth, twelfth, twenty ninth, thirty second picks, etc... (or something like that).

The league uses 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR/TE, 1K, 1Def.

My Qb's are T.Green & Griese

RB: K.Jones, J.Jones, Cadillac Williams, and W.Dunn (but on Sunday, I quickly grabbed and added free agent Willie Parker (who ran wild and was the number one back that week). So basically I have VERY good running backs (no matter what haters like Micro think about K.J.) :p

WR: M.Clayton, Housmandazwhatever, Randell el, J. Witten, Lee Evans, and Chris Chambers

Kicker: Vanderjagt

Defense: Tampa Bay and Atlanta.

Question: Should I offer Willie Parker for either Tom Brady or possibly Jake Delhomme at QB?

I'm probably weakest at receiver, but I think I want another QB.

The guy who has Tom Brady also has Peyton & Eli Manning at QB. But he is very weak at running back, IMO (Suggs, A.Green, C.Brown).

I think Pitt is going to keep playing Parker and it may be tough for Bettis and the other rb to get back in there when they get healthy. So Parker could be a stud or he may end up sitting.

So do I stockpile RB's (they are hot commodities as the season progresses) and keep Parker or try to trade him. Is it a fair deal to both sides to ask for Brady (or Delhomme). Am I asking too much or too little? Any feedback would be helpful.
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Darth

Hey Darth,

I have played fantasy football for many years and have won the league or came in second place every year. Injuries are the root of all evil!!!! From what you have stated about your team you have a good crop of RB's. You should keep them at all cost. RB's are the hardest position to fill and you must protect yourself from injuries and bye weeks.

As far as the QB goes it depends on what type of point system is being used. In the league I play in the QB could be a bum as long as he passes for over 200 yards a game. If you were to trade a running back I would trade Parker. With Staley getting healthy soon Parkers touches could diminish. If your trading for a QB you trade for Brady. He is good with the ball as far as not creating alot of turnovers and puts up better than average numbers.
  3. Darth Tater

Thanks for your input winless.

Yeah, that's why I'm reluctant to trade him. In our league you do need a good quarterback ,though, and I don't trust Griese long termif Green goes down. I definitely want Brady but would settle for Delhomme, maybe. But it sounds like you think the guy would go for it if offered? I'm thinking the same thing as you...he may be benched later as a backup so I would trade him while his value was high. But I also don't want to worry about rb's getting injured.

I won the league last year (as a rookie) because I had good running backs and made some great free agent pick ups during the season. I'm hoping to repeat. I'm definitely hooked.
  4. Winless Wonders

Griese is inconsistent. Tampa is not much of an offensive team anyway. Watching them play football is like watching paint dry. So I would be wary staying with him as a back up. You only have a 10 team league so what type of free agent QB's are available? Is Kurt Warner or Tim Rattay available? Kurt is going to have a very good year with Boldin and Fitzgerald to throw to and Denny Green's offenses always put up good numbers. Rattay is also an interesting play as well as a back up. He has some good WR's to throw to and has to play well or risk losing his job to Alex Smith.
  5. Darth Tater

Warner is gone. I had a chance at Bledsoe but hesitated too long. Rattay is available. I actually had him as a free agent last year, but he got injured so I never used him. I was thinking about him this year, though, even before game one. I don't want Ramsey. I'm reluctant to use a roster spot for Rattay though unless someone gets injured and there spot opens. That's why I was going to try to trade for a QB and get a better one. I don't want to cut a receiver for Rattay.
  6. Winless Wonders

Another thing that I just noticed about your squad. You have too many guy's from Tampa Bay. You are going to be in trouble when there bye week comes.You have like 3 players and there defense. I would try to package Parker/ Griese for Brady and another WR.
  7. Darth Tater

Yeah, lol, and I don't even like Tampa Bay. Last year I had 3 Chargers (Tomlinson, Gates, and Reche Caldwell). I noticed all the Tampa stuff after the draft. But I have a solid Atlanta defense to cover for Tampa. Griese is just my backup anyhow. So really only Clayton not playing may affect me. After the late night draft, the next morning, the first thing I literally thought when I woke up was "omg...did I really take Griese over Brees and Delhomme"??? If Trent Green stays healthy I guess it won't matter in the least.

I like that last trade you proposed...you think the guy would bite on that?
  8. Winless Wonders

Yeah I would propose the trade of Griese and Parker for Brady and a WR.
    He should go for it if he really wants a quality running back and depending on what WR you want to trade for. As long as you don't ask for a top rated WR he should like the trade. You never know though. Some guy's want the world in a trade and want to give up nothing in return. If he doesn't bite you can always move on and try to shop Parker to another owner. They key is to get something for him while his value is hot.
  9. Darth Tater

That sounds right to me.

He has M.Harrison (out of the question, of course)

He also has Buress, Heap, Fitzgerald, B.Edwards,and patten.

I don't want Patten or Heap.

Fitzgerald , Edwards, or Buress would be nice. What do you think?
  10. Winless Wonders

I would go for Fitzgerald first. He is going to have a break out year with
    Warner throwing to him. If that did not work out then I would go for
    Edwards. He has not done anything really yet so his value is really low.

The only thing that concerns me about Edwards is Trent Dilfer throwing him the ball. Also who was that Fredrick guy who caught 8 passes for 168 yards last week for the Browns? Never heard of the guy could he perhaps be benifiting from double coverage on Edwards? You might want to keep a eye on him hte next couple of weeks to see what his production looks like.
  11. Darth Tater

Yeah, I'll definitely watch Frederick. Thanks for the tip. There was also some T.E. on Tampa who Griese kept hitting named A.Smith.

I'm thinking this guy won't bite on Fitz or Buress after last week. I think maybe he will give me Edwards, if anyone, since he had an off week.

Actually, I don't even think he will trade Brady. But I'll email him and offer Parker and Griese for Brady and any receiver other than Heap or Patten. (That guy has Gates too, I think I missed that).

This is so funny because I can't stand U of M, and Brady, Griese, and Edwards are all from U of M. lol
  12. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

check out my team

QB Trent Green
    RB LT
    Rudi Johnson
    WR Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Ashley Lelie
    TE Chris Cooley
    K J. Hanson
    D WAS

BENCH
    QB M. Hasselbeck
    A. Brooks
    RB L. Jordan (7th round steal!)
    D. Staley
    WR Ke. Johnson
    WR Troy Williamson
  13. Darth Tater

Very nice team.

Is it a 10 player league? I can't imagine you got those guys in a 12 player league. Did you get the number one overall pick or did you take LT with the number 2 after someone else took Manning? I personally was going to take Tomlinson if given the choice.

Green had a disappointing day (luckily I won anyhow), but he should do much better this week. I couldn't decide between Green and Bulger when I drafted, but I figured go with Green based on reliability. Tomlinson did ok week one, but with Gates back he should do great.

I'm not big on Hasselbeck. I wasted a number two on him last year.

I'd dump Hansen...in fact I did even before his injury. (He was my 17th & last choice)
  14. #1Pistonfan

darth tater

Yup 10 teams....

I had the number 2 pick and took LT, I would have taken him with the 1st pick though.

Yeah all my QBs didnt have much to offer on week 1, I want to upgrade my receiving core by trading Rudi and Hasselbeck for a top wideout, but nobody will bite.
  15. Darth Tater

I wouldn't let go of Rudi. You don't want to be thin in the RB column, and Rudi is reliable. You don't really have anyone to replace him with and you already have pretty decent receivers. Don't go for flash. IMO no position is more important than RB. Nobody is going to give you Owens or Moss for Johnson anyhow, so hang on to him.
  16. #1Pistonfan

DarthTater

I didnt really want to, but it seems like this league favors receivers more, giving a point per reception. And since I have L. Jordan, I thought it would be a good idea. I dont really like my receivers except for Johnson and he has Carr throwing to him so I cant expect a huge year from him. But I do like the Fitz pickup, I think I got him in the 6th round.

But this is my first fantasy league so I'm kinda new to this.
  17. Darth Tater

My league only gives a half point per reception. Still, each week check out the available players list. You can have them list each player by position, fantasy points scored to date, points last year, etc. (Are you on a yahoo league)? I picked up really good receivers that way last year (Antonio Gates, Michael Clayton, Lee Evans) and I won my league as a rookie.

The teams that started out hot ended up doing poorly later because injured running backs are much harder to replace than injured receivers. People were knocking at my door for running backs late last year and I expect the same this year. heck, I even made the mistake of drafting Kevan Barlow (a huge bust last year) and people were asking for him they needed backs so bad. The Carolina back and Pittsburgh back did well this week. I'd grab one of them if still available.

Dump that kicker though. Hanson is the best, maybe, but over the years his fantasy value was low because he doesn't score much due to the Lions historically poor play. With the injury he isn't worth anything. Kickers are easy to find.

Just my opinions. I'm no expert. You gotta make your own decisions (i.e. don't get mad at me if Rudi Johnson gets hurt or something).
  18. Winless Wonders

#1 Pistonsfan

Your WR's are not bad. I would dump Williamson though. I thought he was going to be the man but the Vikings are dumb. They have him returning freaking kicks. They are going to get him killed. So I dumped him.

Koren Robinson looks like he may catch on with the Vikings so watch for him to light it up and become a major impact to the Vikings offense. You might want to think about stashing him on your bench now before he gets going.
  19. Darth Tater

I just read a hot off the press update on Hanson on the Yahoo fantasy page.

The Lions checked out two kickers, but are waiting to see how Hanson is doing before signing one. They said Hanson has a great history kicking well against the bears so you may want to consider that.
  20. Darth Tater

What do you guys think about Jermaine Wiggins (T.E. on the vikes). I dumped him to pick up Parker on Sunday.

Maybe I should dump J.Witten another post draft pickup and get Wiggens back? Witten doesn't look like he is going to get much this year.

Winless: I proposed the Brady trade to that guy. Fingers crossed. I didn't include the Griese for a receiver part..I would have liked to do it, but I didn't want to push it. I doubt he will even do the part I did offer.