Fantasy sports...beginners guide

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yes, I know I posted this in the wrong forum. I did it intentionally so that it would get maximum exposure. Hopefully, the mods will let it stay here for a few days.

My goal here is to get some new people interested in our fantasy leagues. Our NOVICE basketball league in particular.

If you guys are anything like I was a couple years ago, you are reluctant/scared to try because you know nothing about how it works.

So I want to give you the basics here. No strategies or anything like that. Just the process in a typical Yahoo forum league.

So here is how it works...

First you have a Commissioner who forms the league. He basically decides the settings...like how many managers can be in the league and what categories will be used.

He sends you an invite and you go to Yahoo sports and plug in the password and join the league. You name your team and that's it.

Then you have a live draft in which you pick players to put on your team. A draft order is done randomly by Yahoo. Yahoo lists every player in the league in order of how good they are for fantasy purposes.

So this year, Kobe is #3. So if you have the 3rd pick you can take Kobe if he is still there. Or, you can pick Nowitzki who is 5th because you despise Kobe. It's up to you.

If you can't make the draft, the computer will pick guys for you and believe me the computer can build a better team than any of us generally can. But say you can't be there and don't want Kobe. You have access to the list prior to the draft and put Kobe on your exclude list so you won't get him. Only one person in a league can get any given player. Usually you have about 16 players on your team.

The draft order snakes so if you are in a ten player league and get the 4th pick, you will also get the 16th pick. If you get the tenth pick you also get #11. If you get the first pick you also get #20.

Ok, so in basketball you will need guards, forwards, and centers. Obviously, your point guards will help you in the assists category while your centers get you blocks and rebounds. There are about nine categories that you will try to win against your opponent. If you win 6 of 9 categories your record is 6-3 that week.

You play a different manager head to head in your league every week. The weeks begin on Monday and end after Sunday. So you set your lineup before the games begin that day or weeks in advance. Totally up to you.

So let's say Kobe gets 24 points, 4 boards, 3 assists, etc. You get credit for all of that. At the end of the week all your players totals are added up and you compare your totals to your opponents in any given category.

You'll also have bench players. So if a guy doesn't play that day you bench him. If you bench a guy who is playing that day (because you already have his position filled for that day, you won't get points for his efforts.

There is also a free agent list. So let's say Yao Ming goes down for the year or Darko starts to stink up the place. You can dump him and replace him with the guy who takes his place of the free agent list or with anyone else you want that is not owned

That, in a nutshell, is what you do.Please realize that people are very helpful and don't worry about your record. Really, you will be surprised at how well you can do as a rookie. You can put in as much or as little time as you choose.

So if you're interested the Novice fantasy Basketball league (run by Roscoe) it still has a few openings. Please give it a whirl. Everyone who is a forum member (new or old) is welcome to join.

I tried to be really basic, but if I missed something or didn't explain it adaquately, let me know. Feel free to ask here or send me a PM if you prefer.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

he forgot to mention.... you get to make fun of jammer and others on a regular basis, even if you go 0-200, if you enjoy banter and just all around good times you will have a fun time.
  3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Don't get him wrong: all this Fantasy League idea is in his mind to make fun of jammer. Rest is irrelevant.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Thanks for the tips Tater!

This is my first go-around with being a fantasy [STRIKE]geek[/STRIKE] league member.

This sounds like a fun thing and a good reason to pay attention to trivial nonsense like: 'How many assists Beno Udrih had on a given night.'
  5. Darth Tater

It definitely keeps you abreast of what's happening on other teams. (Hey, don't knock Beno. I grabbed him as a free agent last year and he really helped me out...with his assists):MusicBigGrin::MusicBigGrin:
  6. Darth Tater

Fantasy? I dun need no stinkin' fantasy to make fun of Jammmer...:wedgie:
  7. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Where's the league? Got a link or league name?
  8. Darth Tater

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hey, what's going on here? You recruiting new members into the Jammer is a Hoser Club again Tater? :gun1::gun1::gun1:
  10. Darth Tater

The response has been overwhelming. We will need to get a larger headquarters. (No offense intended to Roscoe's rinky dink operation)
  11. Darth Tater

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Darth, I think it was very kind and thoughtful of you to create a thread teaching people how to play like a beginner.
  13. Darth Tater

Bill, don't make me talk about your baseball team...or hockey team...or football team...or your basketball team to be...:pound::pound::pound: