FA's History/Discussion/Future

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by round, Dec 30, 2011.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Folks have been talking about Joe needing to bring in this FA X to fix the team.

I did a little looking and by no means did a complete look, but from what I can remember the Bad Boys had zero free agents on it. (I know different time, different model for the league). The 04 Team had one I think as Billiups was the only FA on the team, and he wasn't a highly chased after FA.

So on the championship teams we have all of 1 FA that was an important piece to the puzzle, during out down times have we ever gotten a Stud to come to Detroit?

With this track record of bringing in quality FA's what makes folks think anything different is going to happen going forward? I'd love to see a Howard, or any other All Star say... I'm going to go to Detroit. As I see it though, you don't get stars from FA's.... you get them thru trades or drafts...

So Cap space is a wasted thing to even try to get IMO, we need to spend as much on contracts as the owner see's fit. Do this however without overpaying so you can always trade the player. Trade pieces that we don't want for other pieces that might fit... never trade for cap space, because its never going to be used to bring a stud in...
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

When this team turns this around within the next few years (hopefully - and we should with Knight, Monroe, JJ and stars we should be able to pluck from the draft in 2012 and 2013) - right when we're on the cusp of rejoining the elite teams in the league, having been solidly coached and developed - that's when free agents will look to join us.

Joe D is highly respected. Gores is doing all the right things to create this franchise as treating players in a first class manner. So, when we're ready to win, we'll be attractive to FA's.

Not until then though.

The hardest thing until then will be staying patient and listening to us fans whine and pretend we know that Joe has a lousy plan and doesn't understand the game. We heard all this before - when he first took over the Pistons, we had to endure unbelievable whining from fans and writers alike. I remember one article praising the great Michael Jordon as a G.M. and trashing Joe by saying he was lazy and overmatched as a G.M. The next thing anyone knew, Joe had us be a championship team and contender for almost a full decade: out of the worst group of untalented players on horrible contracts that I've ever seen.

Now he gets to do it again. And the whining and rending of clothes and nashing of teeth will be something we'll all get to experience for the next couple of years until it's obvious that our skilled and professional basketball front office actually always really did understand the league and their jobs.
    S.J. likes this.
  3. max

max All-Star

Rebuilding through FA's is so hyped. People complain about the Lakers and yet what superstars have they signed since Shaq back in the 1995? Kobe and Bynum were draft picks. Gasol was through a trade. They get their fair share of mid-level guys but so did we - CB, Davis.

Bulls rebuilt through the draft - took them awhile but the right guys finally fell in place. Only major sign there is Boozer.

Dallas - drafted well and mid-level guys.

San Antonio - ditto.

Miami really is the exception not the norm. Teams that succeed are the ones that draft well, trade well, and use whatever money they have left wisely.
  4. round

I'm not saying I don't trust Joe, while my faith has slipped a little... I still think he's doing a good job. I am just saying to all the folks calling for us to bring in this great FA X, its not likely to happen, and like max said... it just doesn't happen as much as folks seem to think.

Lots of value given contracts that you can use as pieces in deals is how were going to get better, but IMO we don't do those trades this year... wait till after the next draft (and hope its a top 3 pick) then you start to trade to fill in the holes of the team going forward. NOBODY is ever not on the trade list... unless your Jordon.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

If you look at the population of the 200 most recent GM:s in the NBA, the NFL, the NHL and the MLB (with ~120 teams in that should be pretty current) and approximate the chances of them coming in and during the first years gets almost every move right by sheer luck to such a small number as 0.5% then probability theory says one guy in this population is bound to do so. I have my suspicions who that guy is.
  6. round

And even your right and Dumars is all luck and no skill, it doesn't change the fact that besides Shaq to the lakers and a few other instances.... teams don't improve greatly from FA's...

That is my intent here, to ask where all these examples of GM's doing wonders building there teams thru FA's. Folks love to talk a great game, but its alot easier to make trades and buy FA's as a fan then as the actual guy. We don't know what Joe does 99 plus percent of the time, it takes two to trade... if nobody is willing to trade you don't make trades, if free agents do the norm and resign with there old team, Joe will only be upping the price the orginal team is paying to keep there own players.

We don't know what the plan is, but I highly doubt he is as clueless about what he wants to do going forward and most of you want me to believe. Gore is no fool, and while he doesn't know the NBA league yet... I'm sure he isn't going to pump money into something that doesn't have a "plan" laid out... the plan may fail... if it was easy to do 30 teams would win titles every year....