favorite Lions moments

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Buckeyes#1, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

2. Buckeyes#1

Back when I was a loyal fan, LOL, There were a couple of years when I lived in Georgia, where I worked on the Wednesday before thanksgiving, then I would drive most of the night up to Detroit taking one of my boys to see a Lions game. That was awesome to see the look on my son's face (who is a fanatical Lions fan) when he actually saw the Lions in person for the first time. I remember the first time, he really wanted to say hi to Barry. So late in the fourth quarter when many of the fans had already left, my son and I move down right behind the Lions bench. My son yelled to Barry but he would not turn around cause if he did, he would be turning around every 5 seconds. Kevin Glover was sitting right next to Barry on the bench so my son yelled out to Glover. Glover turned around cause nobody ever calls his name. And as soon as Glover turned around to look at my son, my son yelled, get Barry for me. :pound::pound:Glover and Barry both got a chuckle out of that one. ​

My other favorite moment was the following year, when we went to the famous coin toss game. :gun1:

It's alright. Right now I will take a win anyway that I can get one. ​
  3. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

1969 I think...Bobby Williams returns a kickoff for a TD against the Vikings on Thanksgiving Day. A snowy Tiger Stadium kind of day. Old fashioned football.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, I think that just about wraps it up. Thanks for the memories.
  5. Buckeyes#1

LOL!:pound::pound::pound::pound:

Actually, I shouldn't find this to be funny. I should be crying right now as I have been doing for just about the whole last 40 years. But that was a good one TaShawn!
  6. Buckeyes#1

Remember that playoff game back in 83 when dependable Eddie Murray missed a last second field goal that would have won the game. I was on a bus with a bunch of high school kids listening to it on the radio near Allen Park. About 10 minutes later we drove past a house that was on fire and a kid yelled out, hey there's Eddie Murray's house!

It's kind of sad when one of your few favorite memories is in laughing at the failure of the team that you love, just trying to cope. :yellowprison:
  7. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

My favorite memory is the day that the Ford family decided to sell the team to that passionately excited owner who had big plans for the Lions.

...oh.

...ummm, uhhhhh, ....that hasn't happened yet? ..nevermind.

...Eric Hipple anyone? Scout.com: Column: The Night of the Hipple
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

My favorite Lions memory was a Monday Night Football game at the Silverdome where a fan held up a "Howard Sucks" sign to acknowledge Howard Cosell. The cameras caught it and the mouth that roared went silent in the booth.

Also, I went to a MNF game where Chuck Long played and me and my friends held up a sign that we hoped the ABC cameras would see. Problem was, many other people had the same sign.

Atta
    Boy
    Chuck
  9. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I've got several. Eddie Murray's kick to defeat "America's Team" in the last seconds at home (even though it took 12 men :pound:).
    Barry and Emmitt going head to head on a Monday nite game where the game went into overtime. Emmitt extolling the home crowd to by waving his arms for support. Barry responding with run after run. Hanson missing a winning FG, Dallas blocking another one, and finally in the last seconds (about after midnight) Hanson hitting and winning the game.

Billy Sims airplane move into the endzone many times. And against KC just POWERING into the endzone pushing their LB's into it.

Hermann Moore outdueling Jerry Rice for most catches in a year in the last game in SF.

Barry's run against the Jets smashing the 2000 yard mark.

Lem Barney skying for an interception. And in his first game, nailing one for a pick6 against the Vikes.

The Silver Rush trouncing QB's more than the famous NY Sack Exchange with Klecko and the idiot that Doug English manhandled.

Alex Karras intimidating QB's more than Butkus. And laughing when New Orleans FG kicker lined up for a 63 yard FG for a longshot win-----and hitting hit. Well,ok, that was not a good one.:sssh:

"Another one bites the Dust".

Wayne Fontes being carried off the field.
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I've got several. Eddie Murray's kick to defeat "America's Team" in the last seconds at home (even though it took 12 men :pound:). Qoute Zark
    -
    I think that's the game that made me buy a VCR. Billy Sims caught a 80yd TD pass that game. We hadn't beaten dallas in 5 years before that game.
  11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

went with my high school marching band to the game where barry broke 2000 yards in the season (also when one of the guys got seriously injured...can't remember his name). it was pretty crazy to see the players running to the tunnel in a panic, yelling "he's not breathing" and whatnot. then the silverdome was so loud that they kept telling the crowd to quiet down or the lions might be penalized. then we were forced to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter and didn't get to see barry break the mark in person.

pretty memorable all around though.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

My favorite Lions memory was a Monday night game against the Rams...it might have been the last year in the Silverdome. My buddies and I had seats in the upper deck in the corner. The Lions were getting blown out 35-0 in the 3rd qtr and the boos had started...then the game got fun. Two young women sitting right behind us decided to entertain the crowd (since the Lions weren't doing it) and popped their tops. Everyone in four sections around us kept egging them on and the girls kept up the show until security chased them out...a move that was met with even louder booing.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

So they smuggled in cans of beer.......I've done that before....:)
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That sounds a lot like an experience I had at a Tigers game probably about 12-15 years ago.

We were sitting in the bleachers in the middle of a summer afternoon game when out came a Yoda mask from someone (drunk) in the stands. It started out innocently enough, but eventually turned into quite the show.

The Yoda mask started getting passed around to women in the stands (also drunk) who would then put it on and flash the crowd. It got pretty crazy. Groups of people started huddling around and the entire bleacher section kept chanting "Yoda, Yoda, Yoda!". No one was paying any attention to the game! :pound:

This lasted for about 3 innings before security had to come and ruin the party. :yellowprison: