"FAVORITE" TIGER MEMORY..

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Sep 25, 2006.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

As we celebrate a great rejuvenation in ME as well as the Tigers, I think back at some of my favorite moments in Tigertown. Of course, they all have something to do with the corner of Michigan and Trumbell. My top three:

3. Going to the second to last game at the Corner with my dad and my brother vs Kansas City. We watched maybe 4 innings of the game and spent the rest of the time walking around taking pictures, smelling hotdogs and cigars and absorbing history.

2. The Bird vs Yankees on monday Night Baseball.1976. Ron LeFlore had two steals and Bird won 5-1 in one of his "24" complete games. We kept looking up to the ABC booth watching Cosell. I was in leftcenter field, believe or not, with my dad. You all have just read witness to the only two sporting events we ever attended together.

1. Parading down Trumbell and Grand River after Game 5 in 84. Eating coney islands, drinking and sharing alchohol, flipping police cars, woo-hoo!Everybody hugged everybody and for all the vandalism we had to deal with, it was one of the biggest 'lovefests' I ever enjoyed.

I am so pppprrrrr-oud of this team. I was proud when we hit 85 wins cuz thats what I predicted.

ROARRRRR!! IT HAS been REST_orrred!
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since I was a kid who was really into baseball and it was at the peak of the Tigers (1984-86), I have some really random memories that stand out.

1) lying in bed with the window open on a summer night listening to the end of the Tigers-Rangers game on July 5th, 1984 on the radio. Tigers were down 4-1 going into the 9th and they quickly got 2 outs. I remember thinking that I could will them to victory. Then they started to rally and it was capped off by a 3-run homerun by Gibby to win the game.

2) Rupert Jones' out of the stadium homeruns.

3) Sid Monge's playoff outing where he threw 1 pitch, hit a batter, and was yanked (at least that is my memory)...

4) Lance Parrish's bat with the black barrell. I put black electrical tape on my whiffle ball bat to match.

5) Me and my bro watching the betamax tape we made of the 1984 world series for 2 years afterward. I wish I could find that.

5) Thinking that Hernandez sucked and wishing Sparky would never put him in. In hindsight, I'll admit that he was pretty good.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

ESPN shows that Monday Night Baseball game occasionally on Classic. It's funny because the players introduce themselves and say where they were born. When they got to Billy Martin, he said, "Born in New York, died in New York." Oh, so true.
  4. detteam

detteam All-Star

In honor of the Tigers for what they've accomplished this year...for those of you old enough to remember, and for those of you young enough to have missed out on some great memories and waiting patiently to see new ones created:

YouTube - Baseball is....

Nothing like Ernie's voice...and George Kell's :)

While driving thru my sub, I've occasionally seen Sparky walking in the last few summers with a buddy he must have here. Though I'd love to stop and ask for an autograph...I've just waved and he waved back.

I've got a lot of nostalgia going on with this new era of the Tigers :)
  5. ggazoo69

Cool video.
  6. detteam

detteam All-Star

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

When I moved to Detroit, I had a 1989 Ford Tempo with a factory AM radio. That summer, I would drive around on my days off, trying to get to know the city and the area. I would listen to the Tigers games, and especially Ernie Harwell.

I remember looking for "the corner" while driving around listening to the game. Down Trumbull until I hit Michigan Ave. I parked my car and decided to catch the game.

When I went up to the ticket booth, a guy approached me and asked me if I wanted to see the game. He told me to save my money, because he would give me a ticket. Turns out, he was a season ticket holder for years, and the Tigs were in the cellar, so his kids wouldn't go to the games with him. I watched the game from right behind home plate. I had a great time.

I watched about 3 dozen more games at the old stadium. It was great fun, even though it wasn't a great team.
  8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

When Ty Cobb slid into the commish's office and spiked Bud Selig where no man wants to be spiked.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

1968 Game 7 at St. Louis... Freehan hits a 3 run homer to seal the deal off a guy that was considered unhittable that year (Bob Gibson).

Last weeks Maglio's hit is an instant top 5.
  10. ggazoo69

Hate to break this to you Merc, but Freehan didn't hit a homer in the series. You might be thinking of Northrup's two-run triple off Gibson.

1968 World Series - DET vs. STL - Baseball-Reference.com
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

You're right it was Northrup's big hit... must of had Freehan's catching the final out muddled in with the big hit... damn I went 38 years thinking Freehan was the hero... and you came along and popped my balloon lol.

We all know who the real hero was... Mickey Lolich... btw, he credited his arm strength and accuracy by throwing a large ball bearing (about the size of a baseball) though a car tire when he was younger.

How 'bout Mayo Smith converting Mickey Stanely to a SS (from center)right after winning the pennant... that took some extra large stones.
  12. ggazoo69

Agreed. Lolich was the hero. 3-0, 1.67 ERA. Also, Freehan blocked the plate on that crucial play where Lou Brock was called out. I think it was Brock. As far as Stanley goes, Smith had to do that to get Kaline in there, but you're right. Good move by Mayo and says something about Stanley's athleticism.
  13. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

My favorite Tiger memory was in 1984. I was teaching math in Allen Park Michigan and my wife and I went to see the Tigers clinch the pennant. I'll never forget Willie Hernandez pitching for the last out. My least favorite Tiger memory was the same day. Right after the game, as my wife were walking behind Tiger Stadium, we saw some drunk guy taking a leak.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

By the way, I just realized that the last time the Tigers made it to the playoffs (1987), Amir Johnson was 0 years old.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

My favorite memory was the Tigers winning it all in 1984. I had just moved to the DC area from Detroit in the winter of `84.

Kirk Gibson, Parrish, Trammell, and Whitaker, with Herndon, Dan Petry, Jack Morris, and Senor Smoke was filling me with pride as a transplanted Detroiter at that time.

I have a picture of Tiger Stadium in my TV room that was shot during the series. You can see the skyline of downtown, even Michigan Av. The strange thing about the picture is you don`t see not one car on the road, it seems everyone is watching the game live or at home on TV.

It`s an awesome picture!!!!!
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Some of those great memories of MLlain getting his 30th in 68, Stanley playing shortstop in the series, so that the old pro Kaline could play in RF. Cash chewing on tobacco,

Tigers winning their first 9 in 84 and then 35 of their first 40 to run the table from day one to the end of the season. The "Kids" Sweet Lou and Trammel maturing during that magical season to be the best 2B-SS in the league that year and probably the best in Tiger history. Disposing of the Royals and Padres with ease and Gibson pumping his fist around the bases.

and then there is this year which is not over yet TBC

YouTube - Detroit Tigers - Breath=