February Pistons articles *Updated Daily*

Discussion in 'Pistons Archive' started by Zoso, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hahahaha. An excerpt from detnews.com today:

Q . What did LeBron James and Ben Wallace say to each other after Wallace air-balled his free throw Sunday?

A . Basically, James just asked, "What was that?" And Wallace told him, "You know, that's what I do."
    James was laughing so hard he had to share the line with the East bench.
    "He said, 'That's what I do.'"

:laugh: Thats what I do! :laugh: Sad, but also so true.
  2. Media Guy

Media Guy First Round Draft Pick

News update 2-22-06

~~ Detroit Bad Boys ~~

“That’s what I do.”
    Was Ben Wallace embarrassed after his airballed free throw during the All-Star game? (Bite your tongue! Ben Wallace does not get embarrassed…ever.) No, reportedly Ben just laughed it off with the rest of his East teammates. The story, from today's Detroit News:
    Q . What did LeBron James and Ben Wallace say to [...]

Jerry Colangelo is getting desperate
    Apparently after getting rejected by Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince, Jerry Colangelo is getting desperate: Bruce Bowen has been invited to try out for Team USA. OK, try to look past the fact that he's a goon — I know, it's hard, but at least try — but the guy's 35 years old, and the [...]

~~ The Detroit News ~~

Milicic is happy nightmare's over
    CLEVELAND -- In many ways, Tuesday was the first day of Darko Milicic's NBA career.

Pistons stop young Hawks
    AUBURN HILLS -- The Atlanta Hawks, 16-36 record notwithstanding, aren't the ideal team to play after a seven-day break.

Team doctors look at Cato's injuries
    AUBURN HILLS -- New Piston Kelvin Cato spent most of Tuesday with team doctors, who are still trying to get a handle on his right foot and ankle injuries.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

~~ Pistons.com ~~

Chauncey Billups’ All-Star Diary

I’ve been at All-Star weekends before involved in a number of different activities, but this year was much more special. This year, for the first time, I got to be a part of the game, the game that celebrates the top basketball players in the world. I’ve always wanted to be a part of that, so for me, the 2006 All-Star game in Houston will always have an extraordinary meaning.

[​IMG]

~~ Detroit Free Press ~~

DETROIT 97, ATLANTA 87: Pistons dust off the Hawks
    by CHRIS SILVA

The Pistons looked a bit rusty during parts of the first half, but managed to pull it together enough to defeat the Atlanta Hawks, 97-87, at the Palace on Tuesday night.

PISTONS CORNER: Newly acquired Cato joins team
    Center could miss up to two weeks
    by CHRIS SILVA

Kelvin Cato knows he is headed down one of two paths.

Cato, acquired last week from the Orlando Magic, will be headed to his third team this season by Thursday's trading deadline, or he will remain a Piston and get a chance to contribute in their quest for another NBA title.

PRE-PLAYOFF POINTERS
    by KRISTA LATHAM

Just 30 MORE GAMES stand between the Pistons and the promised land of the playoffs.

"Once you get into those last 30 games, everyone kind of gets juiced up," Pistons coach Flip Saunders said. "You can see that LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL. And I think that's important."

NBA ROUNDUP: Darko calls time in Detroit a 'nightmare'
    Little Magic in Milicic debut
    FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

CLEVELAND -- It's a new team but the same story for Darko Milicic.

Few minutes and even fewer points as he's told to be patient for playing time.

~~ The Oakland Press ~~

Cato sees signs he may stay for a while
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - Kelvin Cato saw the writing on the wall. He believes it's a good sign.

Cato already has a nameplate in the locker rooms of The Palace and the team's practice facility. He figures that the Pistons wouldn't have bothered to give him that if they were going to deal him before the trade deadline Thursday.

Back to work
    Pistons start slow but subdue Hawks
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - Whether it was an All-Star hangover or the post-Bahamas blues, the Pistons needed a little extra time to regain their swagger. Going from T-Mac and T-Duncan to tea time with the frisky-but-downtrodden Atlanta Hawks played havoc with their concentration.

~~ Booth Newspapers ~~

Pistons dominate at beginning, end to beat Hawks 97-87
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Blow them out. Keep it close. Blow them out.

Las Vegas bookmakers weren't the only ones trying to figure out what the Detroit Pistons were doing against the lowly Atlanta Hawks on Tuesday night.

When all was said and done, the Pistons ended the game the way they started it -- dominating play at both ends of the floor -- in defeating Atlanta, 97-87.

Pistons may keep Cato for depth in playoffs
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Donning a thick coat with a furry collar when he strolled into the Detroit Pistons practice facility earlier this week, you could hardly tell that Kelvin Cato spent the last two years basking in sunny Orlando.

He looked like a man who was comfortable in his new surroundings, a far cry from the balmy temperatures he was accustomed to as a member of the Orlando Magic.

~~ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ~~

Pistons pull away from Hawks
    by SEKOU SMITH

Auburn Hills, Mich. – When facing the NBA's elite this season the Hawks have taken a rather bold approach, opting to meet them at center court instead of concocting gimmicks and tricks to battle superior foes.

It's worked, as the Hawks have scored wins over Detroit, San Antonio, Cleveland and Indiana (twice).

Relative success against Pistons
    by SEKOU SMITH

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Two wins in two seasons over arguably the best team in basketball during that span doesn't qualify as mastery of an opponent.

But the Hawks have had more success than most in dealing with the Pistons, Tuesday night's opponent at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

~~ NBA Video ~~

Pistons 97, Hawks 87 Recap

Richard Hamilton scored a team-high 24 to lead Detroit, while Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups had double-doubles.
  4. Media Guy

[Beyond The Arc]

Pistons likely done trading

With the trade deadline less than 12 hours away, it appears as though the Pistons will stand pat with the...
    Read More

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Rasheed’s southpaw attempt

Remember that left-handed three-pointer that Rasheed Wallace attempted in the All-Star game? When asked about it after Tuesday's game, he said it was in honor of Tayshaun Prince, the only Pistons starter that didn't make the trip to Houston. As usual, Need4Sheed has the interview.
    Read More

Cato may stay for the long haul

A lot of people figured that Kelvin Cato would not be long for Detroit, that he was just an expiring contract the Pistons acquired simply to move to yet another team before the trade deadline. Now, it's starting to look like that's not the case. With the trade deadline looming tomorrow, Cato is still in [...]
    Read More
  5. roscoe36

~~ The Detroit News ~~

O'Neal reheats rivalry
    Pistons are befuddled by injured center's claim that Pacers match up well with East champs.
    David Goricki / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons-Pacers rivalry is alive and well thanks to a player who won't even be on the court tonight.

Jermaine O'Neal, the injured Pacers center, made a statement the Pistons won't soon forget.

O'Neal told TNT analyst Charles Barkley last week that the Pacers matched up well with the Pistons, and even beat the Pistons without him earlier this month.

~~ The Detroit Free Press ~~

PISTONS CORNER: O'Neal may get what he wants
    by CHRIS SILVA

Was Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal using reverse psychology during All-Star weekend when he spoke about wanting to face the Pistons in the first round of the playoffs?

That's highly doubtful.

Pistons look rusty, still beat Hawks, 97-87
    by CHRIS SILVA

Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace flushes two of his 21 points against visiting Atlanta on Tuesday night. Wallace also grabbed 12 rebounds. (KIRTHMON F. DOZIER/Detroit Free Press)

The Pistons looked a bit rusty during parts of the first half, but managed to pull it together enough to defeat the Atlanta Hawks, 97-87, at the Palace on Tuesday night.

Feeling the effects of the six-day layoff and the four starters' extra work during the All-Star weekend, the Pistons had a tougher time than expected in beating the Hawks.

~~ Booth Newspapers ~~

All quiet on the trading front (audio)
    Flip Saunders tells WDFN: Detroit that he doesn't expect the Pistons to make any moves to acquire a back-up point gaurd before the trading deadline.

Pacers have regular-season edge, but Pistons rule in playoffs
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS -- Since ex-Detroit Pistons coach Rick Carlisle took over the Indiana Pacers two years ago, the Pacers have dominated Detroit in the regular season with six wins in their nine meetings, including a 93-85 Pacers win on Feb. 4.

The playoffs, well, that's an entirely different matter.

~~ The Oakland Press ~~

No Artest, but Pistons are still fired up for matchup with Pacers
    O'Neal's comments during All-Star weekend added fuel to fiery rivalry
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - Ron Artest's return to The Palace was postponed due to shifting loyalties. The rivalry between Indiana and Detroit still whips furiously in the wind, courtesy of Jermaine O'Neal.
  6. Media Guy

[BEYOND THE ARC] Reserve point play a concern

[DETROIT BAD BOYS]

Jermaine O’Neal thinks he can beat Mike Tyson

So the last time I predicted the outcome of a Pistons/Pacers game, I came up with this bit of genius:

But alas the Pacers, sans Jermaine O'Neal, shouldn't be much of a match for the Pistons either. So expect Delfino, Maurice Evans, and Carlos Arroyo to get plenty of court time tonight (for that matter, let's [...]

It’s official: Carlos Delfino is “Miami Vice”

What should Carlos Delfino's nickname be? The readers have spoken (well, at least 102 of them), and...

Vote on your most hated rival!

Matt posed the question at the beginning of the month; who is your most hated Piston rival? Well, after the success of the last poll, we've decided to put this issue to a vote as well.

Your choices…

1) Miami Heat. Kazaam and Dwayne Wade have never been prone to passing too much [...]

~~ The Mercury News ~~

Milicic blames everyone but himself for his shortcomings
    by DREW SHARP

ORLANDO, Fla. - Four days into a fresh opportunity at redemption, and Darko Milicic is already sulking. The name on the uniform is different, but the seat at the end of the bench hasn't changed.

He doesn't get it. And he probably never will.

He can't even play on a team that has given up hope on the season.

"I didn't come here to sit on the bench," Milicic said Thursday after the Orlando Magic's practice. "I tell myself that everything will be fine here, but right now, nothing has changed. I want to play. I need to play. I learn nothing sitting on the bench."
  7. Media Guy

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Tony Pizzle: All Sizzle, No Steak

Remember back in 1993 when Shaquille O'Neal was on top of the world? He was a 20-year-old rookie that just exploded onto the scene — he was always on TV, whether it was highlights of him tearing down baskets or commercials of him selling products for Reebok and Pepsi.
    We loved the guy, and when [...]

[The Detroit News]

Rasheed is sparkplug in 4th quarter

AUBURN HILLS -- First it was his buddy Jermaine O'Neal, then it was referee Bennett Salvatore.

Search for backup point guard still on

AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons did not make any more trades before the deadline Thursday, but that doesn't mean they've stopped searching for a backup point guard.

[Pistons.com]

Rasheed’s 28 Leads Pistons Past Pacers

Rasheed Wallace scored 11 straight points in a fourth-quarter surge as
    the Detroit Pistons defeated the Indiana Pacers, 88-83, for their 11th
    straight home win.

NBA TV highlights from Pacers-Pistons: Play

[The Detroit Free Press]

DETROIT 88, INDIANA 83: 'Sheed picks up the pace in 4th period
    by KRISTA LATHAM

The Pistons-Pacers chippy rivalry continues to entertain, even with forward Ron Artest in a time zone far, far away.

Thursday was supposed to be the first post-brawl trip to the Palace for former Pacer forward Artest, but a trade with the Sacramento Kings last month changed that.

PISTONS CORNER: No good deals at deadline for Dumars
    by KRISTA LATHAM

The trade deadline passed Thursday with nary a whimper from the front office of the Pistons -- or really, most franchises around the league.

And while the Pistons sniffed around for a backup point guard to shelter Chauncey Billups now that Carlos Arroyo calls Orlando home, there was nothing worth seriously considering while the asking prices stayed in the astronomical range.

[Booth Newspapers]

Dumars expected to make a pitch for Hawks' guard Delk
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS - Joe Dumars has built this Detroit Pistons team on finding players other teams don't want.

So it should come as no surprise that, now that the trading deadline has passed, the Pistons will look at add another guard from among a handful of players expected to be waived or bought out of their contracts in the coming days.

"We're looking to see what happens on the waiver wire and kind of make a determination then," said Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations.

Rasheed's 'felonious' technical inspires Pistons past Pacers 88-83
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

AUBURN HILLS - Technical fouls have a way of mellowing out most players when they pick one up.

Then again, Rasheed Wallace isn't like most players.

Instead of cooling off, Wallace only gets more fired up.

[Beyond The Arc]

No trades, Sheed heats up, and more

* The trade deadline came and went, and as expected, the Pistons didn't make a move. Joe Dumars, appearing on WDFN Thursday morning, had said that their only opportunity "would have to do something with (recently acquired Kelvin) Cato, and there's nothing. I mean, we haven't gotten a call."

[The Oakland Press]

Pistons don't make a deal at deadline
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - The Pistons didn't complete any trades prior to the trade deadline Thursday. More significantly, none of the Eastern Conference contenders chasing them made a bold move.

Wallace power
    Ben, Rasheed lead Pistons to easy victory
    by DANA GAURUDER

AUBURN HILLS - Ben Wallace got angry at the officials Thursday night. Rasheed Wallace soon followed.
  8. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

~ The Detroit News ~​

Pistons get technical victory over Bulls
    .... Although he had nothing negative to say about Hinrich, Hamilton said Bulls coach Scott Skiles talked trash throughout the game. "I kept hearing someone talking slick from behind me," Hamilton said. "I'm like, 'Who is talking to me?' Me and Hinrich had a little battle going on, but that's all fun and games. I kept hearing someone behind me, and I turned around and it was him.
    "My thing is your job is to coach the team," he continued. "Your job is not to say stuff to me, and that's what got me (ticked) off."

Nash seems like the players' choice to repeat as MVP
    "I'd be my choice, to be honest with you, but Steve Nash is another great choice," Billups said. "He's kept that team afloat, and not just afloat but winning a division. Without Stoudemire, I think (that) is remarkable."

~ The Chicago Tribune ~​

No nice manners at this 'T' party
    .... Wallace laid down near midcourt to protest a foul called against him in the third quarter. It led to two free throws for Andres Nocioni and another for Ben Gordon on the technical.
    "They literally complain about every call the whole game," Skiles said of the Pistons. "That's their style. That's what they do. They're having a great year doing it."

~ NBA.com ~​

Pistons hang on for another Windy City Win
    .... Antonio McDyess contributed a season-high 16 points and fellow reserve Maurice Evans added 15 to pick up the slack for the Pistons, who have not lost in the United Center since January 22, 2000.
    "Because of all the crazy things that went on in the game, our bench got to play more," Evans said. "We (the bench) were all able to contribute and that's what the key was. For me the key was to be aggressive and things fell into place."

~ MLive.com: Beyond the Arc ~​

Blakely radio notes: Darko just didn't fit
    .... Lindsey is trying to come back from both the ankle surgery and the flu. When he’s healthy Lindsey can cause a lot of problems for other teams. He’s getting close, and within the next week or so, we should see him improve.
    The one downfall of losing Arroyo is that the McDyess pick-and-roll seems to have disappeared from the playbook, and that’s a really big part of what McDyess’ offensive game is about. I’m curious to see how McDyess plays over the next few weeks now that Arroyo is gone, a guy that always got him wide open shots.
  9. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

~ The Detroit News ~​

Cleveland pays a call, and it will be desperate
    AUBURN HILLS -- The Pistons might not be the most daunting opponent facing the Cleveland Cavaliers this afternoon. Before they begin to play the Pistons -- which they will today at The Palace and Monday at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland -- the Cavs have to confront and convict some personal demons. Two straight losses, including an especially demoralizing home loss to Washington on Friday, have conjured up the ghosts of last season's second-half free fall that cost them a playoff spot.

~ Cleveland Plain Dealer ~​

http://www.cleveland.com/nba/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/114094654991050.xml&coll=2Flip's Switch
    Bill Fitch laid it out for Flip Saunders. It was the summer of 1977, and Saunders was in rookie camp with the Cavaliers. Saunders had gone undrafted -- if not unnoticed -- despite the fact that the former All-America basketball player at Cuyahoga Heights High School was coming off an outstanding career at the University of Minnesota, where he started 101 of 103 games in four years.

Spot getting washed away
    Less than a week after All-Star weekend, the Cavaliers are taking on some of the same characteristics of last year's squad that imploded during the second half of the season. The Cavs appeared as shoo-ins to make the playoffs last year, but the bottom fell out, and they missed the postseason by a game. They are presently in the fourth slot, but more performances like Friday's game against the Washington Wizards could mean a second season of disappointment.

...And this from ESPN's Midweek Dime:
    "I'm going to come up with something new. I'm a trend-setter."
    Detroit's Rasheed Wallace, revealing he will not re-issue championship belts to his teammates if the Pistons manage to win their second championship in three seasons. 'Sheed says he's peeved because he has since seen his boxing-style belts copied and sold without his authorization.
  10. roscoe36

[The Oakland Press]

Shades of MJ
    LeBron's path must go through Detroit first
    by Pat Caputo

When we remember Michael Jordan, we tend to recall the ends. We often forget the means, and how difficult the struggle was to get there, and the Pistons' role in Jordan's strain.

Although he eventually had the last laugh with six NBA titles, the Pistons made Jordan's life miserable for the longest time.

Evans takes Rip's advice to heart
    by DANA GAURUDER

During the early morning hours in Chicago on Friday, Richard Hamilton did his best impersonation of Dr. Phil.

Teammate Maurice Evans visited Hamilton's room shortly after the Pistons checked into the team hotel and just a few hours after Detroit fi nished off Indiana, 88-83, on Thursday night at The Palace. Evans, Hamilton's backup, was singing the blues after playing just four scoreless minutes.

[Booth Newspapers]

Delk likely to become a Piston after release from Hawks
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

CHICAGO - Joe Dumars feels good about the team he has now, a squad he expects to be one of the last standing at the end of the season.

"But if I can add something that can help us," Dumars said earlier thisweek, " I'll pull the trigger on that, too."

Dumars, Detroit's president of basketball operations, will try and do that early next week when he's expected to add another player, ex-Atlanta Hawks guard Tony Delk.

Emotion bubbles as Pistons push past the Bulls 95-87
    by A. Sherrod Blakely

CHICAGO - Michael Jordan was in the house, and for a moment, the United Center was rocking the way it used to back when MJ's Chicago Bulls used to battle the Detroit Pistons for supremacy in the Central Division.

But this Chicago team isn't nearly that good, especially when the game matters most, the fourth quarter.

Detroit made all the big plays down the stretch, showing the kind of poise fans have come to expect as they held on for a 95-87 win.

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Pistons punk Pacers, thanks to Sheed

Pre-rant recap
    Natalie at Need 4 Sheed has, as always, done an excellent job in capturing the video highlights of Sheed's big night against the Pacers. If you want a taste of how dominant the Pistons were during brief stretches of last night's 88-83 W over the Pacers, I suggest you check that out. As for me, I'm choosing instead to %%%%% and moan like only a fan of the best team in the NBA can–see below.

Rant (or as much as one can with the team being 44-9)
    One of the things I appreciated about the first 40 games of this season was the way in which the Pistons closed out games. They didn't care if you were the Spurs, the Suns, the Bobcats, or the Sixers — at the end of the game, they stepped on your neck and didn't let you up for air until the clock hit zeros.
  11. Media Guy

[Detroit Bad Boys] Weekend wrap; Pistons pound Bulls and Cavaliers

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Weekend wrap; Pistons pound Bulls and Cavaliers

Seein' Red
    Perhaps we should have listed the Chicago Bulls on our recent poll of the most hated Piston rivals. Or perhaps not, since the Bulls–after turning some heads last season by making the playoffs for the first time in the post-Jordan era–have returned to sub-mediocrity and are nowhere near deserving of "rival" status. [...]
  12. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

~ The Detroit News ~​

Ben Wallace lays down law on defense, stymies Cavs
    AUBURN HILLS -- Every time the Cleveland Cavaliers looked like they might be making a run at the Pistons on Sunday, they ran into Ben Wallace. A steal here, a deflected pass there, a rebound here, a block there -- he was a one-man wall of denial.

Referee gets his message across
    AUBURN HILLS -- Veteran referee Joey Crawford hadn't worked a Pistons game all season until Sunday, but he clearly has watched a lot of film. No doubt he has heard Bulls coach Scott Skiles and others whine about the Pistons' nonstop chatter with the referees.

~ The Detroit Free Press ~​

Bloodied and Dfeated
    If the Pistons are looking for a stop, chances are they're going to Ben Wallace, who has become a difficult matchup for any opponent.

Chicago's Skiles cries foul, and ref reacts
    "The thing with Joey, he just said, 'Hey, you're not talking tonight.' And I said, 'Hey, I'm going to talk,' otherwise Joe (Dumars) won't pay me. That's what a coach does. But I like Joey, I respect him. When the ratings come out and we can vote, and in five categories he gets a 10 in every category."

~ MLive.com ~​

Inside the Pistons
    Who's hot: Ben Wallace made his presence felt at both ends of the floor in four games last week, averaging 10.8 points, 13.3 rebounds, 4.5 blocked shots and four steals per game.

"D" gains momentum
    Not including Sunday's 90-78 win over Cleveland, the Pistons had risen to fourth defensively. They're still not as stingy as they were last year, but they've shored up some of what was ailing them early on.

~ The Oakland Press ~​

Pistons give Cavaliers heavy dose of Big Ben
    AUBURN HILLS - When Larry Brown left town, many people figured the Pistons' defensive discipline would head out the door with him. They were supposed to become more of an offensive team under Flip Saunders while sacrificing their former identity. After 55 games, it's clear that while their offense has improved, their defense has not suffered at all. And it never will as long as they have a healthy and motivated Ben Wallace on their side.
  13. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

~ Foxsports.com ~​
    LeBron must learn to play outside spotlight
    by Charlie Rosen
    On their way to a carefree 90-78 victory, here's a closer look at Detroit's specific strategies that were designed to dethrone LeBron.

~ Cleveland Plain Dealer ~​
    Cavs must respond tonight
    by Bud Shaw
    Answering a cheap shot requires nothing more than an attitude. But the Cavaliers didn't show that or much of anything Sunday after Rasheed Wallace opened a gash on Zydrunas Ilgauskas' head. Rasheed The Innocent, of course, claimed to referees he was swiping at the ball - probably on his way to helping an elderly lady to her seat.
  14. roscoe36

[Blue Collar Blueprint]

A Reminder of What's Basic

Now that we’re into the “second half” of the season, I’d like to point out a few things about how Pistons put the first half behind them.

I particularly liked Chauncey Billups comments after the All Star weekend. He said, “It was beautiful. Non-stop from the time I woke up to the time I lay down.”

[Detroit Bad Boys]

Using math to predict the MVP
    by Matt Watson

In an effort to scientifically predict the winner of the NBA's Most Valuable Player award, Michael Wilczynski, a guest writer for 82games.com, examined 20 years of historical data to see what past winners had in common.

Will there be any fight in the Cavs tonight?
    by Ian Cameron

A. Sherrod Blakely of MLive gives the rundown of the skull crackin' that went on early in Sunday's beatdown of the Cavs, with Sheed nearly decapitating Zydrunas Ilgauskas (resulting in 5 stitches for big Z).
  15. roscoe36

[The Detroit News]

Pistons prevail in a laugher
    In a game of strange calls, Rasheed Wallace gets 15th technical for a chuckle, still scores 24.
    by Joanne C. Gerstner

CLEVELAND -- Welcome to the Twilight Zone, Quicken Loans Arena-style.

It's a very weird, metaphysical state, as evidenced Monday night, where technical fouls are called for laughing and confusion reigns.

The Pistons and Cavaliers stepped into this scary world, with the Pistons bearing the brunt of the freakiness.

The Pistons beat the Cavs, 84-72, overcoming three odd technical fouls and other phantom foul strangeness.

Technically, this is a trend
    Officials have whistled Pistons for misbehavior 10 times in three games, no laughing matter.
    by Joanne C. Gerstner

CLEVELAND -- Maybe Bulls coach Scott Skiles has pulled off a Jedi mind trick on officiating crews for Pistons games.

Ever since Skiles complained about the Pistons being whiners, the officials have called technical fouls on Detroit at a mad clip.

Try 10 technicals in three games. The one that really has the Pistons scratching their heads was Monday's called on Rasheed Wallace -- for laughing.

Picking up speed
    Mavs potent but often fade come playoff time
    by Joanne C. Gerstner

They're fun to watch. They can shoot the lights out and play tough defense. The wins are piling up, and people are starting to wonder what's going to happen in the playoffs.

No, it's not the Pistons.

There's another team winning nearly as many games, without as much hype -- the Dallas Mavericks.

They've been at, or near, the top of the Western Conference all season, sharing elite status with the 2005 NBA champion San Antonio Spurs. They were 44-11 through Sunday, with a one-game lead over the Spurs for the conference's top record.

Alley oop to ... Jason Maxiell
    by Joanne C. Gerstner

Q . Strongest player you have every played against?

A . Easy. Ben Wallace, without a doubt.

Q . I think a few people around the league would have that answer too. What makes Ben so strong?

A . He just has that will to go after the ball. He's like a bull, a really strong bull.

Q . Goofiest looking basketball shoes being worn in the NBA right now?

A . Alonzo Mourning of the Heat has some messed up shoes. They're just horrible. I would never wear them.

[...more...]

Dealing Darko was good move
    by Chris McCosky

Burning questions as Darko-mania continues to grow:

Q . They are talking about promoting Darko to the starting lineup in Orlando already. Do you think the Pistons traded him too hastily, and do you think they did it just to cut costs?

A . Listen, we can probably agree on a couple points.

Darko Milicic was not going to flourish here.

[The Detroit Free Press]

DETROIT 84, CLEVELAND 72: The last laugh
    'Sheed earns 15th tech, but Pistons stay on a roll
    by KRISTA LATHAM

CLEVELAND -- The officials keep on whistling. And the Pistons keep on winning.

Add three more technical fouls to the docket and up the total in the past three games to 10. But don't fret too much. All three games resulted in Detroit wins, with the Pistons topping Cleveland, 84-72, on Monday night at Quicken Loans Arena.

PISTONS CORNER: Boldly going where no Piston has gone before
    by KRISTA LATHAM

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Pistons rookie Amir Johnson left for the NBDL's Fayetteville Patriots on Monday and will play at least a week for the NBA's new minor league partner.

What the forward will do down there, the Pistons can't say.

This is the first time the Pistons have sent a player to the NBDL. And coach Flip Saunders said he wouldn't give the Patriots staff any instructions on how he'd like Johnson to be used while he's on their roster.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.