Fedorov back in our conference

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Superstarov, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Bah. To heck with Feddie. He's washed up.

3. Superstarov

:hurt:
    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! :mad2:

My eyes are burning!!!!!!!!!:faint2:

What are you saying 'Wave?!!!:yell:

That's sacreligious.:eek:

That's almost as bad as when I traded Yzerman for Forsberg straight up on my video hockey game.:doh:

You can't diss on Feds until we win a cup without him!:rant:

WTF?!!! Washed up? Washed up was what Brett Hull was when he played for the Wings! Oh, he had two great years... yeah, playing with Zetts and Dats... They even make Holmstrom look like an offensive wiz.:typing:

That's just wrong... To heck with Feddie?!!!:flame:

The guy was the most exciting Wing next to Yzerman we had... it's not like we're taling about Slava Kozlov here... or even Lucky Luc. We're talking about Sergei Fedorov! Sergei "I married Anna Kournikova" Fedorov!!!:boxing:

The one thing I was hoping would come out of the lockout was that Anaheim would dump his contract, and the Wings would pick him up for a song.:eyebrows:

Man, I still wake-up dreaming about a Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg line...:pray:

That just wrong man... after all we've been through together...I thought I knew you.:frusty:

I trusted you!!!!!!!!:hurt: :violin:

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

LMAO! Funny response.
    Was that a typo? Don't you mean he "molested" her rather than "married" her? :laugh:

5. Superstarov

Hey man, things are different in Russia. If I could live by those rules, I honestly can't say that I'd have stuck with the conservative American standards...

He did actually marry her though... she was like 19 then... before she dumped him for that latin pop singer fella.

6. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I think Feds realizes now that Detroit made him. Talent can only take you so far especially when you are the only one with superstar talent on a team. Feds was not asked to carry the Wings he only had to be a part of them and with so many other weapons around he did not have to worry about being the only go to guy. So when he was in a slump people moaned and growned but when you are the #1 guy and the highest paid that does not fly.

I bet Feds was on the phone with his agent screaming Columbus!!! Columbus!!!! I am leaving the sunny skies and girls for Columbus!! Get me out of there ASAP!!! :doh:

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

'Bad karma' for the Wings is what McCarty revealed to them last night. What the Wings did to Darren was shameful.

8. Superstarov

Economics of the New NHL 101

I totally disagree with you. Sorry to say.

McCarty was a "defensive" forward. And everyone knew coming into this season, it was going to be a new league.

He was making $2.5 mil. That's just slightly less than Zetterberg is getting. And more than Shanny, Draper, Malbty, Holmstrom, Fischer, Yzerman, Legace, Oscgood, Chelios, and Williams are making. Actually that's more than five times what Williams is making, and he's the team's points leader.

It's a new league, and it's a business. I'm sure it wasn't an easy thing for the Wings to do, but now McCarty gets that $2.5 million a season for the rest of his contract length with the Wings, plus the $800,000 that Calgary is paying him per season. So, he is alright, probably more money that he's ever been paid from playing hockey anyhow.

Also, how could they justify paying that much money to a guy who's only been healthy enough to play in 66% of the games since 2000? It doesn't make sense. In this new NHL, where the cap is the cap is the cap, you just can't do it.

Look at all the guys who were cut loose. All over the league. The Wings were paying him that ridiculous amount of money because he was a fan favorite. But fan favorites aren't worth $2.5 million if they don't score goals, and only play 2 out of every 3 games.

I wish DMac well, and wish he could have stayed in the Winged Wheel, but it really wasn't a possibility. And to say it was "shameful" is looking through rose coloured glass. The Wings are one of the classiest organizations in the NHL, and if you follow hockey at all, you'd know that the Wings, from ownership, to management, to coaches, to players... didn't want the lockout, didn't want a hard cap, and didn't want to miss a season. But they are part of a larger picture, and were in the minority. They HAVE to play by the new rules, and that meant, being a team with one of the highest payrolls in the league, they'd have to make some tough choices.

If you missed it, once a team bought out a player's contract, that contract didn't count against the team's salary cap, but the team was forbidden to re-sign that player. That's why it happened.

If you want to talk about "shameful", look at Shanny. Exercising his "player's option" on his contract to stay with the Wings, because he knew there was no way in hell he would be able to get that much money playing for any other team in the league. And he conveniently made that choice, after the period in which teams were allowed to cut players was over and done. That's fricking shameful.

9. detteam

detteam All-Star

Superstarov

I understand the 'business' aspects of the deal.

My comment was in regard to 'karma'.

10. Superstarov

They really had no choice is what I'm saying.

It's not like they stood him up for a date or something.

It's the face of the new NHL. More like the NBA. Less personal. Less honorable. Less likeable.

11. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Dett, Darren was a fighter with average skills, a team and fan fav. Who would you release to keep him, rhetorical q.? The real mystery is how we managed to keep Shanny and the others. I'm sure some teams showed them some big money. Must to have been loyalty.