FIBA World Championship Games

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by mercury, Jun 21, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It didn't take Darko long to declare himself the best player on his team. Or think it anyway.

So far tonight he has taken 17 shots only 2 minutes into the 3rd quarter, while the rest of the team has taken just 20!

Oh yeah, he's made 5 of those. Gasol and Spain giving them a lesson at the moment.

EDIT: Make that 20 to 21.

3. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

I just looked on my cable guide.

At noon on Saturday (8/26), FSN will be showing Slovenia vs China, and ESPN2 will be showing some FIBA game, the guide doesn't say which game it is.

4. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Looks like ESPN2 is playing some stupid Poker game.

FSN is playing Serbia vs Spain.

5. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

You know I cannot believe how hard it is to find a schedule for these games. ESPN and NBATV are listing games on their websites that they don't have on. I didn't even know FSN had games on. NBATV is putting up a schedule on the botton of their screen that they are only following hit or miss. How am I supposed to record games for later viewing if not a single tv provider can set a schedule? It's driving me crazy.:mad:

6. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It could be that we do have a systematic talent recognition problem. Or it could be that we are 1) very good at identifying players that will excel in the international game (evidenced by signing Darko, Arroyo, and Delfino in the first place -- not to mention Okur and Rebraca) and 2) NOT very good at finding ways to match the very specific skill sets of those players with a coach and/or system that will also work well in the NBA.

Either way, wouldn't the conclusion be the same? namely: if you aren't change your system to match the skill sets of your players, then why sign players who won't excel within your system in the first place?

all it seems to do is create a kind of vicious circle wherein:
    the players don't excel -> the coaching staff loses confidence in them -> the player gets resentful/loses self-confidence -> the player performs even worse when he does get opportunities -> the coach feels confirmed in his initial lack of confidence in the player -> the player sinks into a bottomless spiraling abyss of nine inch nails, body piercings, and absynthe...

7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Yep, except I think it has less to do with being international, and simply being players that the coaches didn't want from the beginning. Once a coach doesn't like a player, it's hard to get them to change there mind, and clearly LB never wanted Darko, hated Okur's outside game, and Flip wanted Mo as his guy when he came in.

Until Joe gets a coach that likes his players from day one (notice how nice Sheed and LB got along) this problem will continue.

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

i think it could be both, 16.

By the way, by "international", I didn't meant to imply that Larry, or Flip, or Joe has anything against these players on the basis of their being, literally, from a different country. I was referring more to the different styles and skill sets that come with being brought up within the context of the international game and those skill sets are ones that the PIstons haven't done a very good job of integrating into their various systems over the past few years.

9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

if i had a million opportunities, i would take bosh a million times.

10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

did you even read the question?? so are you telling me based on what you have seen in the world championships so far you'd take bosh over darko?? that means not what they did in the nba just judge them on this one tournament.

11. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nigeria has some decent players- some of them are real athletic freaks, Muoneke and Ibekwe rock the boards!

12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

after watching darko today it only affirms what i said. i'd take bosh any day over darko. his 18/15 today is not indicative of how terrible he looked, missing wide open dunks, picking up terrible fouls, and making stupid decisions like saving the ball under spain's basket which forced his teammate to pick up his 4th foul and sit on the bench.

he still looks soft, unintelligent, and lazy.

13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Just watched the first half of USA-Australia on tape, before switching it off once the US went up huge at halftime. It was certainly a tale of two quarters--up 27-23 after one, the US outscored them 32-6 in the second! It was all about the USA defense, which was undisciplined and sloppy in the first quarter. They were gambling on steals in the halfcourt, getting beat in transition, not really doing anything right. But they switched to straight-up halfcourt lockdown D in the second quarter, and that sparked the huge run. They ended up forcing a lot more turnovers that way than they did with all their gambling in the first quarter. If Coach K can get through to them to "play the right way" on defense from the very beginning, they're going to be awfully tough to beat.

14. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

have you watched bosh play any?? besides the senegal game he's looked sucky. so no matter what you're going to pick bosh.

you picked darko having a semi bad game to base your decision on. your opinion of his game doesn't match up with others i've heard. i've only heard that he had a bad shooting night. 18 and 15 and 3 blocks isn't lazy by any stretch. he's not even fouling a lot when you look at how many blocks he's getting. your bias is showing through very clearly. this is obviously a question that you are unable to answer.

so you'd take the

bosh 6.7 pts, 4 rebs, 0.3 assists

over

darko 16.2, 9.3 rebs, 1.8 assists, 2.8 blocks

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Bosh looked really good in the first half against Australia today. He ended up with 12 points and 9 boards in only 18 minutes played for the game.

16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hmmm... sounds like the makings of another Stat Sprocket Article! :thumb:

17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I caught the second half. thankfully i didn't get to see the 2nd quarter. this australian team isn't as good as years gone by, but they did play pretty well for the tournament, beating brazil and barely losing to greece and turkey. bogut stepped up as the tourney went on which was good to see.

the US were on fire from deep. as has been mentioned this was an area that was sorely lacking in athens. i mean guys like battier and miller were knocking down treys! if they can continue shooting that well from the outside they will be tough to beat. plus they pretty much got whatever they wanted in the paint. we were missing a lot of big guys in this tourney and it was exploited well.

i don't think gerwitzki will be able to knock you guys off. it should be a rout.

18. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

Geez what can i say... Aussies got robbed!! They were unstoppable when they scored and should have won this game if it werent for some lucky 3 point shooting from battier (80% ?%$@%). :frusty: They should have finished off the yanks when they had the lead in the 1st but let them back into the game ... and then got smashed. Beaten by a better team on the day i guess. If we had shane heal and andrew gaze in the team along with luc longley then the result may have been much different. :pound: :pound:
    I just hope that team america can win the championships so i wont feel so bad. Good luck to them.

19. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is the attitude that gave the US team a big ego prim madonna rap...
    respect... humility... intellegence... skills... that's the new approach

20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

The next game on the schedule is Wednesday at 6:30 AM EST
    We're playing the German Dirks... er squad