FIBA World Championship Games

Discussion in 'Other Hoops Talk' started by mercury, Jun 21, 2006.

1. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:amen:
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Phoenix Suns (less Steve Nash and Boris Diaw).

The reason that the Pistons would be a good team is all the Americans on it. The owners would have to look at the added benefit of marketing when making the decision.
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Anyone that wants to see the game for themselves, it's on now on ESPN2 (4:00 EST)
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I loved the cocky comment from Lebron, "They don't know what to do" and then the Greeks started shooting the lights out.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I totally agree with you. I love watching FIBA style b-ball esp Greece, Spain, and Argentina. I feel like a bad American b/c i could care less that USA lost, and in a way am kinda happy they did. This will force them to take a hard look at the way they play. They're not fundamentally sound, and they don't play as a team. This whole tournament just made me dislike the NBA even more.
  6. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

This just in the NBA cannot say they have the best players and not win the world championship with argurably 2 of the best players in the world (Lebron and Wade). I am very dissapointed and the NBA is a farce as far as talent is concered. "Great players and "great coaches" can only be called great when they can adapt to different playing styles and rules. We suck and I want to be the one to say it. My two cents.
  7. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

It's amazing how human Wade and Lebron looked when they aren't allowed to charge and travel.

Though, what really suprised me was how bad their D is.

Note to Flip, run the pick and roll. Rip, CB, and Sheed should be running it on every possesion.
  8. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I doubt it. NBA players are making gobs of money. Deep down, I think most of these "superstars" could care less about international competition. Same reason why the U.S. team loses the Ryder Cup every two years in golf.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

They didn't get blown out... The team is just getting started together unlike most Fiba trained teams....
    I'm surprised at the negativity... they've rolled up to this point and had a bad game to a very deciplined team... I doubt that Grece could win 3 out of 5 against USA... let's not throw them out with the bath water just yet.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The US loss was fundamental. The NBA is show, expecially now with the rule changes. We have great one on one slashers. Greece took Wade and all down with fouls and played deep into the bench. We didn't have Arenas, Kobe or Chauncey for top, top shooters. We didn't have a Ben. Artest or Tay to play big time D. We had no real defensive standouts on the team.

Our guys mostly are average shooters and average free throw shooters. That starts with our program from early on in the US. The NBA turns it nose on a real team like the Pistons with the rule changes and you have what you have. With all that hype, who was the rule go-to guy at the end? Anthony??
  11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Don't think they can even beat the Argentines. Not even bronze. What a shame!

FIRE DAVID STERN!!!

GO SHOCK!
  12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Yeah Ok?
  13. roscoe36

This is great, from Hoopshype...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA090206.03C.COL.BKOmonroe.bowen.2fab2b9.html

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Earlier when someone suggested who would be voted off I chose Brad Miller. Interesting why Miller was kept; because of 3 point shooting?

Coach K deserves some of the blame for the teams collapse, but so should the NBA players.

Bruce Bowen by himself couldn`t have saved this team from defeat. Only a team effort to play defense would have been effective.
  15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

One loss by six points... big deal.
    The athletisism is what makes this team good.
    The FIBA teams are not dominating the USA by any stretch.
    I don't think we should expect them to not have a bad game once in a while.... they crushed everyone else.
    The right system is in place now... we have a squad comited to several years... they still can add/subtract a couple pieces (shooters and defender)...
    What's needed is more time working out the FIBA kinks and understanding competition strategies.
    Shame on people for jumping all over this team... they sacrificed their home life for us... they played very well for the most part.
  17. roscoe36

I didn't expect the Americans to lose to Greece, but I didn't expect them to win it all either. The Olympics are the big stage for US basketball.

From an "outside the US" perspective, it is a big deal for a lot of countries when they can knock of what was an absolutely dominating super power in international basketball. Canadians are really familiar with this from our battles with the Russian Hockey Teams in International Tournaments.

One thing is sure. This fuels Stern's desire to start a European league. It comes down to whether or not he will try the same superstar marketing approach, or play to the existing "club/city/national loyalty" passion of the Euro fans.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Interesting perspective... I guess the US team is the superbowl of other teams.
    These Euro Intenational teams have earned the respect of the American audience.... we now understand the importance of "team play"... hopefully this will help transend to to the American coaches (from AAU to the pros)... we now have a new mission... IMO it starts wih defense... the US squad scored something like 102 pts p/game and still did not bring home the gold... if you want to be technical, they easily could be called the silver medalist.

This is a very young team that is only gonna improve (compared to Argentina & Greece)... the entire team (especially coaches) has learned how to compete in the international environment.... personally I'm very proud of how well this young team has responded.
    Bigger and better the next time.:usa2:
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I hope this series will help to make that so. In the past we have tended to blame the American team rather than give any credit to the quality of the competition. That was easy given the way some of the more recent teams played, but I think our first reaction is to blame the losers rather than crediting the winners. And that won't help develop any sort of interaction with international markets.
  20. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Looks like Spain won the gold... the Greek team played awful defense.
    Spain was on fire from the perimeter (which we lacked)... this opened up the inside for Spain...
    Spain had the P&R figured out... they ran a lot of zone.
    Greece didn't shoot nearly as well as they did against the US.
    All without Gasol... impressive.