Fire Curry.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Without firing Curry, no moves makes any sense. If we sign Dyess, Curry will overplay him and leave nothing for the playoffs.

Any youth we keep - either will be overplayed - or get shelved often during the season.

There is no middle ground with Curry. Either he wants to play a guy, and overdoes it, or he does not want to play a guy - and gives the guy no consistent role on the team.

Adding players? Not a single player added to this team will work with Curry in charge. See above. Curry will mess up anything any GM gives him.

While on the subject, no, Curry can not cry about the hand dealt.

Before he messed it all up - he had a ton of tools to win with. A top midrange shooter in Rip - who played the playoffs with a groin injury that never healed after getting misused as a starting small forward.

A good all arond player in Sheed - who played the playoffs basically on one leg - an injury suffered from pairing him with Kwame or Dyess - forcing him to be the guy to sprint down the floor repeatedly on transition D.

I will not blame him for Tay, as Tay suffered an injury at the end of the season. However - one could easily question how Curry mismanaged a season so that Tay was not getting rested for the playoffs that last weak. Why was he out there getting injured instead?

Stuckey had never played a whole season. When his play started getting a bit ragged, and it became more obvious by the day Stuckey needed some time off - Curry just played him all the more - never letting up on the guy. I'd say he entered the playoffs about 60%.

AI / Rip on the bench / small ball? This was all complete nonsense. There was never any reason to go away from an AI / Rip backcourt. Never. Lets review: We started out the season with Billups, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed as our starters. Very logical. A point guard, check. A strong scorer at shooting guard, check. A small forward with some height who could could post up a lot of opposing small forwards, check. A power forward who was fleet of foot - meaning he could do the dirty work on defensive rotating - and transition D - allowing Sheed to keep his energy level up. (and just as important - avoid injury from sprinting around to much at his older age.) And a darn good defensive center. This day and age, with the mix of centers in the league to guard - Sheed is about as good as you can get on defending the opposing center from scoring around the basket.

And scorers - four of them, with a good offensive rebounder in there to give you lots of 2nd chances if you miss a shot.

So we traded for AI. So what. Good scorer. Not the ideal point guard - but neither was Billups. Billups was better as a point guard - but AI was not exactly swiss cheese. AI is a top scorer in this league - and he had lots of guys to pass the ball to. (Making any point guard look pretty good.)

Now our starters should have been, and remained all season long: AI, Rip, Tay, Amir, Sheed. Rip and Sheed would have avoided their injuries. Our record would have allowed us to rest Tay for the most part that last week. Most likely, we would have been entering the playoffs pretty healthy. And one of the top seeds to boot.

Now, what would our bench have looked like? After Dyess came back: Bynum, Stuckey, Afflalo, JMAX, Dyess, Kwame.

Last year, it was imperative to get minutes for Stuckey after he came back from his hand injury - to get him prepared for the playoffs. But this year? He already had last year. All he needed was 20 minutes per game to develop. To develop into a good, solid backup point. And Bynum? He could have earned some time. Enough to make him a good solid 3rd point guard. There are 48 point guard minutes. AI did not have to play anymore than 28 of those , with Stuckey and Bynum getting the rest.

Shooting guard. Rip 28 minutes, keeping him fresh all year. Afflalo, about 14 minutes per game, on average. Stuckey could have played the last bit of shooting guard, leaving some room for Bynum and Stuckey to get paired in the backcourt here and there.

Small forward backup? Play Afflalo there some, leaving even more time for Bynum in the backcourt. Keep Tay's minutes down to 30. Still need another backup small forward if you want to use Afflalo a lot at his best position, shooting guard. So use Amir, JMAX, and Sheed for your front court upon occasion. When these three are paired up - you simply have a pair of forwards in. Which one plays which role would vary depending on matchups. It has been my observation that the two manage to matchup pretty darn well when played as a pair of forwards. (although it never happened this season. They got paired as center / power forward several times - something I never much liked though.)

Power forward. Amir and JMAX. Amir gets into foul trouble, play JMAX more.

Center. Sheed. Dyess and Kwame to back him up. Sheed only needed to play the first 9 minutes of each half and the last 6 minutes of the game - 24 minutes per game. This leaves 24 minutes for Dyess and Kwame to split.

Now, AI would have been a bit mad about playing less minutes. But not as mad as for getting benched.

We could have arrived in the playoffs with a fully healthy team (assuming lighter minutes would have kept AI well enough), with a top seed, and with a rotation that had been steady all year.

And we would all still be tuning in to Piston basketball - although we would have just completed a first game series sweep at this point and would be awaiting to see who our next opponent would be.

2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Only thing what matters is JD's opinion and it seems to be supportive to MC.

3. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

I haven't seen Sheed sprint down the floor on transition D in I don't know how long.

But yes I agree, Curry must go.

4. max

max All-Star

I have not heard much about Curry getting fired. The concensious seems to be that Curry will be back but has Dumars said anything yet?

Well - we were 22-12 at one point before all the experimenting. Of course some injuries forced Curry to play certain players where they were supposed to play.

People knock Amir for blowing the starting job but how much time did he really get with it. Certainly not nearly the same slack as Stucky got at PG. Maybe Amir would have gotten better as the season went on.

Yes our best backcourt was AI/Rip and we beat some pretty good teams with that. Now what was accomplished? Dumars must have his doubts about leaving Stuckey as the leading PG.

5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I give him a B+.

6. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Fire Curry and bring in Avery Johnson then pick up some players from New Orleans because guaranteed they are going to want to let some heads go after the embarrassing 121-63 loss to the Nuggets yesterday.

I like to see Chandler in pistons uniform and then do whatever necessary to get Bosh. Top it off with Artest and we may have a contender again.

Next year's lineup:

- Stuck or Will Bynum as starting pg (preferably Will B because he plays more like a point)
    - Rip or Stuck
    - Ron Artest
    - Chris Bosh
    - Tyson Chandler

After all this, Joe and new management needs to re-instill a hard nose defensive mindset in this team.

Heres to dreaming we get back to greatness.
    [​IMG]

7. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Firecurry.com?

Interesting website, firecurry.com. Get on board and sign the petition.

| FIRE CURRY!!!

8. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Re: Firecurry.com?

I'm on board!

Why has all of the Laimbeer talk died down? I think he'd be a great coach. Bring back that hard working, jaw breaking, defensive mind state!

9. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Curry is not going anywhere. Joe will not address the matter cause he feels he doesn't have to.

10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

An AI/Rip starting backcourt was 6 out of 14 this season. That's a win percentage of 43%. We're out of the playoffs with those numbers.

http://www.pistonsforum.com/detroit-pistons-general-discussion/9419-stat-lab-20.html#post200002

This lineup started 3 times all season, and won once. How does that small of a sample size convince you that this should have been our lineup all season long? Our best lineup (Prince, Sheed, Dice, Rip, Stuckey) played 11 games together, and won 8 of them. That's 73%, and 3rd in the East. Wouldn't this have been a better lineup?

He got 24 games starting, a whole third of the season. We did go .625 in those games, though. That's the 4-spot in the East. Hmmm...

See above. Our best starting backcourt was Stuckey and Rip or Stuckey and AI.

11. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

Wasn't it last year that JD held the "no sacred cows" press conference, almost immediately after the game?

Right now, not a thing from Joe....

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think it is just assumed now.

13. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

No. 15 pick could prove lucky if it's another Rodney Stuckey | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

He expects to be back.......

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'm under impression that both Dice and Sheed won't be back.

I have thought throughout this season: did they play slowest halfcourt game b/c of MC told so or b/c of tempo was dictated by aging dice and sheed?

Players' abilities dictate coaches' decisions. It is one of fan myths here ( and well represented) that a "good " coach can form anything from players or players are capable of executing anything, coach just has to point out.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

More of an up-tempo team? No shhhh....

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

How many teams play at a fast pace because of their C and PF? Most teams tend to play fast because of their guards and forwards.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but the Tay, Rip & Stuck fast break is about as bad as it gets in the L. The only comparably bad trio I can think of was the Tay, Rip & CB trio this one replaced.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The bigs should rebound and ignite the fast break with the first pass.

Curry had the personel to do it if it would have really been something that he was interested in doing.

Our bench in particular was well suited for it. Bynum/Afflalo/Sleepy Smurf/ Amir/ Kwame.

18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's encouraging actually. When he's silent, Joe's usually up to something. He's like a 3-year old that way.

19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:pound:

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I wonder what Joe dislikes more, 8 seed 4 game termination. Or 2 seed 12 game termination ?