Fire Curry.

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Lee356, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Re: Firecurry.com?

LMAO

Someone signed under Iverson's name. :pound:
  2. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I signed the petition, thanks for posting it.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I don't miss any games. And I review them after watching the first time. Believe me, before the injury, Sheed was called upon to sprint a whole lot.

And it stunk. Any coach worth one darn would not have a 34 year old player of Sheed's weight sprint that much. Let a younger, lighter guy do that job on transition D.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you're getting paid $13.68 million per year to play basketball, you better be willing to do a whole lot of sprinting. If you're too old or too out of shape to sprint, then it's time to retire.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Amir starting to begin the season (7 games I believe): Not one game where our starters got behind, and we ended up losing. In other words, our starting unit never lost us a game. (specifically looking at the first and 3rd quarters.)

Let me be clear. We either won the combined 1st and 3rd quarters, or we won the game, or both. There was simply no reason to change things.

Other combinations? We would lose the combined 1st and 3rd, and lose the game plenty enough. Anyone want to go do a study on this, go ahead. But you will find that regardless of who started sometimes, we would end the game with the Dyess / Sheed combo - and lose one close game after another. We would specifically lose due to the other team knowing full well that we would go to this combo - and attack us hard inside knowing we could not cover the middle with two slow old men in there at the same time.

Note, this last statement can't be proved by the shot selection of the other team - because often we compensated by tightening up our defense toward the middle, conceding wide open outside shots. So you might see several straight outside shots made, and you might think it had nothing to do with poor interior D. But it just means you did not take time to study the film of the game. I know, its not everybody's hobby to study film. I really wish more people would take the time.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The first two losses with AI for us, Curry attempted to remove Afflalo from the rotation. A losing move. Then he played Afflalo, we won - and then he changed the starting unit going to the non-sensical pairing of Kwame and Sheed. There went the interior D. Kwame is a true center - and a pretty decent defensive center - one who can move pretty well for his size. But, he is still a center, and can't move all that quickly. Meanwhile, Sheed has slowed with age, and even with two healthy legs, can't move that quick anymore. He does move well, with lots of experience, just not that quick with his feet anymore. Very bad combo in terms of defensive rotating including cutting off cutters and drivers to the hoop. And unlike the first 7 games, yes, we immediately started losing games just because our starting unit was poor. (Note, when first formed, we had some games on the immediate schedule where it made sense - but that was pretty much it for the season. The rest of the way, we simply never needed two centers in at the same time. You want to argue semantics? Just replace "center" with slow people.

Our best lineup - Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Dyess, Sheed? Only if you want to wear Dyess out by playing him as a starter and injure Sheed by making him sprint back on transition D - cause Dyess sure can't. Kwame, being younger, could at least do some of that for us. Dyess, no way. He could run back, but with absolutely no lateral movement could in no way actually effect any of the plays. (no lateral movement means you are going to go straight ahead in whatever direction your momentum is carrying you- and changing direction is a three step process - slow down, then turn, then proceed forward again.) This particular starting unit is largely to blame for ruining the season for us.

(with small ball also being a huge factor, as it caused Rip's injury.)

I will respond to the rest in another post.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, we ended up doing ok in the games Amir started. What if Curry had stuck with it from the beginning of the season? One thing about studying film. You tend to notice things a bit more. Like Amir getting more comfortable with his offense after starting those first 7 games of the season. And then watching his offensive game take a major step backwards as Curry all the sudden began to forget to play him much. We did not have Amir consistently "coached", like Curry said he would do. He did not get a regular role where his skills could build thru the season. Sure he got into some foul trouble, but the fact is, in the 2nd game of the season where he only had 1 foul, Curry still limited his minutes. The fouls were only a convenient excuse for Curry not to play the guy, not any actual reason. If a guy actually fouls out, thats a reason not to play him. Otherwise, let him play, let him get comfortable with his role, and the fouls will diminish. (Refer to when Amir played a lot at the end of last season with Flip. The fouls diminished greatly. I am not making this up. Just simple observation of not only Amir, but player after player who starts out in the league prone to foul trouble.)

Since Stuckey, Rip, and AI played in so many games as a trio, its awful hard to compare as to who did what as far as guard combos. Small ball was horrid. Rip getting pushed around. Tay getting pushed around. Lack of rebounding. And the only big in the game who could stop the opposing power forward from scoring in transition was Sheed. Which meant small ball, just like trying to pair two slow people, hurt Sheed, making him try to do too much. (Not just on transition D. Think about it. A power forward is trying to come in near the basket to score. Tay is not going to do a thing about it since he is too slight - so Sheed has to race over - while he is already trying to contend with the opposing center trying to keep him out of the paint. It just does not work. There are people who want to call this lack of effort on someones part. Study the film. Its not lack of effort. It is an impossible situation to put a player in.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Here is another way to look at it. Curry makes no sense at all. Proof:

He told us that he had to start Kwame with Sheed instead of Amir with Sheed, saying we were too light with Amir and Sheed - since we had gotten lighter in our starting unit when AI replaced Billups. Everyone following the logic so far? Pretty flimsy, makes little sense, but I am sure some of you out there think it might sound half way reasonable.

So then what does he do? He replaced Kwame with Stuckey. But Kwame had replaced Amir. So in effect, now Stuckey had replaced Amir. Everyone following that so far?

Question: Ok, so anyone who believed Curry when he said we had to go bigger when he removed Amir - do you still believe him when he ended up going much, much smaller than we originally started with?

There was never any reason to remove Amir from the starting unit. Losses where he started were caused by who finished games. And as we all know, that was seldom Amir.

These non-sensical moves (including who he chose to finish games with) ruined the season. Not the x's and o's so much, since when you put a unit out there with all the right talents, they can often find a way to play winning basketball with or without a coach telling them what to do from moment to moment.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

MC was very good with X's and O-No's.
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

[​IMG]
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is that a Billups or Iverson jersey?
  12. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Billups! ROAR!

I think that is Buckeyes#1
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Last I checked, a person's ability to sprint did not have anything to do with how much he is getting paid.

By your logic, we should have never let Ben Wallace play for us, as he was seen walking up the floor quite often, even at 28 years old.

Sheed was not too old or out of shape to sprint - he was too old period, and too big, to sprint time after time during a game. And note, he did as asked - right up until he pulled the calf muscle.

Although you may see no value to having a healthy Sheed for the playoffs, I do. Even if he can't sprint back on transition D everytime.
  14. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Asking a basketball player to sprint during a game doesn't seem out of line to me.

I would guess Rasheed himslef is more to blame for the injury. It may be more related to conditioning than coaching.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

There is indeed nothing wrong with having a guy sprint in a game. But not all game long. Not if that player is not built for it.

Something will give, and it did.

Ben Wallace would have been a much more effective player for us if he could have sprinted back down the court everytime. But he was not built for that. And we did not ask him to do that. This does not lessen how valuable Ben was for us in many areas. He just could not continually sprint down the floor.

Keeping Sheed healthy, and well rested, means he can occasionally go to the post and do some damage. That he can be a pretty darn effective interior defender. Matter of fact, Sheed does a whole lot well, when healthy and rested. You are trying to tell me that you want none of that - and just want to see him sprint back on transition D, using up all his energy, and risking his health - just so you can get away with playing Kwame or Dyess along side him?
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed only has to run 3/4ths of the length of the court at any point in time, so sprinting that should have been doable.