FIRE the Fords!!!

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by detteam, Oct 2, 2005.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

From the 'Why Mooch has to go!!! thread:

Mooch isn't the worst NFL coach in the league. The real problem starts at the very top, as you alluded to. Bill Clay's having a hard enough time running his inherited business, and 40 years of $%%%%%ty Lions football shows he's inept at running that show too. I was pissed at Barry when he abruptly cut out, but over the last 5 years I've come to understand why he did.

The Lions will always suck until the Ford family sells the franchise...but the catch22 is, as long as the Ford's own it...it won't draw an attractive offer from a potential buyer. If the Ford's were truly loyal to Detroiters and grateful for all they have reaped from their labors, they would sell the team to the highest bidder as soon as possible. I'm sure it would make long-time Lions fans everywhere ecstatic and would do much to awaken the team!

Until that day comes, the Ford's will be happy to accept their 8 yearly donations from the unwitting via: tickets, suites, concessions, and parking.

I have vowed to never again attend a Lions home game until the Fords are out of the picture.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Selling the team

The Fords ARE loyal to Metro Detroiters. They loyally accept their money eight times a year like you said. I wonder what kind of cut they'll get for the Super Bowl. I don't know much about these things so I'm not sure what benefits they'll see.

I don't see much changing until more people do what you're going to do: refuse to spend money on the Lions. As it stands now, people like going down to Ford Field. It's something to do in the wintertime. The Lions have never had trouble drawing fans/money. Until people refuse to go to the game, nothing much will happen. And sports fans ain't all that organized. Look at Cubs fans. They draw well every season and haven't won a World Series title since 1908.

3. BigDaddy

BigDaddy First Round Draft Pick

The problem is we as fans care to much and a mutiny ain't gonna get put together.There will always be the hopefulls like you said look at the Cub fans.I just wish the Fords would show the same care.They can run a business well but running this football team well they suck imo.Look how long they been milking ticket prices after how many playoff appearances in the last 50 years?

I went to the first game at Ford Field more to see the new digs than anything even though still holding out hope for a win.I will not go again until something changes as in owners or when Jr. takes over maybe he will show some different type of commitment to bringing this team some respectability.

But with the roster this team has there is no excuse whatsoever this year and you can't lay the blame all on Joey smiles.
    When's the next draft??Looking forward to the next top 10 pick.

4. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The fans need to stop going to the games. If you bought season tickets then start going to the games with brown paper bags on their heads with eye holes cut out and words written across the fore head stating: SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!! ,WE STINK or PLEASE SEND A REAL NFL COACH !! 20,000 people with bags on their heads on national tv would turn up the heat to get this crap turned around.

5. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

paper bags

The paper bag coment got me thinking how bad could it get.

The broadcasters will start having their faces blurred and games will be done with a voice over

Every joey td someone has to unwillingly trade in a chevy and take a ford

Tom Izzo stops talking to Mooch he doesnt want the loseing to rub off

Detroit sets the guiness book of records for the most fans to ever cry at a game

Mike Illitch buys the lions so he can own the two worst franchises in modern day sports

goodnight i'll be here all week

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

For some reason I don't think it's the Fords. Its the GMs as well. The Silverdome contract wouldn't let us by talent.[no box revenue] So the Fords bought their way out of the Silverdome contract and built a new frickin' stadium! That wasn't cheap. Now if the Fords insisted on Joel then maybe they should let the football guys do it, alone.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

What if things got so bad the league had to step in and hire a GM and coach for the Fords. I bet Tagliabue could find us a good GM and coach. Like you say the Fords wouldn't care as long as they got their green.

8. detteam

detteam All-Star

The league doesn't have that option. Only the fans have that option.

As history has taught us repeatedly, change only comes with dissension and ultimate revolution.

Lions fans have suffered far too long...Billy Sims & Barry only prolonged our agony. Who would have thought that Wayne Fontes would be held as the Lions coaching messiah over the course of the last 20 years?

S**t always rolls downhill.

The time has come for change.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

You're so right.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ford not the problem

I just posted this on detnews, but figured it was relatent here as well, and I'd never be able to find it again at the other site...

I just don't buy it that the Ford family is the reason we suck. To say that they have no incentive to spend money on this team might be a fair statement given the fact that this team has sucked for so long, yet they still sell out every home game. But the fact is that the Fords DO spend money - whether they have to or not.

They are no farther away from the salary cap than the average team. They spent big bucks to bring in Mooch - then go fined another $200,000 for not doing it the right way. They built a brand new, and approx. 20,000 seat smaller (less revenue) stadium to bring the team back to downtown Detroit. They built a state of the art training facility. They haven't been shy about overpaying free agents to bring them to Detroit (Bly, Woody, Bryant, etc.).

If anything, WCF is guilty of being too hands off and too lenient with the people he puts in charge of the team. I think the Ford family wants to win just as much as the fans do.
    </B></B></B>

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Right, but he keeps hiring idiots who spend his money on the wrong things. That's on Ford. After 46 years you would think he could find a competent G.M.

12. jammertime

I agree. He hasn't hired the right people and he hasn't held the idiots he has hired accountable. Instead he gives them a 5 year contract extension. :confused:

I'm not saying WCF is blameless, but several people (mostly on detnews) have been saying to boycott the games because WCF is just lining his pockets and not spending any money to improve the team. That just isn't true. He is spending his money, he's just making poor decisions on who to spend it on (or letting others do it for him, as you pointed out).

I really don't care who owns the team, I just want the team to win some freaking games!!!
    :frusty:

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Me too. I'm 46 years old. They've won a single playoff game in my lifetime. It makes me sick that I can't make myself switch alliances. The Lions bring heartbreak, disappointment, and frustration to their fans almost every year. For crying out loud...the Fontes years WERE the Lions golden era. How pathetic is that? :hurt:

14. jammertime

Hahaha, I definately feel your pain. I've been a diehard sports fan since the day I was born.

I've liked the same sports teams my entire life - only 1 team per sport, no second favourites. I've never changed alliances and never will. Montreal Canadians, Detroit Pistons, Detroit Lions and Toronto Blue Jays. The same as my father. As long as they exist, I'll be a fan.

The Lions are the only team out of all of them that have never won a championship in my lifetime. In fact, every other team has one at least 2 championships in my lifetime. Yet I'd say the Lions are probably my favourite team out of all of them.

Every single year I, like many other Lions fans, get my hopes up in the offseason thinking "maybe this will be the year". Not even dreaming of a championship necessarily. I'd be happy with starting at respectability and working our way up.

Every year they tease us with "potential", yet by the end of the season (and often times well before the end), they leave us all scratching our heads :confused: (or busting t.v.s and throwing remotes) :frusty: saying those infamous 3 last words:

SAME OLD LIONS!

15. detteam

detteam All-Star

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

New owner, that's harsh man. The son wasn't doing to bad with Wayneo.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Deja vous all over again. Are they gonna fire Marinelli this weekend?

Obviously only one thing can turn this turd around...new ownership/management. FIRE THE FORDS!!! and their butt-boy Millen.

18. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

At least I have T. Romo as my starting QB. That helped cancel some of yesterdays pain.
    Sure he's a Cowboy/enemy but he's a hand picked player. I own his stats.

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Yes[​IMG] [FONT=helvetica,arial]14.32%</B>[/FONT]
    No[​IMG] [FONT=helvetica,arial]85.68%</B>[/FONT]

11/23/06 01:03 PM
    Joey_Turkey_Day

I've seen this team lose on Thanksgiving Day to Josie and The %%%%%cats, I've seen them lose to the Bad News Bears, Raiders of the Lost Ark and To Bronco Billy. So I won't be surprised if today is the Day of The Dolphin. Joey Harrington might come out today and look like Joey Buttafucco with a smile on his face after banging Amy Fisher on the backseat of Matt Millen's 1967 Corvette.
    </B></B></B></B>n2Deep, Carson City, NV
    smile