Flip Fan Support Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, May 11, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Neither can Ben or Chauncey the offensive and defensive Captains.

The players have to be accountable. They refuse to be. That Milwaukee Game 3 still sticks in my craw, it was an embarassment as a Detroit fan to see such a poor effort. Yesterday, was an example of playing with fire and inevitably getting burned.
  2. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I mostly agree with themicrowave on the motivation issue, but I think the dynamic between Flip and Ben affects Ben's ability to motivate the team. Chauncey's the leader of the play-with-fire club, so he's not going to be much help, and so I guess the responsibility to fire up the team falls on Sheed.

If Flip weren't a "players coach", this wouldn't be an issue.
  3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Sometimes I wish Flip would pull a Riley and yell at the boys for their lack of effort. I remember watching a Heat game and the announcers were saying that Riley ripped into his team when they were jawing off, complaining to the refs and making excuses. He said something like this:

"Its not the referee's fault, stop looking for excuses out there and go play."

I'd like Flip to just lose his lid after a loss one game in the press conference and really saying what is on his mind.
  4. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Yep. I love it when a coach has one of those eye to eye "I talk - you listen discussions".
  5. roscoe36

Stuff like that, for a man like Flip who is a difficult situation (nothing less than winning) smells of fear and desperation.

Maybe he's not the leader. Maybe Chauncey or Ben are the leaders and Flip is like the co-Captain. If that is the case it's kinda ironic because when Ben flips out (pun intended), he's labeled a malcontent and a selfish player. When LB does it, he's a selfish, conniving escape goat artist.

It's a lose-lose proposition. 2nd round against a faker team and only one loss is not the time to overreact. You save motivational ploys like this for when they are most needed. Like when the Pistons lose a Game 6 in the Finals and have to come back home to take care of business.

We don't want them to get mad, but we do want them to get mad. If you listen to Flip's postgame press conferences, I think he's done a really good job of tempering wins with realistic appraisals of what can be done better, and when they lose, he doesn't bury his team under a lot of rhetoric. An even keel. THAT's what I want to see from a first year coach with a team expected to win it all.

The Avery Johnson "Little General" stuff becomes Larry Brown "My catheter came undone and I'm furious" when it's how a coach reacts to every loss.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

He needs to pick his shots better as to when to insert Mo. Mo shouldn't be on the floor more than 1.5 min. at 5 min. intervals
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

After tonight's game...can I get an AMEN for what I've been saying about Flip all along?
  8. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

All the bad individual performances considered,:amen:.
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I love Flip :puke:
  10. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

flip should have got at least a tech in this game. lots of bs calls no argument from flip. when is fino going to get his shot against lebron can't do no worse than mo evans. flip also had sheed in there too long when he was clearly injured. who's coaching the team flip or the players??
  11. roscoe36

Fino is not going to get a shot. You'll have to get over it.

I think Chauncey is coaching. Maybe we should get him a catheter.

Nice to see the spineless brigade all over this thread in a loss. Where were you bandwagon cats when we were winning?
  12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

rdang
    Flip ain't gonna say that. He might get the players pissed off at hin or something.

I'm still on the fence. Let's see what "adjustments" he makes in Game 5.
  13. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Once again that's a biased statement unsubstantiated by proof... Bron hasn't scored on Mo yet.... at least have some facts to back up your hatred.
  14. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

That's the problem. Flip needs to learn when to stop being the "player's coach" and when TO BE A coach.
  15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

For one, that's untrue. Mo Evans has had a few good defensive possessions against James, and a few where he was faked out of his shoes but James missed the shot, a few more where the help defense he required after James (or Murray, etc.) blew past him allowed James to pass to open jumpshooters, and some where he was flat-out embarrassed. I have been impressed by Mo's uncharacteristically high effort level at that end of the floor, and his improved footwork - but he's just too short, and his instincts too bad, to guard LeBron James. When you say things like "Bron hasn't scored on Mo yet", barely two hours after James jumped over Evans and hit a buzzer-beating 3, you clearly establish where you are: in a position as ridiculous and fanatical as bball jay's. But, Carlos Delfino is COMPLETELY irrelevant; whatever capabilities he may or may not have, he's not going to play. I think Rip Hamilton should guard James for as long as he can stay out of foul trouble, and Tayshaun Prince should take over at that point.

What is inexcusable is using Evans as a power forward down the stretch of a playoff game when Dale Davis is available, when Antonio Mc_yess is available, when Rasheed Wallace is questionable, when Kelvin Cato is available. Asking Evans to be a shotblocker, and the only thing standing between James and the basket after Ben's pulled to the high S/R, is bad coaching. Asking Evans to be a part of a game-winning offensive play when at least 5 more reputable options for ANY specialized task you need are sitting on the bench, is bad coaching. Keeping Ben Wallace, who Flip himself claims plays better with more minutes, on the bench for minutes at the beginning of the fourth quarter while both Sheed and _ice were giving away the game is bad coaching. Calling for Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton to try to take their men off the dribble and score on consecutive possessions - the same play that he's called all year long, to very limited success - is bad coaching. Letting pretty much everybody play soft and stupid on the offensive end while doing nothing but look pace around and make faces is bad coaching. Not taking advantage of mismatches like Damon Jones with disciplined, spread-floor postups at every possibility is bad coaching. Making only one major defensive adjustment and no offensive adjustments that were anything but reactive in the second half, and making Mike Brown look like a genius, is unacceptable for the coach of a supposedly championship-caliber team.

Flip is a "player's coach", meaning that when the players play well he gets the credit, and when they play poorly he can do nothing to stem the tide. Whatever the personnel, there's a reason he's well below .500 in the playoffs for his career, and can't win on the road. The Cleveland Cavaliers are simply not good enough to beat the Detroit Pistons, at any stadium in the NBA, when they only score 74 points.

My apology for the rant.
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ah, so Bron did hit a tough fade away on Mo... credit where due...
    Did you miss the part where I said putting Mo out there for Sheed was a mistake?
    ridiculous and fanatical?... hmmm... OK I see how ya are pal
    I'll take the high road this one time.
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

AHB I think you got it all correct this time.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Flip has not been required to make a significant coaching decision all season...the team has run itself all year. He was every bit as lost tonight as the players. He never seems to have any new looks for the opposition beyond an occassional trap or zone D. He's just bound and determined to ride his gifted starters as far as they'll take him, even on twisted ankles. Dice was missing tonight...why not throw Cato or DD in there for some minutes? Now that the playoffs are getting toward the serious part...Flip is showing his previous coaching colors...1st round and out!
  19. roscoe36

Flip has exceeded all hater expectations. He's made it out of the first round in Detroit. :laugh:
  20. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

on top of the trey that AHB pointed out you also must have missed LBJ's dunk in the 4th quarter of game 3 when Mo was slow to get back on defense and LBJ walked by him on the baseline for a wide open dunk.

But then again you won't tell the facts when you've got a Mo-biased agenda to hold up. :laugh: