Flip Interview

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by himat, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I don't have a problem with all the good things he said. From attending summer league games, I could tell that he was a reasonably good passer and has definite foot speed. Darko could succeed in Euroball playing on the perimeter. However, I just think if Darko is played as Kukoc was, he will be medocre at best in this league. Vlade Divac was a good player away from the basket, but never had to be forced to get in the paint. I'd much rather have Darko be the second coming of Divac than the next Kukoc.

2. Pwn Toney

Replay Radio IS scheduled recordings. I set it to start at Stoney and Wojo over the net everyday at a certain time, you can then archive the recordings or overwrite them every day, week, or whenever you like. You can also deterimine the bit rate so you can get it as high or low quality as you want to save space and drop shows on to your IPod, or Creative MuVo as I have. It sells online for $29 if I remember correctly, plus you get discounted purchases whenever there's a new release. Their updates also keep up with current trends in technology, it's not just a new release of the same software every year.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Well, I really like the guy (even though he was too scared to say MSU was going to beat U of M, lol).

Good interview. Seemed like they covered almost everything, although I don't think they addressed Maxiel, Johnson, or Acker & the summer league stuff.

Flip seems like he is going to utilize Darko and Delfino, or at least see if they can contribute. He is going to give the bench meaningful minutes.

He isn't going to force players to try to do what they can't do.

He seemed confident that they could handle Miami (did he mention Indiana?).

He talked about his poor playoff record (basically said they over achieved during the regular season, which I had mentioned in an earlier post as a possible reason). Doesn't mean it's true, of course.

I liked how he described the team as having a bunch of Kevin Garnett-like personalities.

He says Rasheed is highly motivated (did he say the most highly motivated on the team?) and that he lost 20 pounds over the summer.

Of course, we will need to see how it all works out, but I think the Pistons are in very capable hands. I'm sure others saw it totally different than I did.

4. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

In case anyone missed it, I went ahead an uploaded to my website:

http://www.pistonsbball.com/

good interview. Flip's interview was a breath of fresh air compared to Carlisle and LB's boooooring interviews. hopefully he maintains his candor and attitude all season long.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes. I'm so happy he said he was going to use the pick&roll a lot. Pacers, and Heat are done, man.

6. iamme

it's just that in LB's entire time in Detroit when did you ever hear talk about Darko's strengths and wanting to exploit them? i can't remember one. i remember LB saying that he wants Darko to do this, do this, etc. there's no doubt in my mind that Flip is the right coach for Darko right now, in light of how LB tore him down. perhaps, at the end of Darko's career, LB tearing him down will be good for him. sort of like in the army, how you get torn down and built back up.

question: do you need to have the radio streaming or does the program pick up the stream within it? for example the program i'm using basically records whatever is being pumped through the sound card. so i have to open up the browser to WDFN's streaming page and have the program record concurrently.

7. Pwn Toney

The program does it all itself. All you have to do is make sure your internet connection is active whenever you have shows scheduled and make sure the program is given permission to access the net (in your firewall). You also need to make sure you have enough disk space if you don't set it to overwrite shows after a week or burn your recorded shows to CD's and then erase or dump to your mp3 palyer. Easiest thing in the world.

8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

You Da Man!

THANKS!!!!

9. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Pick and Roll

This is indeed very good news. Pick and roll was used so sparingly last season and usually with mixed results.

10. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Delfino sighting

This thread is temporarily hijacked to add that Delfino will be making a personal visit at the Mariott in Detroit this Thursday.

Delfino back in the D

11. crastinator

crastinator First Round Draft Pick

motivated Rasheed

I believe he did say that Rasheed was the most highly motivated and he implied it was to avenge the lost rings (rather than, as Wojo cut in to ask, because of Game 5). He said Rasheed was 20 pounds lighter than he was this time last year, according to those that had been around last year. Looks like everybody is going to get what they want - a motivated Rasheed! who intends to, in Flip's word's, "be more aggressive"

Did he really say that last part or am I making that up? someone who listens to iamme's recording please clarify. I don't want that to be just wishful thinking.

12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

GREAT NEWS!

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I told many people that Rasheed is not turning to his "Portland ways". He's a Piston now, and the pistons work hard every night. Seriously a lot of people have been talking to much BS about Sheed' over this summer.

14. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

some of it deserved.

After last year's championship, Sheed came into camp fat and out of shape, he was rewarded by the Pistons with a nice healthy sized contract that summer. I know that I felt like Sheed should have "cared" a bit more than it seemed he did. He is paid over 10 million a year to be in shape and watching him play his way into shape for the first two months of the season grated on me last year. It's his job to be in shape.

It also bugs me and I know other Pistons fans to see Sheed not aggressive. He is very lackadaiscal at times and just sort of floats through some games. It's obvious to all Pistons fans that the Pistons are at their best when Sheed is aggressive and plays hard.

It's great to hear that Sheed is in better shape and wants to be more aggressive. But I know for one fan, "the proof is in the pudding" and "actions speak louder than words". I want to see Sheed play like he is telling Flip he will. If he does, I don't see anyone who can beat the Pistons this year, SA included.

IMHO, If Sheed has that aggressive attitude and is serious about winning this year, There is NO BETTER TEAM than the Detroit Pistons.

15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

And like I have been saying, all the critiscm he's getting has probably determined Rasheed to win, and I mean win BIG, REAL BIG.

16. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Flip

Interesting stuff.

Flip seems to be more open to going big. Having Ben at the ( 5) Dice at the( 4 )and Sheed at the (3). Flip also said that the players will dictate who plays by what they do on the court.

Flip also said that he will not make a guy do something he is not comfortable with. He wants guy's to play and play hard and not think too much.

17. iamme

cool, Low, thanks.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I thought Flip did well and should be impressed with the quality of questions posed to him by Detroit fans. There was a lot of Flip love, which is to be expected for what was a sanctioned "meet the coach" interview.

I wasn't terribly impressed with some of the things he said, and at the same time I am not going to jump off of any bridges because of that. It should be obvious to all that Flip is a completely different coach from Carlisle or Brown. He has his own concepts and ideas making 2006 a new start to some degree.

One thing bothered me if you read between the lines. By not making players step outside their comfort zone, you limit their growth. Ben may be ugly in the post trying to score, however a large part of our success was attributed to making Ben more involved on offense. By taking Ben "out of the offense" (because honestly, he doesn't really have any offensive comfort zone) will put us in more 4 on 5 half court situations. Just because it is not comfortable for him, does not mean that Ben should not get his touches.

The philosophy may work with Darko because of his need for confidence but some of the established players could end up regressing without the push to make them be complete players. Hopefully Flip has the strength of character to challenge his players and push them to great heights rather than settling into narrow roles.

Bottom line, I'll be a huge Flip fan if he has the entire team wearing pink leg warmers and candy bracelets enroute to a title. I just want wins and could care less how he gets them there.

19. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

That is the same thing I was thinking. You can't have everyone doing what they feel comfortable doing. Sometimes you have to push a guy out of his comfort zone. Like you said with Darko let him play his game but with the rest of these guy's you to challenge them. It is a team and someone has to sacrifice and do some of the dirty work. I remember guy's getting talked to last season about helping Ben on the boards because for about 3 or 4 games no one else was on the glass and we were getting killed.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Think about it that would be great agaist the Spurs. Sheed posting up Bowen so that he can be less of a threat defensively, and if they throw Duncan on him than who's going to gaurd Dyess? Mohammed, Rasho, Horry? I don't think so.