Flip is GONE!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 2, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'd rather everyone gets it out of their system so we can get back to optimism by the time the draft arrives. You don't want these sour grapes to linger because they will turn into whine. ;)

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I am not as pissed as last year, and especially 2 years ago. In fact I don't think I am angry right now.

3. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Sadly, I think you're right. Larry got fired because Davidson didn't like him, and Flip will stay because Davidson does like him. Hiring and firing coaches on this basis is not a formular for winning. What difference did it make if Larry Brown was egotistical, money-hungry, or even crazy? Scotty Bowman was an ornery SOB, but that never disqualified him from coaching the Red Wings.

4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Wade and Lebron`s baby steps as players is not a good analogy to the baby steps Lambieer should take as a head coach.

And Lamibs should sit one chair to the right, as the likes of Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, Sam Mitchell, Scott Skiles, Avery Johnson, Chuck Daly, Jerry Sloan, and many, many other successful coaches once did.

I bet if you asked Byron Scott if his stint as an assistant head coach helped him, I bet he would agree it did.

An in your face attitude would never be a smart move for a rookie coach with absolutely no NBA coaching experience.

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

As much as Larry Brown got under out skin sometimes. The guy always gave us the advantage in coaching. I was never worried about us not having the focus and drive to win under LB. The Pistons seemed to lose only to teams that just out executed them or were just as good under LB.

Flip makes me cringe. He got out coached by a youngster. He has the advantage in coaching 15% of the time. Not good enough. Bring in Larry, Hubie, or Fratello.

6. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

I know everyone is pissed off. I dreaded watching this whole series. I hated watching how slow Webber is/was. i hated chauncy taking ill 3's, but rejoiced when he made them. i hated watching V-ho flop time and time agin. i hated seeing a rookie point guard get more ref respect than a veteran team. I hated seeing rasheed flame out, even though i could feel why he did. i hated seeing dice get thrown out, which remonded me of what happened to Phoenix. i hated seeing Maxiell hold lebron back when he charged Dice. I hated seeing lebron get a slap on the wrist for elbowing Webber in the head. I hate the fact that the Heroes season is over. Most of all, I hate the fact that the NBA is turning into the WWF. Bye Chauncy, Webber, Dale, Rasheed, Dupree, Nazr, Murray and hunter. it was fun whle it lasted.

Last night i did something i have never done before. When the game ended I poured my beer out and went to bed. It was Michelob lager, too. Now, i am going to open a new beer and welcome some needed changes.

7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You are so right, and I wish you were not.

8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

So you think Bill as a rookie coach should be like Flip, only to pull a 180 and start being himself two years down the line?

Whether or not Byron thinks two years with the Kings helped him, it only applies when weighed against never coaching professional players. Bill is doing what Byron did in Sacramento right now, and then some on top of it.

You give me a successful coach that put in lots of time as an assistant and I will give you 5 assistant coaches that never took the next step.

So pardon me if I don't think time as an assistant counts as much as the numerous other traits Bill brings to the table. He's a motivator. And they are in short supply these days.

9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Oh, yeah. I hate the fact that we will have the hear the story about Mcdyess' depression.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

We needed passion to beat the Cavs and we didn't have enough. My top five on the passion list were............

1.) Sheed
    2.) Hamilton
    3.) McDyess
    4.) Maxiel

the rest were, IMHO lacking in passion to the point that it cost us this series.....................

11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I would throw Webber in that list too. He just isn't anywhere near the top 10 player he used to be.

12. Dlev59

I never said Bill would be like Flip.

I never said Bill should put in "lots" of time as an assistant.

I am simply saying, I believe it would be good on the job training for him, that`s all. It seems to be working for most coaches. Don`t you think?

He is a motivator OF WOMEN!!

That`s not to say he can`t motivate NBA players, perhaps, as an assistant he can learn from a good head coach the proper skills to utilize.......IN THE NBA.

Maybe, just maybe the NBA GM`s out there are thinking like me, and they see a potential head coach in Laimbeer, who will only get experience in an asst, position. Thing is, somebody has to hire him.

I hope if offered he would take that position.

13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Am I wrong in wanting a guy like Fratello here?

14. G-man

G-man Starter

While I buy the whole idea that Davidson is tired of seeing coaches moved due to money, his history is to move coaches regardless of the money, its what he does, its what he can do, most personally - to make a difference.

From a monetary standpoint the Piston roster has been very effectively maintained under the cap while still going to the EC Finals for 5 years. That run has paid off handsomely for Davidson and the team, (plus he already has more dollars stashed than God has Angels and he's not getting any younger). I don't think he'd think twice about pulling the trigger if that's what it takes to put the right coach on the floor for next years roster.

Lamb is already under contract to Davidson, is already an employee. I'd prefer Porter at this point and I hope they give him some real serious thought, the players like him, he understands the teams dynamic and it would likely make for the smoothest transition, no reason to toss the baby with the bath water.

But nor would I be surprised to hear that Dumars makes a serious push for Izzo, if I was going back three steps. Thinking I'm 2-3 years removed from another serious run while I develop a coach and a new blended roster, Izzo would be a good fit. Probably be given more slack than most by the organization and the impatient fans.

It's not an indictment of Flip Saunder if he gets shuttled, but for all the hoo-ha regarding his mental dexterity - he looks like all "brain farts" to me folks. There were moments in this series where he should've stood up and pulled a technical, should've insulated his players regarding both calls and no-calls and he just didn't do it. He was out of sync with keeping the players emotions in sync, he's not supposed to stand next us as we watch them come unglued, he's supposed to be the glue.

Flip was given a great opportunity and wasn't able to close the door on it, it wasn't all him, but it was enough of him. The Piston roster of the last seasons was surely a tough one to master, but thats what he signed on for, to take that roster an go get another championship. Even though I think he's in decline and overpaid, Big Ben on LeBron could've really changed the Cav series outlook.

The Pistons have two first round picks in a pretty deep draft, Webber would be okay for another year coming off the bench for about 3M. Dyess is still a very valuable big but I really expect Sheed & Nazr to get moved, maybe Delfino too. Flip Murray should opt out. Davis is a goner.
    That's 3 bigs likely gone, maybe we get one in return in trade, still leaving us down 2.

Playing in our division the Pistons need a bonafide low post banger and will need another swingman. No matter what the opinions are regarding Zach Randolph, with the Blazers taking a big in the draft I wouldn't be surpriesed to see Dumars make a move to get him. He's young, has legs, soft hands and is coachable. Plus the word is he rolls a mean blunt. :)

15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Whoa there.

You watched Bill play right? Surely, if you didn't sit near the Pistons bench during the era, or have the pleasure of following this team during his days, you at least saw the videos right?

He's a motivator of men. He was the voice in the timeouts when things got rough in the games that counted. He motivated his teammates to stay strong. He motivated his opponents to lose their focus.

He takes a job coaching women and all of a sudden people act like he's never dealt with men. Way to typecast.

16. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

No.

But you ain't right. :pound:

lol

17. Dlev59

Oh yes I followed the team.

I wouldn`t say his vocal outbursts in the huddle during the "bad boys" era was an indication of his future coaching prowess.

The voice I heard more than his was Isaiah`s. And that voice was as a player, as a coach his motivation techniques would be different.

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I absolutely agree and was going to write that exact same thing before seeing yours. Five straight Conference Finals is far from mediocrity.

Would it have been nice to come away with more than 1 Championship during that time, absolutely. But One ring and 1 quarter away from a 2nd still isn't too bad for a 5 year stretch.

The problem is that we've been spoiled as Pistons fans and now we expect a Championship every season. That just isn't realistic. I can think of about 28 other teams that would love to have our playoff record.

19. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I think the difference in opinion here probably stems from the personnel we think will be on the floor next year.

It seems to me you want to compete for a championship next year, in which case you have a solid point concerning the experience factor.

I, however, am expecting a few years of rebuilding to take place before this team is in top form again. In this scenario I could care less if Bill has assistant coaching experience in the NBA. What I would value more from him is the kind of unwavering attitude and work ethic LB brought to this team in '03.

20. Dlev59

I agree.

That would be a good situation for Laimbs.