Flip is GONE!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Jun 2, 2007.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Amy, I want to echo what you have said. Yes, Flip is a problem. He can't make adjustments. His offense is non-existent when it counts.

But: We kept the same core guys 3 years in a row--that is an eternity in the NBA. So a young team comes along and gives us a whippin. Should not have happened. We did not need much to be in the finals.

Our team is not old absolutely, but we are old as a group. No youth in the mix. No speed. No quick perimeter defender. How serious can you be when you rely on 36 year old Hunter?

We have no youth on the front line. They get more and more tired as each series progresses.

We never brought in a scorer to help out on the droughts.

I put the blame on this one not on Flip but on the owner and Joe for not doing the little things to keep us at the top.
  2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I would disagree about putting all on Flip. The offense couldn't score because their legs were dead. If Tay averages his regular 15 points per game this is a different series. Flip mismanaged the players playing time and totally mishandled the bench. However, the D was effective (when Web wasn't in), except for the game 5 and 4th quarter of game 6. And that has as much to do with legs as with Flip.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

I disagree. Flip doesn't command respect from his team and he will never win a title because of it. The Pistons had some respect for Carlisle and they definitely respected LB. Flip was a big letdown and why the players tried to do it on their own.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Mikhail,

I don't blame Flip for us not being in the finals. I blame management for not providing him with some minor but necessary parts. We have had no perimeter defender in an era of soft rules and we lose Ben. Now at least get a perimeter defender. That is just one example. We have no team speed. Our bigs are old by league standards.

Flip has not shown that he has any concept of how to use his pieces offensively against good defenses. He does not make quick defensive adjustments.

Again, the real blame though is on management for not giving the Pistons just a few inexpensive parts to compete. I feel sorry for the players. And with a few minor additions, even with Flip, we would be in the finals.
  5. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Well, LB is one of the few coaches who can manage Sheed and earn his respect, so on that basis alone I think you have to give LB enormous credit for the 2004 championship and the near-championship in 2005. LB is superior to Flip in probably every phase of coaching. To say that the 2004 Pistons would have won with Flip is, to my way of thinking, the equivalent of saying that coaching does not matter.
  6. vincy4fish98

vincy4fish98 Bench Warmer

Or as I would say you don't give the keys to a Ferrari over to a bus driver, you just can't maximize performance.:pound:
  7. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

LA, I agree with most of what you are saying, with a couple of exceptions. I think that with a very good coach, this team could have beaten Cleveland and at least got to the finals. Whether we could have beaten the Spurs without the additional pieces you mention is another question.

On the other hand, haven't the Spurs pretty much stuck with the same core group that eked out a championship over the Pistons in 2005? They rely heavily on their own 36 year old defender -- Bowen. Parker is very young and has grown as a player, but Tim is two years older.
  8. Oracle

Oracle First Round Draft Pick

The Spurs were able to do it because the core group, Duncan, Manu & Parker, with the exception of Duncan were growing into becoming better players. With our players, they have already peaked with the possible exception of Prince.

In addition, the Spurs have a solid mix of inside/outside players, and they also have 3 players that can create their own shot. We have NONE of that, and there in lies our problem.

Back to Flip, his adjustments really suck, but I doubt the Pistons have the stomach to make a change right now. We already know we need player chance, and changing the coach at the same time is a prescription for disaster. Unfortunately, Flip stays.
  9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Re: Flip Flop

I see.... so you want Darko back, only this time as a coach. :)

We might have to settle for Vlade. I'm sure his theatrics after foul calls would be truly entertaining.
  10. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Flip has to be gone.

Last year, team was tired, he said the team wasn't, they just didn't execute.
    This year, team is tired, what's the excuse now?

Flip does not know how to sub, does not understand how much rest his players need. Tay was dying, again. At what point does Flip realize that Tay has to get a breather?

If LeBron could get a rest at the beginning of the 4th in game 5, why cant Tay?

And the trap? WT.... How do you leave any guard in the NBA wide open to just shoot 3's? Was that LH not playing D? Doubtful, or Flip's adjustment to just leave players wide open on the wing, hoping they couldn't shoot.

Horrible.

This team still has legs, no need to blow it up, but it needs guidance, and that aint coming from Flip.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Right on sista Girl:thumb[1]: on all 8 points. This team needs to spend some money and take chances on players who fit the DNA and put Laims in there to pick them with Joe. I watch the WNBA games and bill gets in those ladies faces just like they were men. He is a Detroit man who will take no BS when players want to slack off and call their on shots.
  12. LA Dre

The Spurs also still have the same coach for the past 9+ years in Pops and suppossedly LB was closest we had to Pop's philosophy.....but alas we got rid of him and you can blame part of that LB himself for getting caught up with offers and innuendo in Cleveland and New York during that 2005 finals run. No dought if he had stayed we would be going to the finals for the 4th year in a row and not flaming out with Flip in game six of the ECF two years in a row.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've seen a number of threads resurrected today. Anyone for a very long stroll down pf.com memory lane?

A year later, and in the words of Yogi Berra, "It's like déjà vu all over again"
  14. LA Dre

Yep deja vu is right ...this is about the 8th rethread in the last two days and all of them are revisiting the same thing as last year. if no changes are made, we will see this one again next year.
  15. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

16. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

The Czar and The General...both hugely overrated.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

It only took a year, but now this thread title is correct. :dancingparty:
  18. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

Go Spurs??????????
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Notice the date. I wanted the Spurs to hand Lebron his butt on a platter...which they did. :D